Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Probably as good a place to ask this as any.

Does anyone know a decent japanese restaurant in Brighton that has a teppanyaki table? Used to love going to Sapporo in Preston Street and sit there with the chef cooking everything in front of you on the huge teppanyaki table

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Probably as good a place to ask this as any.

Does anyone know a decent japanese restaurant in Brighton that has a teppanyaki table? Used to love going to Sapporo in Preston Street and sit there with the chef cooking everything in front of you on the huge teppanyaki table

I don't think there is one but Bincho Yakitori is the go to.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We’re looking to go to ASPIC, just need to secure this when bookings open. Danke.

Also, we’d like somewhere for steak, frites and wine. Is there a French version of Hawksmoor? Any recommendations on this will be gladly taken.

I hope you’ll enjoy it; we do every time we go.

Steak Frites? Umm, pretty much any brasserie, tbh. Not aware of any Hawksmoor equivalents. Have onglet, and have it either bleu or saignant... yum.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Spent yesterday lunch time, sitting outside Murmur in the sunshine looking out at the West Pier.

I have eaten at Murmur twice before, both times on special menus and on each occasion it was a wild and wet evening.

Yesterday I asked for a description of the guest beer - "like an ale, but cloudy with citrus" - it was a pilsner and wasn't overwhelmed by a starter of squid and kimchi, despite the fact I absolutely love squid.

That aside three other dishes were all excellent Tagliatelle with clams, Ox cheek and courgette feta and mint fritter and a good bottle of red for 20 quid.

Murmur works if you want to eat in a grown up restaurant and bring your kids with you (they do have a kids menu), but it doesn't seem to reach the high standards of 64 degrees. there again not many places do. It is also a lovely spot to spend a sunny day, as is the flour pot next door.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This was in Jay Rayner’s restaurant review today:

“Kenny Tutt, winner of last year’s amateur MasterChef, has left his job as a bank manager and is to open his first restaurant in his home town of Worthing. It will, he says, draw inspiration from “the local area and surrounding Sussex countryside”.”

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Patty&Bun - Brighton

Pre Benidorm meal.

So both had Smokey Robinson burgers and chips, hmmmmmm

Firstly plate please not just grease proof paper you unwrap and eat off with your chips, burgers not bad but very salty chips.

5/10 as really not that good in my view, 7Bone far better and for the really discerners 12.5% added as a service charge.........

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a restaurant but I think I'm addicted to those sausage rolls at the Coffee shop in Findon as recommended by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Patty&Bun - Brighton

Pre Benidorm meal.

Firstly plate please not just grease proof paper you unwrap and eat off with your chips, burgers not bad but very salty chips.

5/10 as really not that good in my view, 7Bone far better and for the really discerners 12.5% added as a service charge.........

12.5% in a burger bar? For how many people?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Patty&Bun - Brighton

Pre Benidorm meal.

12.5% in a burger bar? For how many people?

I got slightly confused by Beach Hut's review and had to go and google - They ACTUALLY sell Burgers wrapped in paper and expect you to pay a SERVICE CHARGE:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I got slightly confused by Beach Hut's review and had to go and google - They ACTUALLY sell Burgers wrapped in paper and expect you to pay a SERVICE CHARGE:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, no plate you unwrap the burger chuck the chips and sauce on it as well - pretty poor in my view.

Forgot to add the bacon was rock hard

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not a restaurant but I think I'm addicted to those sausage rolls at the Coffee shop in Findon as recommended by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

You're a lucky man!

As part of my health drive that means I'm also not drinking, I've not had one yet this year! I gaze at them longingly when I'm in there for a pot of Earl Grey.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're a lucky man!

As part of my health drive that means I'm also not drinking, I've not had one yet this year! I gaze at them longingly when I'm in there for a pot of Earl Grey.

I really do need to stop.... good coffee too. The owner was very helpful and offered to ground some beans I had accidentally ordered online as whole bean rather than pre-ground!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Tried the Honest Burger Duke Street at lunchtime. Good for a burger quite a few choices including a veggie option all served with rosemary chips. Burger served medium unless specified differently. £24 for two (no service charge) the place did not have a spare seat.
https://www.honestburgers.co.uk/menus/

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Went to Maze in London. One of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants. It was a disaster. Avoid it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to Maze in London. One of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants. It was a disaster. Avoid it.

Please expand on this, what was a disaster...........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just two of us, it is the usual discretionary but you kind of feel obliged

I never feel obliged to pay a service charge - to expect for people to pay it in a burger bar is quite frankly ridiculous.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Please expand on this, what was a disaster...........

Got there and they denied having a booking for us and kept denying it until we showed them an email from them. We had a pre agreed set menu. They told us that they couldn't cook it. We had some sushi (which was nice) some steak tartare (not my cup of tea but ok if you like that sort of thing). The seafood and steak courses which were the main meal never materialised. We ended up with deep fried breaded chicken in a bun that resembled a zinger burger as the main course. The pudding was a fruit sundae which was very average.They paid for our drinks. We paid a fair bit of money for it. Ultimately very disappointing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got there and they denied having a booking for us and kept denying it until we showed them an email from them. We had a pre agreed set menu. They told us that they couldn't cook it. We had some sushi (which was nice) some steak tartare (not my cup of tea but ok if you like that sort of thing). The seafood and steak courses which were the main meal never materialised. We ended up with deep fried breaded chicken in a bun that resembled a zinger burger as the main course. The pudding was a fruit sundae which was very average.They paid for our drinks. We paid a fair bit of money for it. Ultimately very disappointing.

I would write and complain that is shocking

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here