Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Such a low key build up to this in the media, I know we’ve had the 50 over World Cup, but surely THIS is the big one?

Anyway I’m excited. Please bat properly England.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Worried here to be honest. Strange England have been so candid with the press. Denly announcing Root would be batting at 3 just strikes me as odd. Just walk out at 3, why give the opposition more information than you need to?

Leaving Archer out is also a big decision. He reminds me of KP in 2005 who hadn't played a test but impressed in ODIs. Need that spark of the unknown sometimes.

Stokes gets a place as a batsmen even if he wasn't bowling, so you could drop Denly, move everyone up the order and have a 4 man pace attack with Stokes as a 5th seamer. Think this team demonstrates how worried we are about our top order. Roy - Burns - Root - Bairstow - Stokes - Buttler - Moeen - Woakes - Archer - Broad - Jimmy would have been my XI.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Worried here to be honest. Strange England have been so candid with the press. Denly announcing Root would be batting at 3 just strikes me as odd. Just walk out at 3, why give the opposition more information than you need to?

Leaving Archer out is also a big decision. He reminds me of KP in 2005 who hadn't played a test but impressed in ODIs. Need that spark of the unknown sometimes.

Stokes gets a place as a batsmen even if he wasn't bowling, so you could drop Denly, move everyone up the order and have a 4 man pace attack with Stokes as a 5th seamer. Think this team demonstrates how worried we are about our top order. Roy - Burns - Root - Bairstow - Stokes - Buttler - Moeen - Woakes - Archer - Broad - Jimmy would have been my XI.

That just seems like a very, very long lower middle order though.

Not that there is anyone else to pick as a proper batsman. Honestly I'd have gone for someone similar to Luke Wells. That might sound rediculous but just choose someone with a decent technique who knows how to bat properly in first class cricket. He doesn't have to be a world beater, just make sure he has the right head on him and sound technique. The recalling of Mike Brearley would be a similar decision.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't wait. Taken the day off today. Couldn't keep up the pretence of "WFH" when everyone in the office would know full well I'd be glued to the cricket :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not that there is anyone else to pick as a proper batsman. Honestly I'd have gone for someone similar to Luke Wells. That might sound rediculous but just choose someone with a decent technique who knows how to bat properly in first class cricket. He doesn't have to be a world beater, just make sure he has the right head on him and sound technique. The recalling of Mike Brearley would be a similar decision.

The Essex opener Nick Browne, who averages over 40 in FC cricket.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Going to miss the first half an hour.........................then the last 3 or 4 hours of every days play :annoyed:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Wells wouldn't score against the Dog and Duck Seconds right now - he's horribly out of form,

Sam Northeast has been knocking on England's door for some time and is having a good season. Personally, I've always been staggered that James Hildreth has never played internationally; he scores runs every year. I know he bats on the Taunton road but he looks class - he's probably too old now

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's smash these twats.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Thing is Burns averages big in county cricket, but looks absolute pony in test match cricket. So many players who score hundreds upon hundreds come into the England top order and fail.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
10.14am A close-up on the pitch ... not quite so much grass as there had been four days ago. down from 8mm to 6mm... some tufty bits here and there.

It's straw-coloured, and it ought to provide a fair contest between bat and those lovely bespoke cherry-red Dukes balls.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Wells wouldn't score against the Dog and Duck Seconds right now - he's horribly out of form,

Sam Northeast has been knocking on England's door for some time and is having a good season. Personally, I've always been staggered that James Hildreth has never played internationally; he scores runs every year. I know he bats on the Taunton road but he looks class - he's probably too old now

I did say 'similar to Wells' :thumbsup:(I grew up playing with Wells so I'd love to see him push on, the last few years have been difficult for him)

James Hildreth is exactly the type of person I mean. He scores runs all around the country on the CC circuit and knows how to build a proper innings. His technique also seems sound in English conditions. Burns doesn't have the technique and Denly doesn't have the runs/grit/determination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here