Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three more wins

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We spent the 6th most in players over the 2 seasons and 6th from bottom wages bills so 17th is not an achievement and if we are to remain a long term premier league side we need to raise the bar and belief. Not sure what the agenda is, just to get 17th every season for the next couple of decades ? Maybe

The spend comparison for a new club against long established clubs is silly, as they’ve normally spent fortunes before then getting a PL squad together.

But wages is a fair barometer.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't think we have really looked like relegation candidates in our short stint in the top tier until now, I think games are running out and I genuinely can't see where the points are coming from.

Sad to say but I think we're down but hopefully the team keep fighting till the end and we give it a good go.

I also think we should throw everything at the fa cup.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some will end up as facts we just don't know which yet.

Yeh of course - but NSC assumptions always make me chuckle. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say no game is guaranteed... I reckon I’ll be right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why is finishing 17th a good achievement for us ?

You really need to ask? It will secure us a third season in the PL, and a third season of PL millions with which to continue building. We've got the numbers in now, so forget about adding squad players - another £100M coming our way will need to be spent on one or two players of the calibre that can take control of a match and dictate the whole thing, and with a goal threat too: players the like of which we do not yet have at the moment. The reason the likes of Palarse and Burnley can occasionally turn over top six teams and we can't is basically that they have had more £100M payouts than we have.
Seventeenth might, I agree, be a bit disappointing after where we were - in PL division 2 and looking up rather than down - at Christmas, but it's still a decent result.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We spent the 6th most in players over the 2 seasons and 6th from bottom wages bills so 17th is not an achievement and if we are to remain a long term premier league side we need to raise the bar and belief. Not sure what the agenda is, just to get 17th every season for the next couple of decades ? Maybe

What is good enough ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Three wins should do it, and it's certainly in our own hands. With home matches against Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton & Newcastle to come, it might get a bit squeaky-bum time, but I would like to think we will be ok.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Same players, same tactics, same performances = same results

What can we change to alter the outcome? Luck??
As Einstein
08a3ec159221f4185ecddeb11113e470.jpg
says

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Is there really anyone on here who can see an easy win in any of our remaining games. Not me, I see plenty of banana skins. Need the Albion to spring a totally unexpected win, something history tells us is certainly likely. The supposedly easy ones are where we tend to fall over.

Yep, if it's the Albion we all know and love then we will probably lose to Hudds and Soton whilst picking up surprising wins against Spurs and Arsenal. I think we'll be fine but it probably won't be an easy ride. And it's MUCH more fun to have a squeaky bum end of the season than mid table mediocrity so I say bring it on (providing we stay up of course :))

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Typical both Burnley and Palace winning. I had Burnley down as a draw and Palace losing yesterday. Everyone stepping up, we have to do the same starting with Leicester, otherwise it's curtains.

Absolutely this but just can’t see it happening
The players know they are in a relegation battle.
I don’t think a lot of them have the mentality needed
for this type of scrap but we will see

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely this but just can’t see it happening
The players know they are in a relegation battle.
I don’t think a lot of them have the mentality needed
for this type of scrap but we will see

they had the mentality last season. it was a scrap and we're better placed this year than last. We forget . Remember how it looked when we went away to West Brom and caved.
And how nobody thought we'd get points from Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd in the run in. (and still lost a fair few but managed to survive with points to spare)

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
they had the mentality last season. it was a scrap and we're better placed this year than last. We forget . Remember how it looked when we went away to West Brom and caved.
And how nobody thought we'd get points from Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd in the run in. (and still lost a fair few but managed to survive with points to spare)
Fair comment but I think it seems a bit different this season
Maybe the current form will change and we will end up
with points to spare hopefully it will start on Tuesday

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You really need to ask? It will secure us a third season in the PL, and a third season of PL millions with which to continue building. We've got the numbers in now, so forget about adding squad players - another £100M coming our way will need to be spent on one or two players of the calibre that can take control of a match and dictate the whole thing, and with a goal threat too: players the like of which we do not yet have at the moment. The reason the likes of Palarse and Burnley can occasionally turn over top six teams and we can't is basically that they have had more £100M payouts than we have.
Seventeenth might, I agree, be a bit disappointing after where we were - in PL division 2 and looking up rather than down - at Christmas, but it's still a decent result.

Agreed. In Palace's team yesterday they had a £25m player on the bench and who has seemingly been discarded, a £25m defender and multiple other ££ signings, they're playing their star player reportedly £130K a week, and can afford to sign players for £10m, who score once and are never seen again.
They signed 14 players in their first season, none of whom are still at the club and nearly half of them left within 12 months.
Albion can't , yet, afford to be so profligate. And are currently 3 points behind them with a game in hand...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The earliest that "Teams that can't catch us" can start is on March 9th.

If it starts that early, we'll be in a great position.

:albion2:

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep, if it's the Albion we all know and love then we will probably lose to Hudds and Soton whilst picking up surprising wins against Spurs and Arsenal. I think we'll be fine but it probably won't be an easy ride. And it's MUCH more fun to have a squeaky bum end of the season than mid table mediocrity so I say bring it on (providing we stay up of course :))

If it’s the Albion I know, we’ll lose all of those. Our 1st 11 just isn’t good enough. Prepare for Championship everyone. Shows over folks, the big money signings have been decidedly average if not below

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here