Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin advice

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Going to Berlin for 3 nights staying Hotel City Ost , Frankfurter Allee , Berlin 10247 DE and flying to Berlin Tegel.
Is there a bus/tram/train/transport pass for multi days that you can purchase at the airport.
Any tips on good sights to see and those that are overrated and any good bars restaurants etc.
always good to hear from people who have been rather than relying on tripadvisor, thanks.

Great city. Tegel is a bit more of a pain than Schonefeld, which has it's own rail line. You can get a bus from Tegel in to the city, there is an express with less stops that took about half hour/40 mins when we were last there; I suspect the sow bus would be painful.

Depending on how much tourism you are up for you can purchae a Berlin card, which includes transport for however many days you buy it for. There are different levels with either discounts or free entry to attractions and the most expensive one will get you in to all the museums on museum island. Loads to do, Nazi bunkers, Spy museum, river boat trip, life in East Germany museum, Parliament visit (book in advance - it is free) with access to the roof for excellent city views. Free walking tours go from just outside Starbucks near the Brandenburg gates (you tip at the end if you enjoy) which will give you a good idea of surroundings and some historical background.

Some great pubs, both traditional German ones with large food portions (if meat eater then get on the pork knuckle) & modern craft beer style ones.

We've been 4 times in the last decade and we're not bored yet. Enjoy.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, we got a multi day ticket at the airport that allowed us to jump on and off the trains and trams etc. Not very much money & great value. We actually found most things easy to walk between though, and saw some great places we wouldn't have done if we had taken public transport.
Worth doing the Reichstag if you can book in to it...the views from the top are amazing on a good day - and to still see the bullet hole damage to the building reminds you of its violent past.
Over rated? Checkpoint Charlie. Worth a glance, but I was more interested in the curry-wurst from the vendor just over the road tbh...Dont bother with Hitlers bunker either..it really is just a car park with a sign. Blink and you'll miss it.
Things worth seeing - the memorial to the Jews. Also the Topography of Terror (Museum on the site of the main SS Security building, just round the corner from Checkpoint Charlie) is a sobering experience, but well worth going to. Fascinating stuff.
We loved Berlin (we went for my 40th) and we will definitely be going back sometime.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
A bit left-field, but I organised a stag do to Berlin a few years ago - which was at this time of year. After doing a few Segway Tours in the USA I found they did them in Berlin.

The 'contingency' were not keen. "A Segway Tour? Cheesy, and I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.." was the unanimous reply. I told them to bear with me and give it a try.

After full afternoon with a brilliant local guide who told us SO much about Berlin, plus the fact it was a bit of fun riding a Segway (you get the hang of it quickly) they all unanimously agreed at the end it was easily the best activity of the whole trip.

https://www.fattiretours.com/berlin/segway-tours

We did absolutely everything from Hitlers Bunker and Jewish Memorial to Checkpoint Charlie to the Goverment Buildings to the Berlin Wall and so on. We did the lot - and had a personal guide to boot!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I was in Berlin last August. The Berlin Welcome Card is good value for getting around the city and can be purchased for 3 days. You can buy in advance or at the airport. The trams, trains, buses and tube are all excellent. Download the Citymapper app and it will tell you the best way to get about in Berlin (works in London too).

The Sandemans walking tours were very good, starting by the Brandenburg gate. Some you pay for, some are "free" but you are expected to pay anyway at the end (they cost about €15-20 either way).
We also did a tour of the Reichstag building and the glass dome. This was interesting and free, but you have to book in advance on their website.

theboybilly

I think Berlin is quite the place for street scams. The one we encountered was one about raising money for a School for the Deaf. They had clipboards, flyers - everything. That was by Checkpoint Charlie - when we were approached one of the gentlemen working on CC looked across and waved to us gesturing to walk away. Just be aware.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Went to Berlin for the markets two Christmases ago and loved it. Being first time there, we did all the usual touristy things, using the hop-on hop-off tour bus which we bought a 2 day ticket for. Very moved by the holocaust memorial, and visiting "the wall" is quite a sobering experience too. Food wise, I couldn't agree more with the comment above about the pork knuckle, although being Christmas market time, I stuffed myself stupid on bratwurst and glühwein most of the time :lolol:

Sadly, memories of the visit have been marred somewhat by the terrorist attack on the Christmas market at Breitscheidplatz the day after we flew home.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Going to Berlin for 3 nights staying7 Hotel City Ost , Frankfurter Allee , Berlin 1024 DE and flying to Berlin Tegel.
Is there a bus/tram/train/transport pass for multi days that you can purchase at the airport.
Any tips on good sights to see and those that are overrated and any good bars restaurants etc.
always good to hear from people who have been rather than relying on tripadvisor, thanks.

TXL Bus to Alexander Platz then change to the U5 to Samariter Straße. Hotel is a few minutes walk. Good area for the City East nightlife. Easy access to Boxhanger Platz & Simon-Dach-Strasse area where you'll find plenty. There are one, two, three and weekly transport cards that cover everything. Day ticket (tageskarte) costs 7 euro & covers Zone A & B. Unless you're planing on going to Potsdam or Schonefeld, you don't need a ticket covering Zone C. The Welcome Card is good value if you plan visit loads of museums etc. Includes discounted entry to many visitor attractions plus unlimited travel on the city transport. You need to do the maths to see if it'll work for you. Whichever ticket you purchase, make sure you validate the godam thing once and ONLY once the first time of using it. Plain clothes ticket controllers are plentiful and some see tourists as easy pickings. There is a visitor information bureau by the exit to the buses at Tegel that sell tickets. They can advise what is best if you ask them. Be aware, the queue is often long. Best to do some spadework prior.

https://shop.bvg.de/index.php/tickets

If you're into Cold war and WW2 history, you are spoilt for choice. I highly recommend a visit the the Berlin Wall Memorial & visitors centre at Bernauer Straße. Start at Nordbahnhof S Bahn, one of the former DDR ghost stations. Some fantastic pictures and information boards on the station passages. A museum in itself. I've posted the link below as it explains all better than I could.I personally wouldn't bother with Checkpoint Charlie. Now little more than a tourist trap. EastSide Gallery is worth a look. Again, it's become touristy. Plenty of annoying dinks with selfie sticks just interested in a pose in front of a mural rather than the history of the wall.

Beware of scammers around the tourist sites claiming to be deaf & mute & carrying a clipboard with a load of BS about their 'charity'. A firm go away in either English or German and they will rediscover their hearing.

https://www.berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/de/

https://www.visitberlin.de/en

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Make sure you get your tube tickets validated on one of the little stand thingies before getting on the train. No one told me I had to do this and nearly ended up with an International diplomatic incident.

Don't go to the zoo. It's depressing. Turned my opinion completely on Zoo's in general and I've now sworn never to go to a zoo unless it's a sanctuary of some kind. Seeing the bears and big cats pacing in tiny cages was horrible.

Otherwise blinding city.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
This seems like an opportune thread to ask, me, [MENTION=1874]Falmer Flutter ©[/MENTION] , and a few other Albion are going to be in going to be in Berlin during the Millwall Cup game, any suggestions on where to watch? Ideally they'd have a lovely beer selection. For example, would the Stone Brewery pubs show an English game? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I got asked about Berlin by a mate a few years ago.. I got this info from a friend who has lived there for a number of years..

Mitte: A lot of nice Bars are on Weinbergweg/Kastanienalle/Linienstraße/Torstraße (I like "Odessa Bar" Torstraße 89, Ecke Gormann, "Bar 3" on Weydingerstr. 20 or "august II." on auguststrasse 2
Kreuzberg und Neukölln: "little otik" is a tiny restaurant in Kreuzberg, Graefestr. 71 where they normally serve simple but good food, in the neigbourhood you'll find some nice bars as well ("Zum Fuchsbau" on Planufer 95 f.e.), some Bars/Clubs on Skalitzer Straße you might like as well ("Farbfernseher", "Monarch", "Westgermany" or "Möbelolfe"). Or in some distance "Ritter Butzke" (Ritterstraße 26, a today mostly by the young easyjet-set partypeople joined electro club)
Around metro station "Schlesisches Tor" are some nice places as well: for example the small electro club Chalet (Vor dem Schlesischen Tor 3)
A mixture between immigrant neighborhood and international Hipster Community define the northern parts of Neukölln; especially around Weserstraße you find some nice spots in an interesting surrounding (I would recommend "Das Tier")

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
This seems like an opportune thread to ask, me, [MENTION=1874]Falmer Flutter ©[/MENTION] , and a few other Albion are going to be in going to be in Berlin during the Millwall Cup game, any suggestions on where to watch? Ideally they'd have a lovely beer selection. For example, would the Stone Brewery pubs show an English game? Thanks in advance

The only places I would expect to show it are the rather naff & expensive 'Irish Bars'. Most other places will be showing Bundesliga at that time on a Sunday. Chances are the Killkenny at Hackerschar Markt or Belushi's on Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße will show it on one of their screens. Both touristy but serve their purpose if a Brighton game is on.

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I got asked about Berlin by a mate a few years ago.. I got this info from a friend who has lived there for a number of years..

Mitte: A lot of nice Bars are on Weinbergweg/Kastanienalle/Linienstraße/Torstraße (I like "Odessa Bar" Torstraße 89, Ecke Gormann, "Bar 3" on Weydingerstr. 20 or "august II." on auguststrasse 2
Kreuzberg und Neukölln: "little otik" is a tiny restaurant in Kreuzberg, Graefestr. 71 where they normally serve simple but good food, in the neigbourhood you'll find some nice bars as well ("Zum Fuchsbau" on Planufer 95 f.e.), some Bars/Clubs on Skalitzer Straße you might like as well ("Farbfernseher", "Monarch", "Westgermany" or "Möbelolfe"). Or in some distance "Ritter Butzke" (Ritterstraße 26, a today mostly by the young easyjet-set partypeople joined electro club)
Around metro station "Schlesisches Tor" are some nice places as well: for example the small electro club Chalet (Vor dem Schlesischen Tor 3)
A mixture between immigrant neighborhood and international Hipster Community define the northern parts of Neukölln; especially around Weserstraße you find some nice spots in an interesting surrounding (I would recommend "Das Tier")

Some good shouts there. I'll throw in the Obebaumeckehaus at Schlesisches Tor, across the street from Burgermeister. If you fancy fast food from what was once a mens urinal, the latter is for you. The queues are always long and its somewhat a Berlin institution, so I guess there isn't too much 'extra flavouring' in the food. The 'Obe' is a great old school kniepe. Cheap beer, live football, loud music, and just a little grungy. The legendary Bei schlawinchen on Schönleinstraße is worth a visit if you're feeling bold. It first opened its doors in 1978 and has never closed since. I suspect the carpet is the original as it squelches as you walk. Often an interesting 'social study' in there. Don't act the loud idiot tourist in there. The owner and staff are welcoming, tolerant and friendly as are most 'regulars'. Act the clown & you'll be bounced out the door.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I asked the same question when I went two years ago. Just did a quick search here and found a reply I got from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Don't know if it still applies. As it happened, we didn't end up going anywhere to watch the match so can't comment

The options are very limited to non-existent. You will only find English football in ex-pat pubs and even then the Premier League takes priority. The Oscar Wilde on Friedrichstrasse in Mitte has shown our play-off games in the past but these are only shown on their big screen when there was no competing games. Occasionally they have also shown midday Championship games on a small tv above the bar with no sound whilst the rest of pub cheers and groans to Chelsea or Man U. It isn't a brilliant environment when the rest of the pub are watching another game.

http://www.oscar-wilde-irish-pub.de/sport.html

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I asked the same question when I went two years ago. Just did a quick search here and found a reply I got from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Don't know if it still applies. As it happened, we didn't end up going anywhere to watch the match so can't comment

Pretty much still the situation as suggested in my earlier post. You can forget the Oscar Wilde suggested in that old post. That closed down ages ago. No loss to the Berlin bar scene tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just where is Herr Tubthumper when you need him?

I’m here. [MENTION=24085]Nostalgia[/MENTION] and [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] noted, I’ll answer all your questions (plus more) over the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here