Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners - Have we ever been any good?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I’ve been watching the Albion since 84, season ticket holder for most of that. As far as I can remember we’ve always been utter gash at corners. Is my memory correct? Has there EVER been an Albion side that’s a consistent goal threat at corners?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have to go all the way back to when that German lad was taking them.
His name escapes me now, but I do remember be was an absolute bugger for a Cruyff Turn.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Recall reading some stats on corners in football. Can’t recall the source but successful conversion from corner kicks was very low. Ripe for fresh thinking.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Frank Worthington, he hit the bar twice in consecutive games.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
did Paul Watson take corners? Or did we have someone better at the time?

Anyway, in recent years bang it over to the back post for Duffy to 'knock it back into the mixer' ... sorted.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyway, in recent years bang it over to the back post for Duffy to 'knock it back into the mixer' ... sorted.

This.

You would think that positioning BDB just beyond the back post would have the same result but a) he doesn’t go there, and b) quite often we don’t beat the first man, making this strategy redundant.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Less than 2% of corners result in a goal being scored. Only in England do we get all excited about winning one. Rest of Europe sees them for what they are. The defending team has a numerical advantage, inc. a keeper, and is now organised, posed and ready via a well drilled set. And that’s before Solly doesn’t clear the first man...;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Corners under GP been worse than pathetic! And all setpieces in general very poor, last time we were good was Micky Adams 1st spell i reckon

We don't have a Watson and Zamora. Whipped ball in, BOSH. Everyone knew what was going to happen.

Mind you, that was the third division I suppose.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A couple of matches ago Mac whipped in a couple of fantastic corners, right under the bar at speed, unfortunately he hasn't had the chance recently.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Less than 2% of corners result in a goal being scored. Only in England do we get all excited about winning one. Rest of Europe sees them for what they are. The defending team has a numerical advantage, inc. a keeper, and is now organised, posed and ready via a well drilled set. And that’s before Solly doesn’t clear the first man...;)

Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if you are more likely to concede from a corner than to score from one, what with being vulnerable to a counter attack. Would be an interesting comparison for a statto to do!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here