Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] THE FA CUP 3rd Round Draw 7pm BBC1 03-12-18 [Away to Bournemouth]

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My heart says I want to win the cup, my head says this is a good opportunity to duck out of the competition quietly and keep the lads fresh for the league.

Perhaps next year.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
They will play fringe player like us, only plus, if demand is there, we will get stand behind goal

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
You must be young or new as Luton a ****ing dive, probably the worst away end I have been in. Shit place too.

Neither. Just a coincidence that have not been to Luton. However, I know the town well and you are correct. It is Grim.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps our first choice starters will get the opportunity to take a short planned winter break after 2 January, after a busy Christmas and New Year period where we have 4 matches in 11 days.

Our players on international duty will have had no time for a break (injuries and suspension apart) since the start of the season in August. Perhaps our first team would have a better chance of winning their following 2 league matches against Liverpool and Manchester United if they take a well earned break to recuperate and recover from niggling injuries.

The chances are one of the top 6 clubs will win the FA Cup anyway, so using the early cup round(s) to give squad players and promising U23 players the opportunity to play competitive game(s) will benefit us if we need to call upon them to play for the first team during the rest of the season.

Retaining a place in the Premier League is far more important than winning a 3rd round FA Cup match against Bournemouth away. That said, our U23 team is performing well, and our first team squad players will be motivated to prove themselves worthy of being first team starters. Maybe one or two of our squad players will be impressive enough in "the shop window" at the start of the January transfer window to induce other clubs to lay out good transfer fees for them, raising far more cash for the club than could be earned from a short cup run.

We might also beat Bournemouth too.

No doubt it is a bigger game for Bournemouth than for us. They're looking good at present, they've been up longer than us, and if they do pick up a good few points between now and the tie, can see them fielding a strong side in order to get through because they'll be pretty much safe.

We've also got the opportunity to rack up a few more points between now and then and feel bullish about fielding a strong team as well. Balogun, Montoya and sticking with Bernando or getting Bong back isn't really weakening us in a lot of ways. We may have Stephens, Kayal, Propper, Gross, Bissouma, Jahanbakhsh, March, Izqueirdo, Knockeart, Andone, Locadia, Murray all available, so we can still field a strong side of players that may not have been getting as many games as others.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No doubt it is a bigger game for Bournemouth than for us. They're looking good at present, they've been up longer than us, and if they do pick up a good few points between now and the tie, can see them fielding a strong side in order to get through because they'll be pretty much safe.

Please stop swallowing and regurgitating the Eddie Miracle bullshit.

Bournemouth are TWO POINTS above us in the PL table.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Neither. Just a coincidence that have not been to Luton. However, I know the town well and you are correct. It is Grim.

Grim? It makes Beirut look like paradise beach in Barbados.

I vowed never to go back to Luton after 3 visits of absolute mayhem and have never been back. I prefer going to millwall than that horrible place.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bournemouth are TWO POINTS above us in the PL table.

Ha ha it is no miracle, they have continued to invest in the side, and they look good this year, scored 23 goals which is only bettered inside the top 5.

Winning Premier League football matches is not easy though, and we can feel very pleased with our haul so far to be in the position where we could go above them tonight.

In a round about way, what I was saying is that it could be that both sides field stronger teams than people seem to be suggesting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I popped over to a Bournemouth forum to see their reaction. Had to laugh when I saw one of them write "Well, it'll be good to get an update on our wage bill."

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bournemouth got done 3-0 at Wigan in the Cup last year (Dan Burn scored), have never gone far in either the Cowabunga Cup or the FA cup since being in the PL and often put out the reserves. It's about the worst draw possible but it is winnable - and yes I do remember them beating us when everyone bought the tickets but no-one turned up - given they haven't taken it seriously since arry turned over Man U just after the war.

Last years Wigan report is here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42630628

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Got to be a good chance it's on TV, South Coast derby, no love lost between the two sets of fans and an almost certain full house. I think that 7 of the 32 games are televised and after Wolverhampton v Liverpool it's probably the pick of the draw. Expect Man Utd v Reading to be one of the other games which leaves 3 potential banana skins for EPL giants.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Got to be a good chance it's on TV. I think that 7 of the 32 games are televised and after Wolverhampton v Liverpool it's probably the pick of the draw. Expect Man Utd v Reading to be one of the other games which leaves 3 potential banana skins for EPL giants.

Pleasing effort. "pick of the draw", "banana skins" and "EPL giants" - it's got the lot.

The footballing world will be drooling at the thought of these two south coast "arch rivals" (second string teams) going full throttle at each other - a veritable treat for the "audience" of nearly 9,000 I'm sure. :clap2:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Being away or playing an EPL team would have been just about fine, but both is more worrying. This is a competition we could do well in with a little luck and if putting out a good side. Disappointed but decent chance and then go from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here