Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Does the punishment fit the crime ?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
d9a6ff7f9f8e4e233a42daf90a373ef9.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If we accept that whatever way we feel about it some people will still litter then that creates jobs. However, before you all take issue with that I am talking about possible voluntary work gangs from local prisons to help anti-littering. Governor speaking to (suitable) inmates....'Fancy a day outside boys collecting rubbish?' Would some jump at it for £11-13 quid a week? You bet they would! Supervised in the right way gangs of crooks could do a great job along the highways, railways and areas outside high population density. I think it would be good all round, cons outside during the day. Cleaned up A roads, motorways and railroad embankments would be the countries gain. Crooks get a taste of work. Job done. Prisoners would benefit, society benefits. Let's have some UK 'chain gangs' (humane ones)

Ok, let's go a stage further and replace all functions that should be carried out by your local council with prison gangs. Would save a ton of money into the process!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To me, that's the problem with the British psyche. Rather than admit we're making a mess and that we should know better, and subsequently take any punishment on the chin, we look for loop holes to wriggle our way out. If I finish a packet of crisps and there's no bin for about 200 yards, it's hardly a hardship to either carry it or put it in my pocket.

Absolutely. Rather like with parking on double yellow lines, you always hear the excuse that "I was only there for 2 minutes" and with litter it is invariably "it was only a small e g wrapper". In Germany the rule is the rule, but because we in Britain tend to go far more for consensus, it leads to these sort of attempts to justify your irresponsible actions. Littering is a problem in the UK which you do not see nearly to the same extent in the near continent. It is a "could not care less" attitude, and when caught, leads to pathetic excuses.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
£75 pound is excessive, it is an easy way for the council to make money. Profits will be split 50/50 between the Council and the company that it has been outsourced to.

If people could be bothered to stick their litter in a bin, there would be no money to be made.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A fixed penalty fine is all well and good [and I agree with [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] about means testing] but I'd like to take it a step further [no, not a public flogging] and factor in community service as a litter picker.

Tariff to be e.g. 1 hour = £10
So, if you're £100k exec you pay a £100 fine and no litter picking
If you're a skint student, zero fine but 10 hours litter picking.

Fair and just?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A fixed penalty fine is all well and good [and I agree with [MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] about means testing] but I'd like to take it a step further [no, not a public flogging] and factor in community service as a litter picker.

Tariff to be e.g. 1 hour = £10
So, if you're £100k exec you pay a £100 fine and no litter picking
If you're a skint student, zero fine but 10 hours litter picking.

Fair and just?

No, not really - you are just giving the rich carte blanche to stick two fingers up to the rest of us, because they can afford to!

Bit like the owners of these supercars - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35927925

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton
DEFRA advice from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/enforcement-officers-issuing-fixed-penalty-notices includes this...

Don’t issue FPNs for accidental littering, for example if something falls from someone’s pocket.

Only issue FPNs where there is evidence of intent to drop litter.

Give offenders the chance to pick up litter before you issue an FPN. Warn them that you will issue an FPN if they don’t.

Problem is that if you hand the contract over to a private company that only benefits from issuing a ticket, then this advice is perhaps less likely to be followed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Argus article says different ???

you're going to take the word of a hack on the Argus over our Edna? shame on you.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Eastbourne this morning, lady going into shop threw a nearly whole lighted cigarette behind her.
Eastbourne normally clean is becoming a bit of a sh1thole in places
Singapore has the right idea ..............................like a ton of bricks if you litter

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
no he wasnt. no one ever stamped out then picked up a butt to put in a bin.

nice easy revenue raiser, and if really successful the city can sack all the road sweepers, reducing costs. win all round.

I have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here