Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gareth Thomas HIV

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can’t help thinking that this cheapens him being a maverick for coming out previously etc .

It’s controversial but I thought he was looking to change people’s opinions away from the image of gays carrying on having unsafe promiscuous sex .

Be interesting how he tackles this . Whether goes for the safe sex message or ignores that just goes for the HIV message

The safe sex message surely an opportunity for him to promote this majorly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How do you know how he got HIV?

No wonder he was reluctant to talk about it (until some b'stard tried to blackmail him).

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Can’t help thinking that this cheapens him being a maverick for coming out previously etc .

It’s controversial but I thought he was looking to change people’s opinions away from the image of gays carrying on having unsafe promiscuous sex .

Be interesting how he tackles this . Whether goes for the safe sex message or ignores that just goes for the HIV message

Are you on the wind up here?

How on earth does a gay man (famous or a regular Joe) coming out who has later contracted HIV make them less of a ‘maverick’.

Not only this but the fella has admitted to being previously suicidal. I think possibly his message is to highlight things like mental health as much as having contracted a horrible disease. If famous people like him suffer in silence and don’t use there position in society to help others then what’s the point??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just interesting what message he will promote as he said he wants to educate

Interesting

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Yoi don't have to be gay to get hiv

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good AIDS or bad AIDS?

He's white, male and from a western country - so that's a start. But he's gay, so it's ultimately going to have to be bandied as a case of having bad AIDS. The bigots codes, is the bigots code - it's how it works I'm afraid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just shows that some people in our society need to catch up and let go of their out dated views. Why should anyone who has AIDS (from sex) be treated any differently from others who have contracted a STD or a drug user who gets an illness from sharing a needle.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just shows that some people in our society need to catch up and let go of their out dated views. Why should anyone who has AIDS (from sex) be treated any differently from others who have contracted a STD or a drug user who gets an illness from sharing a needle.

Because it’s a massive problem in gay and bisexual communities

Point is , he can educate as has a platform

Safe sex surely has to be the message

Opportunity

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He has HIV. He hasn't got AIDS.

From what I can see he also has an undetectable load which means it cannot be passed on and, if he takes his meds, he should live a normal life.

A close friend of mine has an undetectable viral load and says they would rather be HIV than have diabetes. Such is the advancement.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton

From what I can see he also has an undetectable load which means it cannot be passed on and, if he takes his meds, he should live a normal life.

A close friend of mine has an undetectable viral load and says they would rather be HIV than have diabetes. Such is the advancement.

Exactly diabetes is more of a threat to human life than HIV is in this day and age. A person with HIV will only need one tablet a day to live a healthy normal life and there is also rumoured to be a cure for HIV but it would bankrupt the drug companies who provide the current medication to people with HIV. So hopefully this will soon be available and rid the earth of HIV.
I think there are many famous people carrying HIV but it doesn't matter anymore as its no different to a person who has a bunion on his toe. Our Brighton MP has HIV and he does a great job, Gareth coming out with the fact he has HIV is a positive and hopefully help people to understand that there is no need to fear or discriminate against HIV.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Perhaps the problem is with you

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As regards the 'coming out' thing. Thomas sexuality was an open secret. Him having HIV may have been known too.

Sometimes 'coming out' is a way of stealing the thunder of those who may wish to stir. Tom Daley did that very well. It's not like the days of secrecy when it could ruin your career.

There were days when the media gave the choice of working with them or them working against you. Society has moved on. Although I rather fear we may head back in the opposite direction in coming years. But that's another discussion.

As regards Gareth Thomas, I find him a little irritating because he is a bit of a maverick and seemingly feels he has to play to a stereo-type sometimes. The sort of thing that would have been expected 20 years ago when things were turning as some perverse condition of acceptance..

However, he really should be respected for what he has done here as there is still a lot of falsehoods going around about HIV. So if this means that some of those are now going to be removed then all is good. Progress.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Doesn't sound like the OP has advanced at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here