Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This......Too many people.

Tell people to keep their cock in their pants.

By and large they are. The average birth rate per woman in the world has dropped to below 2.5, the lowest level ever, and is predicted to drop further. In 1965 it was 5. The more access the extreme poor have to basic medicine, food, education and contraception, the more the average birthrate per woman falls.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Didn't realise you'd appointed yourself as spokesman on behalf of the majority of NSC. Congratulations on your new post.

Happy to start a poll if you like ?

Meanwhile, you were absolutely asking them to justify their decision. And they did give up their own time to protest.

No I didn't and no they didn't. They gave up time they should have been in school - it would have been a far more powerful statement if they gave up their leisure time - but you knew that was what I was saying, you were just being an arse.

Does it matter - apart from to you?

Well yes actually. Climate change is an important topic so the bigger the impact the better. A number of people on this thread share my view so one would suggest that there are a fair few that do outside NSC.

Why hold a protest when fewer would have turned up? Kind of defeats the object, doesn't it? :dunce:

Ah so you agree ..... thank you.

I have no idea how many would have turned up. But then, I don't track the lives of young people to the same extent you evidently do.

I asked you to guess, estimate or even provide an idea of numbers being higher, lower or the same if it was a Saturday. You've choosen to avoid the question for your own political reasons ..... i.e. you know it is HIGHLY likely the number would have been less on a Saturday but that wouldn't support your narrow narrative.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did you not read that I am not a fan of any political party? Yet you assume that I am Tory ??? and I have never been a fan of the i360. :shrug: Ultimately the project was always in trouble and the Greens made sure it always will be. Stop being so pedantic and arguing the toss when it is clear who was ultimately responsible for it. I don't need to be reminded of how long ago it was conceived because these things like the King Alfred get passed from one party to the next and suddenly no one seems to be accountable for what does and doesn't happen, or how about "it's not the Greens fault it's the Tories" and suddenly I am a Tory by your accounts just because I pointed out that the Greens have hijacked the school strike???

Where in all that have I even remotely said or even implied you were a Tory? How mad is that? Where on earth have you got that from. Bizarre.

Secondly, I'm not being pedantic, you said the Greens were responsible for the i360, I am merely pointing out that all they were responsible for is a funding arrangement that was put to the council. The whole council is accountable for that decision. That is how democracy works. A minority council does mean they would have been out voted had the other parties gone against it.

Very odd. Don't state things if you can't accept them being refuted as factually incorrect.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Where in all that have I even remotely said or even implied you were a Tory? How mad is that? Where on earth have you got that from. Bizarre.

Secondly, I'm not being pedantic, you said the Greens were responsible for the i360, I am merely pointing out that all they were responsible for is a funding arrangement that was put to the council. The whole council is accountable for that decision. That is how democracy works. A minority council does mean they would have been out voted had the other parties gone against it.

Very odd. Don't state things if you can't accept them being refuted as factually incorrect.

Being pedantic, it was all the Greens plus two Tories that voted through the now DEFAULTED public loan.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yes I misread your post about the Tory bit.

Look it started off as a private enterprise and then Kitcak came up with the council/government loan when the developers couldn't raise the funds. The Tax payers then became guarantors for it. Jason KC saved a dead duck instead of letting it die. Totally his responsibility.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Got a call from the wife to say our 14yr old had bunked school and was on the march & could I go and find him. I left work, went to the Level, found aforementioned son, bought him lunch, said well done & left him to it!!

What will be your reaction when he bunks off school next time for any reason? He will expect you to support him,whatever

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You think the two are mutually exclusive?

Jesus wept, no wonder they're protesting.

I respect all your posts over the years on the environment, sustainable transport and similar. I’m of the same mindset, have been all my life and do all I can.

But this should not be party politicised and people shouldn’t be neatly pigeon holed (Tory or non-Green = baddie). I’m generally right of centre on economics/fiscal thinking, but lifelong big on climate change, anti blood sports, recycle everything permissable, do tons for native South Downs flora and fauna, compost, despise Trump over climate change, etc, etc.

This is not a strictly left-right thing. Only the Green Party hold the moral high ground here. Labour governments and politicians (behind the sustainable sound bites) and union leaders favour consumption, industrial growth, support for old industries.

I’ve voted for Lucas and Tories at other times. But I do far more and care far more for the planet than several Labour supporting mates who run a couple of Range Rovers, fly long haul, don’t give two tits about recycling.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Some of the ignorant, dismissive and frankly offensive replies from people on here just shows WHY the you get generations are so hacked off! Then just look at the governments response! They call it disruptive!? REALLY?? So it is ok for them to be disruptive and **** the environment and do brexit but if kids take a day off school to protest about the mess they are being given it is not!? **** me, wake up people.

Kids know no better,its up to their parents and school teachers to ensure there is no action from school children before their schooling is complete

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are in school to learn and at this stage they are acting in ignorance and the opportunity to miss a day schooling seems to them to be the upper most thought,i cant believe that their parents have supported their actions

:lolol: :lolol: at school to learn :lolol: :lolol:
That level of innocence is so sweet in this rancid jaded world.

Imagine the shock on the kids, who stayed in school, if they were told to learn something, the day before halfterm.

Bless you.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't think most of the kids were politically engaged at all. Might have started out with good intent but like many so called protest marches has been highjacked by the extreme left and the work shy.

Would never let any children of mine go on a march for precisely the reason that they usually get infiltrated by some very nasty people.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
What the actual ****!?
So you think people should only protest and strike on their own time!? You think all those miners should just held strikes on the weekend? **** me.

You're comparing the miners strike with kids bunking off school ?? Really ?? You probably weren't even born at the time of the miners strike !

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yes, loads of coverage and governmental attention which has lead to action. Not enough for many people but action none the less.

I'll take that as a no they don't do anything out of the ordinary to save the planet. Which gets back to my original point ... a nice day off school and virtue signalling kudos but makes naff all difference to anything in reality.

I realise these threads are only meant to elicit one happy clappy response and any deviation from that view is blasphemy but fortunately, 'cynics' or those with a different view are still just about allowed to express alternative opinions in 21st century UK.

:bla: :bla: :bla: :bla:

Assume all you want.

"there will be a bunch of older people who will make snide judgemental comments, probably be dismissive and patronise them."

You'll probably quote this and say something else that aligns with your view, making more assumptions and judgements that are way off the mark.

But hey at least you'll have the last word, which will mean (to you) that you've won....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here