Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad evolution not revolution

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I reckon Potter and co will have a field day with some of our younger players at his disposal. Evolving the likes of Connolly, Gyokeres, Molumby, Ostigard, Sanders etc plus Mac Allister and the other loanees, maybe even Tau and Arce, will surely see him like a kid in a sweet shop.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I reckon Potter and co will have a field day with some of our younger players at his disposal. Evolving the likes of Connolly, Gyokeres, Molumby, Ostigard, Sanders etc plus Mac Allister and the other loanees, maybe even Tau and Arce, will surely see him like a kid in a sweet shop.

I hope you’re right but it’s a big jump. What the team really needs now is more Premier League quality players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Need to be really careful and get the introduction right.

You’ll win nothing with kids [emoji6]

No chance Arce... surely Ben White introduced as well.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I hope you’re right but it’s a big jump. What the team really needs now is more Premier League quality players.

Very much this
I do have my fears over this go with youth from a previous nightmare appointment of a manager who made his name with youth players in Norway. George Curtis was brought in to bring through youth players at the Albion and it was a complete disaster. I think I am correct in saying Curtis was the only Albion manager responsible for two consecutive relegations, so pardon me if I don't get carried away with this enthusiasm to quickly bring youth through

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sorry disagree. For all Hughton's faults he had to work with a pretty rubbish squad. Our current team isn't very good and the table doesn't lie. Not saying it needs massive changes but it needs some quality players. Dipping down into the Championship just means another season of struggle i'm afraid.
Apart from about 6-7 players the rest are a damp squid.

The top ten misquotes by British people are as follows:

1) A damp squid (a damp squib)

2) On tender hooks (on tenter hooks)

3) Nip it in the butt (nip it in the bud)

4) Champing at the bit (chomping at the bit)

5) A mute point (a moot point)

6) One foul swoop (one fell swoop)

7) All that glitters is not gold (all that glisters is not gold)

8) Adverse to (averse to)

9) Batting down the hatches (batten down the hatches)

10) Find a penny pick it up (find a pin pick it up)

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Evolution is slow and steady. Revolution is fast and brutal.

What he's saying, in plain speak, is "we're not going to spending a fortune.." ???

Or, we're not going to screw up the FFP rules and our long term sustainability to have one or two good seasons when the chances of finishing anywhere above 6th are so remote it's just not worth trying!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did.

But presumably it was on the list he was presented with.

How much in reality did any of us know about Big Jurg before he signed other than YouTube videos?

Does a manager even have time to go and watch a major target?

Just keep Winstanley away from lower standard leagues. German, Italian, French football seems to fit PL better IMO.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and where do you think the list came from?

The doubters seem to think all the work is done behind the managers back before he is presented with a binary decision, player 0 or 1.

If it gets to that stage what's the point of then even bothering to ask the manager?

Ali J was 'courted' by the club for 2 (possibly 3) seasons.
Pictured on the pitch, shown Lancing, spent weekends in the city, watching matches.

You're all suggesting his signing came as a surprise to CH.
So much so in fact he assumed Ali was the new left back.

Yes this is now a massive business.
Of course one man, no matter how hard Barber-Out tries, can oversee the whole operation.
Which is why there's a recruitment team, but that team don't work in isolation with the board (paying for them) or the manager (working with their 'finds').

A fair few posters want Winstano out because of HIS signings.
Shopping in inferior leagues.
Buying #NotEvenAFootballer.

Why would Winstano put his job on the line only recommending players that won't get selected?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The top ten misquotes by British people are as follows:

1) A damp squid (a damp squib)

2) On tender hooks (on tenter hooks)

3) Nip it in the butt (nip it in the bud)

4) Champing at the bit (chomping at the bit)

5) A mute point (a moot point)

6) One foul swoop (one fell swoop)

7) All that glitters is not gold (all that glisters is not gold)

8) Adverse to (averse to)

9) Batting down the hatches (batten down the hatches)

10) Find a penny pick it up (find a pin pick it up)

I think number 4 is the wrong way round. 'Champing' and 'chomping' in effect mean the same thing, but although the former is largely obsolete outside this particular idiom, both the Oxford English Dictionary and the Guardian style guide regard it as the more acceptable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You have not answered the question why would any manager run a squad 2 short?
No idea.

My speculation would be that Suttner's loan out was a try-before-they-buy and Schelotto was perhaps in a bit of conflict with the club.

My further speculation is that although U21, Gyokeres was counted as a squad member, and that the U23s were deemed good enough in general to not need 25 - basically the rational was why spend further ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think number 4 is the wrong way round. 'Champing' and 'chomping' in effect mean the same thing, but although the former is largely obsolete outside this particular idiom, both the Oxford English Dictionary and the Guardian style guide regard it as the more acceptable.

I’m glad to said that as I thought the same!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No idea.

My speculation would be that Suttner's loan out was a try-before-they-buy and Schelotto was perhaps in a bit of conflict with the club.

My further speculation is that although U21, Gyokeres was counted as a squad member, and that the U23s were deemed good enough in general to not need 25 - basically the rational was why spend further ?

But we did spend a reported £13 million in the January window, only to lend them ( 3 players ) back to their clubs, so I still can't get my head round why we as a club were prepared to handicap our own manager by not giving him the total amount of players allowed. If Hughton agreed to those signings instead of spending that money to strengthen the squad he deserved sacking

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But we did spend a reported £13 million in the January window, only to lend them ( 3 players ) back to their clubs, so I still can't get my head round why we as a club were prepared to handicap our own manager by not giving him the total amount of players allowed

Because we were 10th and the manager said he didn't want any more players for the first team squad.

I have no idea why this is so difficult.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
and where do you think the list came from?

The doubters seem to think all the work is done behind the managers back before he is presented with a binary decision, player 0 or 1.

If it gets to that stage what's the point of then even bothering to ask the manager?

Ali J was 'courted' by the club for 2 (possibly 3) seasons.
Pictured on the pitch, shown Lancing, spent weekends in the city, watching matches.

You're all suggesting his signing came as a surprise to CH.
So much so in fact he assumed Ali was the new left back.

Yes this is now a massive business.
Of course one man, no matter how hard Barber-Out tries, can oversee the whole operation.
Which is why there's a recruitment team, but that team don't work in isolation with the board (paying for them) or the manager (working with their 'finds').

A fair few posters want Winstano out because of HIS signings.
Shopping in inferior leagues.
Buying #NotEvenAFootballer.

Why would Winstano put his job on the line only recommending players that won't get selected?

And it probably is. Potter says what we need and is given options.

But I want Winstanley out, because he provides the options to the managers list of requirements, and whilst it can’t be denied we have picked up some gems. (Gross/Bernardo from Germany) It appears the more we spend the worse the quality.

You seriously cannot tell me that Dutch football is a better market than Germany or Italy. Wasn’t it yourself or [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] who came out with an alternative list, some of whom were signed by other clubs and went on to produce.

Perhaps that is why Ashworth is here as well (‘other than to keep the manager in a job’ [emoji57]).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here