1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone see this earlier this month?
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...er-Related-Junk-miles-and-how-to-avoid-them-0

Can someone do me a favour?
If I ever come to the conclusion after a bike ride that I've just ridden 'junk miles', can they take my bike away and give it to someone more deserving, then shoot me.

If you’re unsure whether a ride is junk or not, ask yourself these questions:

- Does this ride have a goal/purpose?

- Does it fit into my overall training plan?

- Am I recovered enough and in the right frame of mind to achieve that goal?

Three yes answers and you’re good to go. One or more no answers and you should be questioning the validity of the session.

- Is it sunny

- Will I be back before the kids are home from school.

- Do I have to do at least 1 decent climb.

Three yes answers and you’re good to go. One or more no answers and you should be questioning the validity of the session

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

- Does this ride have a goal/purpose?

- Does it fit into my overall training plan?

- Am I recovered enough and in the right frame of mind to achieve that goal?

Three yes answers and you’re good to go. One or more no answers and you should be questioning the validity of the session.

- Is it sunny

- Will I be back before the kids are home from school.

- Do I have to do at least 1 decent climb.

Three yes answers and you’re good to go. One or more no answers and you should be questioning the validity of the session

Riding for pleasure

No matter how seriously you take your cycling, it’s important to maintain perspective. Just going out for a ride for the sake of riding, without structure and without technology, can give you a real boost, especially mentally. In the same way that the occasional bit of junk food isn’t the end of the world, the odd bit of junk mileage every now and then won’t hurt.

Ahh, that's nice. :wanker:

Might make the effort to get to a few races just to boo Team Sky. Not that automatons are likely to be affected by booing as they're too busy looking at the numbers.

The mystery to me is how G manages to maintain such a sense of fun surrounded by that lot!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Riding for pleasure

No matter how seriously you take your cycling, it’s important to maintain perspective. Just going out for a ride for the sake of riding, without structure and without technology, can give you a real boost, especially mentally. In the same way that the occasional bit of junk food isn’t the end of the world, the odd bit of junk mileage every now and then won’t hurt.

Ahh, that's nice. :wanker:

Might make the effort to get to a few races just to boo Team Sky. Not that automatons are likely to be affected by booing as they're too busy looking at the numbers.

The mystery to me is how G manages to maintain such a sense of fun surrounded by that lot!

Go on a ride without Strava and miss out on showing the world what you've done....:stupid:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Go on a ride without Strava and miss out on showing the world what you've done....:stupid:

The private button is your friend👍

I confess to having recorded every mile I've ridden this year, but that'll change next year. My trusty Bryton will only be used for navigation purposes next year, so on most rides it'll be staying at home as I indulge in all the junk miles I can stuff my legs and senses with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The private button is your friend��

I confess to having recorded every mile I've ridden this year, but that'll change next year. My trusty Bryton will only be used for navigation purposes next year, so on most rides it'll be staying at home as I indulge in all the junk miles I can stuff my legs and senses with.

For the first time in 5 years of ownership, I downloaded a route onto my Garmin.
I wanted to go to Box Hill, but also wanted to miss Leigh Hill etc.

I was amazed at how good it was, and accurate notifying on direction changes, right up until the moment...

...I got onto new roads. :facepalm:

It had a flip out, and didn't come back on line until Lower Beeding. :lol:

(Oh and 10, our little class warrior, it most definitely wasn't the route for you, somewhat opulent :lol: )

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For the first time in 5 years of ownership, I downloaded a route onto my Garmin.
I wanted to go to Box Hill, but also wanted to miss Leigh Hill etc.

I was amazed at how good it was, and accurate notifying on direction changes, right up until the moment...

...I got onto new roads. :facepalm:

It had a flip out, and didn't come back on line until Lower Beeding. :lol:

(Oh and 10, our little class warrior, it most definitely wasn't the route for you, somewhat opulent :lol: )

I must admit that the navigation on these things is another double edged sword (don't mind my rant about numbers, each to their own really, but I'm in full warrior mode at the mo :blush: )

I find them great for plotting new routes on unfamiliar lanes. This expands my local knowledge rather than inhibit it as I can usually then remember where I've been in my head. Also, this year I've plotted the routes for a lot of group rides, and on those I need to know the right directions on the small sections I'm either completely new to or slightly unfamiliar with.

It is nice to ride without any navigation at all though, and just dive down new lanes to see where they lead when out on my own. As you said before, you're hardly likely to get cry for mummy lost on a bike round here. Also, a certain poster on here I sometimes ride with has a habit of noting a few villages on a piece of paper and following his nose when riding abroad. I admit, his sense of direction is superb and is much better than following my pre planned routes that turn out to be sometimes less than ideal :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I must admit that the navigation on these things is another double edged sword (don't mind my rant about numbers, each to their own really, but I'm in full warrior mode at the mo :blush: )

I find them great for plotting new routes on unfamiliar lanes. This expands my local knowledge rather than inhibit it as I can usually then remember where I've been in my head. Also, this year I've plotted the routes for a lot of group rides, and on those I need to know the right directions on the small sections I'm either completely new to or slightly unfamiliar with.

It is nice to ride without any navigation at all though, and just dive down new lanes to see where they lead when out on my own. As you said before, you're hardly likely to get cry for mummy lost on a bike round here. Also, a certain poster on here I sometimes ride with has a habit of noting a few villages on a piece of paper and following his nose when riding abroad. I admit, his sense of direction is superb and is much better than following my pre planned routes that turn out to be sometimes less than ideal :lol:

I do the noting thing to, and did on Tuesday as a backup.
Once I've written something down it usually sticks, and yet I was shite at O-Levels. :shrug: (although there are extenuating factors there).

I was surprised how easy it was, I played around on PlotaRoute and dropped it into my Garmin, job done.

In fairness it wasn't really necessary, as going north of Horsham was pretty straight forward, but even that seemed difficult compared to coming back - just keep going south!!

I just didn't think I had the legs to do the miles, so wanted to be extra cautious and not cost myself a 'valuable' 5 miles or so.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Are any of you guys regular winter commuters?

What are you wearing? Because I froze my tits off this morning and then sweated like a boil in the bag vegetable.

Currently wearing a normal t-shirt, old Albion hoodie and an Altura soft shell waterproof and windproof jacket.

Started off freezing and then got too hot. Wearing so many layers was also quite uncomfortable under the back pack.

What should I be wearing? Will just a merino wool base layer be enough or is there anything else out there I should consider?

I'm also wearing jeans which are also not only uncomfortable but also freezing on the inner thigh and knackers!

Should I go for a pair of Endura Hummvee trousers or similar with a liner short? Luckily I have enough space in the bag for a change of clothes once I get to work.

Any advice on particular products? I don't want to go full cyclist look as I'll look like a proper eejit on a mountain bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What are you wearing? Because I froze my tits off this morning and then sweated like a boil in the bag vegetable.

Currently wearing a normal t-shirt, old Albion hoodie and an Altura soft shell waterproof and windproof jacket.

Started off freezing and then got too hot. Wearing so many layers was also quite uncomfortable under the back pack.

What should I be wearing? Will just a merino wool base layer be enough or is there anything else out there I should consider?

I'm also wearing jeans which are also not only uncomfortable but also freezing on the inner thigh and knackers!

Should I go for a pair of Endura Hummvee trousers or similar with a liner short? Luckily I have enough space in the bag for a change of clothes once I get to work.

Any advice on particular products? I don't want to go full cyclist look as I'll look like a proper eejit on a mountain bike.

Be cold or look silly?

I have no idea about mountain bike clothing, but I guess it's fairly safe to say their winter kit is just a copy of ours.

The coldest I've comfortably ridden in is -8, and with the exception of the my toes I was lovely and warm

You're right about base layer, basically you just need to layer up, and all tucked in.
You need to get your sweat away from your body so good wicking qualities.

There's plenty of gloves and socks that'll do the trick, but I'm affraid the jeans will have to go unless you want to wear some nice thick tights underneath.

Oh and I love my snood just around my neck and perhaps over my mouth and nose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I commute all year round, except in snow, when I walk instead, but the commute is so short that I just wear my normal (outdoor) work clothes.

Two things I will say.

1) I'd rather look like a tit (I already do anyway) than be uncomfortable.

2) Buy once, and buy right when it comes to clothing.

Lidl and Aldi winter jackets for example aren't breathable at all and you'll only end up replacing them. I've found their base layers pretty good though. Breathability and good wicking generally comes at a price, but it's worth it in the end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this you [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] ?

[tweet]1057248290092314624[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here