Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marco Silva

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Errr...no they weren't. He took over on January 5th when they were bottom of the table but only 3 points from safety, so they were FAR from doomed at that point, with half a season still to go. He spent around £20m in January on Grosicki, Henrikson, Evandro, Ranocchia and Elabdellaoui, and brought in N'Diaye, Niasse and Markovic on loan. They finished 17th, 6 points from safety.

I'm not saying keeping Hull up would've been easy by any means, but lets not make out he took over a doomed club. There was time to turn it round, but he failed. And then went and stank the place out at Watford.

I honestly have NO idea how this guys stock is so high. Maybe he'll show why it is next season, but I'm mightily glad its not MY club he's rocked up at.
Ermm......isn't 17th. usually a safe place to finish? To finish 17th. and to to be six points from safety looks like a lot of bad luck............

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Errr...no they weren't. He took over on January 5th when they were bottom of the table but only 3 points from safety, so they were FAR from doomed at that point, with half a season still to go. He spent around £20m in January on Grosicki, Henrikson, Evandro, Ranocchia and Elabdellaoui, and brought in N'Diaye, Niasse and Markovic on loan. They finished 17th, 6 points from safety.

I'm not saying keeping Hull up would've been easy by any means, but lets not make out he took over a doomed club. There was time to turn it round, but he failed. And then went and stank the place out at Watford.

I honestly have NO idea how this guys stock is so high. Maybe he'll show why it is next season, but I'm mightily glad its not MY club he's rocked up at.

I'm not trying to argue that he's an exceptional manager, but 21 points from 18 games isn't an awful record at PL level for a side like Hull. And he left Watford in 10th place, which isn't exactly stinking the place out IMO. Won the Greek league with Olympiakos, won the Portuguese Cup with Sporting and took Estoril into Europe.

A pretty average record and I'm sure he'll do averagely at Everton. Just not a big risk in my book.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ermm......isn't 17th. usually a safe place to finish? To finish 17th. and to to be six points from safety looks like a lot of bad luck............

Usually. But they were THAT bad the PL relegated them anyway. It was just delaying the inevitable otherwise.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not trying to argue that he's an exceptional manager, but 21 points from 18 games isn't an awful record at PL level for a side like Hull. And he left Watford in 10th place, which isn't exactly stinking the place out IMO. Won the Greek league with Olympiakos, won the Portuguese Cup with Sporting and took Estoril into Europe.

A pretty average record and I'm sure he'll do averagely at Everton. Just not a big risk in my book.

I didn't say he was a big risk. I think he's (at best) average, which is why I'm just not altogether sure why he is apparently so highly rated and sought after. As I said in my earlier post, he's had some moderate success abroad, but nothing to write home about, and he's done nothing whatsoever in this country yet. He'll probable bumble along at Everton and get them to midtable, but the Everton fans are on thin ice if they start grizzling about being 10th, because they were the ones demanding Allardyce got binned so they could play like Brazil. Well, lets see how that pans out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If he makes them regular top 6 he’s doing an exceptional job.

If they end 7th, he’s done nothing special. Their squad cost (even before this summer’s spend) is on a different level to the clubs who’ve spent 8th, 9th most.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Usually. But they were THAT bad the PL relegated them anyway. It was just delaying the inevitable otherwise.
OK. But you can't count that as a ringing endorsement of Siva's managerial CV!¬ As I said, it may work out, but replacing a manager as good as Allardyce with him is a big risk.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK. But you can't count that as a ringing endorsement of Siva's managerial CV!¬ As I said, it may work out, but replacing a manager as good as Allardyce with him is a big risk.

You're arguing with the wrong bloke - I'm also a long way from convinced Silva is anything very special. I think he's just the latest trendy foreign name, thats how he's got the job. It certainly can't be based on his rather mediocre CV. He'll soon get found out again IMO.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're arguing with the wrong bloke - I'm also a long way from convinced Silva is anything very special. I think he's just the latest trendy foreign name, thats how he's got the job. It certainly can't be based on his rather mediocre CV. He'll soon get found out again IMO.

Perhaps we should agree to agree then? Would be a nice changes for NSC!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think Silva is foreign Pardew. He starts off well (forget West Brom) and it turns to shit overnight but the start gives him enough credit to rinse and repeat. He will be a success of sorts at Everton because he's not BFS and the liberated players will play for him. That is, until they realise he is the Emperor's new clothes and the cycle starts again.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Groundhog Day Silva thread.

For my money some are underselling his achievements in Portugal, Greece and Hull. I won't dredge out the post I made the first time we did this which detailed the first silverware in years, the league points record in Greece and the PPG at Hull which would have seen them finish 7th or 8th or something.

I predict he'll do better than Allardyce in every respect.

Bit bizarre saying people only rate him because of his suit and his accent when there is obviously enough in the stats themselves to conclude (if you are so inclined) that he's a very good manager.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Good points.

On that last one, it was covered by Kevin Ratcliffe on 5Live this afternoon - Europe’s big name managers / flavour of the months, simply weren’t interested.
I found it very amusing when Everton said that their main target was Simeone. Then (when he'd obviously laughed and said "who the **** are they?") they went for BFS.

The best bit being that cunning Sam turned them down until they offered him an 18 month contract (pints of wine included presumably) knowing full well that he'd get the push at the end of the season and collect.

The owner thinks he's bought Real Madrid. It's Everton mate. Funny.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014

You are right about Hull being far from doomed when Silva took over...they had a winning home streak of 4/5 games which took them OUT of th bottom three until they inexplicably froze at home to already-relegated Sunderland (0-2) and followed this up with a calamitous 4-0 defeat in a penultimate-match "six-pointer" against relegation-threatened Crystal Palace. This result relegated the Tigers and Silva's final match in charge was a pitiful 7-1 home loss to Spurs.

I hope Silva fails at Everton but that is only because last January he put the block on Andy Robertson's £10 million move to Burnley after the owners (the Allams) had agreed to the deal and personal terms with the player sorted. Robertson was not agitating for a move but was amenable to it before the "meddlesome" Silva poked his nose in and persuaded AR to delay a move to the summer.................step in Liverpool to get Robertson for £2 million less:annoyed::annoyed:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Still don’t understand how this fraud got the Everton job. Yes they had some injuries but still put out a strong side with 8/9 first team usual starters and yet they were dreadful at home to a very average West Ham.

How long before Everton realise they’ve made a massive mistake and fallen for Silva’s agent, and the media’s fabrication of Silva’s ability as a manager?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still don’t understand how this fraud got the Everton job. Yes they had some injuries but still put out a strong side with 8/9 first team usual starters and yet they were dreadful at home to a very average West Ham.

How long before Everton realise they’ve made a massive mistake and fallen for Silva’s agent, and the media’s fabrication of Silva’s ability as a manager?

They kept Big Sam all season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whoever the manager is, they have some serious squad rebuilding to do. The best part of £400m has been spent in 4 years, yet they need strengthening in so many areas. I mean to achieve their aim of top 6 and winning major trophies.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So the best agent in the business has done it again and got Marco another excellent job at Fulham. I don't know how he does it?!

Baffling isn't it.

He was sacked after 18 months at Goodison having spent £100m to finish 8th in his first season, but then left them in the relegation zone halfway through the second. Utterly predictable, yet he still gets given decent jobs. I guess he must interview well.

He certainly gets lots of practice.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Baffling isn't it.

He was sacked after 18 months at Goodison having spent £100m to finish 8th in his first season, but then left them in the relegation zone halfway through the second. Utterly predictable, yet he still gets given decent jobs. I guess he must interview well.

He certainly gets lots of practice.

BUT..... he is mantotty.. i for one will appreciate a return!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here