Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Izzy is great on his day, but they are few and far between, even injuries aside, very much like AK . . .and typical of an out and out winger.

Gross on the other hand . . . . whom this thread is all about, apparently even on a quiet day delivers quality.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wonderful we are creating chances. Extremely worrying that we appear to be unable to take them.

I like Gross; he is a class act for sure. Not yet convinced that Potter's style suits him because of his lack of pace.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wonderful we are creating chances. Extremely worrying that we appear to be unable to take them.

I like Gross; he is a class act for sure. Not yet convinced that Potter's style suits him because of his lack of pace.

I think it does . . . as long as you have someone quick enough to get on the end of the balls he and Propper, amongst others, can expertly deliver . . . . how many times have we seen a break stop because whomever is in the middle with the ball has to wait for a 'striker'' with a zimmer to catch up . . .

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I actually think is is ideally suited to this system.

The only one drawback is a lack of pace, which is a problem when both him and Murray are in the same side.

I don't believe Gross needs to have outstanding pace, that's not his role, he creates space and makes the passes and chances.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I just knew someone was going to post those!

Two great goals admittedly, but let's face it he has done liitle else so far. I am going to need to see far more from him to change my mind. Consistency, as well as minutes on the pitch, are crucial.

The key with Izzy was the threat he posed. In a pedestrian CH team, his pace in behind worried teams and pushed them back, making it harder to press us so far up the pitch.

The reality is that we’re playing a more front foot style of football now and that requires less breaking at pace and more skill in tighter spots. I still think he’d be a valuable asset, particularly towards the end of games as long as his pace isn’t gone, but I don’t think he’d be as critical stylistically as he clearly was to CH.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I don't believe Gross needs to have outstanding pace, that's not his role, he creates space and makes the passes and chances.

Agree. The 'pace' argument is done to ****ing death. Bolt has pace but can't play. PG is a sublime footballer with very little outward pace, but he has a wonderful touch and sharp football brain. If he did have Mane or Salah's pace he'd be playing with them at Anfield..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree. The 'pace' argument is done to ****ing death. Bolt has pace but can't play. PG is a sublime footballer with very little outward pace, but he has a wonderful touch and sharp football brain. If he did have Mane or Salah's pace he'd be playing with them at Anfield..

Quite. When we are breaking pace is useful. But when he’s moving around and probing in the final third either with the ball, or looking for the ball, pace isn’t an issue. At the moment, Gross’ name should be first on the team sheet. I think he’s been superb.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
If Pascal Groß puts the crosses in we only need one winger.

I think that's very simplistic. A lot of the time Gross gets the space he needs to cross because he has Montoya overlapping outside him. The reason he can create so much joy from the half-space is that their full back can't come inside to close him down as he needs to mark Montoya when he overlaps. If Webster plays and doesn't overlap so much then it would reduce the amount of space afforded to Gross

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me when the Southampton player didn't fall for the Cruyff Turn:-

giphy.gif?cid=790b761169658e9528b508fefd02f881e6b960ea04c26d1c&rid=giphy.gif

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Really? Its hard to do owt when you spend the majority of a season injured being forced to play.

He has had plenty of opportunities to showcase his talents before these injuries kicked in. Sorry but he has to offer far more than just cutting inside on to his right foot, and blasting a shot at goal from ong range .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Then again maybe we are lucky to have him, if it wasn't for his lack of pace he wouldn't be in our team, but playing for a much better club.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I do wonder (as I'm sure most others do as well) if a player who relies on pace can come back after X (2 ?) operations with that same speed.
Stoke aside pretty much all of Jose's game is 'run with the ball, cut in, shoot over the bar, from the edge of the box' - where have we seen that before?
It certainly isn't the one touch, pass and move, run out of space at the by-line we're becoming accustom too.

On the flip side that Stoke goal very much was the kind of thing we’d hope to see under Potter. So we know he has it in him. All our attacking players struggled under CH so let’s see what he’s got when he gets fit.
It’s not really fair to suggest he can’t do it when a) he’s unfit, b) he was playing under a far less attack minded coach and c) he has actually shown EXACTLY the kind of thing Potter likes with that Stoke goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Very good article.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So Groß cross into the area that created the opening goal v Watford gets marked down as an 'incomplete pass?'

A tad harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here