Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sprinting the last few hundred yards = guaranteed cramp [emoji23][emoji23]

(Speaking from personal experience......London Marathon, turn into the finishing straight on the Mall, see the cameras on the gantry, aim for the middle of the road and speed up for the brilliant photo finish..........aaaarrrggggh bollocks, hamstring locks up with 100 yards left in full view of 000’s of people. ****)

Perhaps knocky and I should recreate the spirit of the original London Marathon and cross the line together holding hands? :lol:

....yeah, probably not....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Perhaps knocky and I should recreate the spirit of the original London Marathon and cross the line together holding hands? :lol:

....yeah, probably not....

I do remember showing you my groin chaffing near Duke's Mound a couple of years ago..........

On a training note I'm still lurgied but hoping for a slow 2 hour run at 7 on Saturday before running Hove Prom. I'll be joining the gilets jaunes on Sunday.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
If you can sprint the end of a marathon it means you haven't tried hard enough in the rest of the race :smile:

It was more like a slightly faster shuffle by the time I got to the end of Brighton Marathon last year!! It felt like sprinting!

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I do remember showing you my groin chaffing near Duke's Mound a couple of years ago..........

On a training note I'm still lurgied but hoping for a slow 2 hour run at 7 on Saturday before running Hove Prom. I'll be joining the gilets jaunes on Sunday.

Get well soon mate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I did an unwise thing yesterday - a gym based triathlon. 36.5km cycle (1:08:29), 5km row (22:23) and 10km run (45:18). It was really tough getting through the run element on the treadmill, I always find it tough to run on a treadmill because it doesn't suit my knees at all. But I was jelly at the end. The cycle was fine, I was absolutely flying and could have done it in under an hour for sure. The row became an issue after about 3.5km, the muscles at the back of my knees started to cramp up but I was able to push on through and then the run felt fine.

My 7 mile recovery run today, mostly drawing patterns around Preston Park, was comfortable but I've been stiff in the legs all afternoon.

wednesday run.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did an unwise thing yesterday - a gym based triathlon. 36.5km cycle (1:08:29), 5km row (22:23) and 10km run (45:18). It was really tough getting through the run element on the treadmill, I always find it tough to run on a treadmill because it doesn't suit my knees at all. But I was jelly at the end. The cycle was fine, I was absolutely flying and could have done it in under an hour for sure. The row became an issue after about 3.5km, the muscles at the back of my knees started to cramp up but I was able to push on through and then the run felt fine.

My 7 mile recovery run today, mostly drawing patterns around Preston Park, was comfortable but I've been stiff in the legs all afternoon.

View attachment 104800

Ha ha another extreme session as the Ninj continues his return to strength.
If you’re racing the Brighton Half on Sunday, more very foolish than very unwise. Good training session though and will have long term benefits.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 104800

Bloody good work, but.....why ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Had a coffee with your running boss today....always full of brilliant info [emoji106][emoji106]

She's great, the sessions I've had to get through have been hard work but I reckon I'm at the same stage exactly as I was three years ago - not bad considering those three years mainly consisted of sporadic long term injuries.

It's sometime good to look back to see how things have progressed. Last year I did Brighton Half in 1.58 on six weeks training just to get round. It feels like a full year's worth of work will be going in to Sunday but it's definitely accelarated over the last couple of months of following a strucutured, coached plan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
She's great, the sessions I've had to get through have been hard work but I reckon I'm at the same stage exactly as I was three years ago - not bad considering those three years mainly consisted of sporadic long term injuries.

It's sometime good to look back to see how things have progressed. Last year I did Brighton Half in 1.58 on six weeks training just to get round. It feels like a full year's worth of work will be going in to Sunday but it's definitely accelarated over the last couple of months of following a strucutured, coached plan.

Looking at your Strava stuff you'll be disappointed if you don't beat that on Sunday. Love talking to her - she's so properly interested in the science behind it all........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking at your Strava stuff you'll be disappointed if you don't beat that on Sunday. Love talking to her - she's so properly interested in the science behind it all........

The machine (Jan's Frankenstein) is actually chasing down a 1:46 odd PB, aiming sub 1:45 and hoping to get over the line in front of an ever improving [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Excellent stuff. I'll look forward to watching the race unfold once I've finished trying to keep up with the U-17s mini run as sweeper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The machine (Jan's Frankenstein) is actually chasing down a 1:46 odd PB, aiming sub 1:45 and hoping to get over the line in front of an ever improving [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Excellent stuff. I'll look forward to watching the race unfold once I've finished trying to keep up with the U-17s mini run as sweeper.

Excellent. Nice SLOW 13 miles for me.......after the same on Saturday........

'Jan's Frankenstein' :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
(Jan's Frankenstein)

'Jan's Frankenstein' :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:lolol:

Let's hope that doesn't stick :rolleyes:

I know Dazzer has gone on about coaching on here before. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone and there are those of us who just want to do our own thing (like insane brick sessions in a gym) but having someone who can say "if you do this, you will get better" is invaluable to a duffer like me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol:

Let's hope that doesn't stick :rolleyes:

I know Dazzer has gone on about coaching on here before. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone and there are those of us who just want to do our own thing (like insane brick sessions in a gym) but having someone who can say "if you do this, you will get better" is invaluable to a duffer like me.

It might now I've told her :laugh::laugh:

It's not just the actual running that a coach has been invaluable for me (though the difference a tailored, structured plan makes is enormous) - very much hydration, nutrition, bit of psychology, race targets - the lot. More valuable to me than the cost of gym membership.............

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, I feel like this wasn't my best idea but a friend of mine (Northerner!) is doing a sponsored gym tri for Red Nose Day, so I set a series of times for him to beat. He gets to train specifically for it, I just did it one day. We'll see how he gets on, I feel like the row is the only thing which I'm vulnerable on.

I'll probably either gently stroll a parkrun on saturday, or leave it altogether and have a go at the Half. I'm not intending to race it, it's another preparation run for me at this stage.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It might now I've told her :laugh::laugh:

It's not just the actual running that a coach has been invaluable for me (though the difference a tailored, structured plan makes is enormous) - very much hydration, nutrition, bit of psychology, race targets - the lot. More valuable to me than the cost of gym membership.............

A lot of my friends swear by having a coach for marathon training. I think I'm too stubborn (and tight) for that. I just found a well-regarded training plan online and modified it to fit in with my schedule. I also did a little bit of research (10 minutes of googling) to find some good gym exercises to help with strength and conditioning.

My friend couldn't believe I didn't have a race plan either. Apparently "I'll just see how fast I can run and try and keep it up" isn't a proper plan.

I guess it's a personality trait. I just like to do my own thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A lot of my friends swear by having a coach for marathon training. I think I'm too stubborn (and tight) for that. I just found a well-regarded training plan online and modified it to fit in with my schedule. I also did a little bit of research (10 minutes of googling) to find some good gym exercises to help with strength and conditioning.

My friend couldn't believe I didn't have a race plan either. Apparently "I'll just see how fast I can run and try and keep it up" isn't a proper plan.

I guess it's a personality trait. I just like to do my own thing.

Yeah.....we’re all different, have a few pals like that. I’m inherently lazy, can’t be arsed to study things too much and don’t have the time, so having someone tell me what to do helps on all fronts. All I need to do is check the plans and work out how long I need to allow for the session and think of a suitable route. Good motivation too, knowing that someone is going to review your stats and give you a bollocking if you’re off plan [emoji23][emoji23]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah.....we’re all different, have a few pals like that. I’m inherently lazy, can’t be arsed to study things too much and don’t have the time, so having someone tell me what to do helps on all fronts. All I need to do is check the plans and work out how long I need to allow for the session and think of a suitable route. Good motivation too, knowing that someone is going to review your stats and give you a bollocking if you’re off plan [emoji23][emoji23]

I guess I had the same thing, except rather than a coach, it was Google Calendar telling me what runs I needed to make time for. I uploaded the whole plan when I started training.
Google never gave me shit for missing a run or cutting it short though :lolol:

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Hello folks, been away from the thread for a while!

Happily my hand has recovered from its break back in November, running shoes have been back on for a while now and I've been steadily increasing the miles. I'll be running the Brighton half on Sunday (will keep an eye open for friendly faces) and will probably pop down to Hove park (for a change) for some easy paced preparation tomorrow morning.

Best of luck to all taking part - enjoy!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here