Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] who are your Albion cult heroes?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
That is he. One of my pals Dad's used to live opposite him. If I recall correctly he would sit in front of his house on a folding chair in hot weather. Proper throwback. Would be surprised if he is still alive given his size and lifestyle. Hope I'm wrong though.

That's it I lived briefly in the street and sometimes would have a chat to him outside where he'd sit. That would be 2006. His Mrs was a big Albion fan too. I hope he's still around but he'd be in late 60s now.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That is he. One of my pals Dad's used to live opposite him. If I recall correctly he would sit in front of his house on a folding chair in hot weather. Proper throwback. Would be surprised if he is still alive given his size and lifestyle. Hope I'm wrong though.

Broke his back years ago in a car crash going to an Albion away game. I am not sure if he is still around but respect to an Albion fan whose passion for the club impacted severely on his life.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Perry Digweed..used to get on the bus with us!
OGH. Found myself sitting next to him in the stands at Brentford when he was injured. Top bloke.
Guy Butters. Helped me wind up my girlfriend on the phone.
Tiny Cox...for the song
Jake Robinson...NICE HAIR
Darren Freeman.
Virgs. Used to drink in the Hollingbury when he was at Celtic...told us some great tales.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As a child of the Withdean era;

Guy Butters

Rocket Man

Adam Virgo

Gary Hart

That fat geezer who used to hang around next to the gates at Withdean to get players autographs, stank of piss, covered in Albion pin bages. I always knew him as The Honey Monster.

Pissy Mick

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The lady who used to work in the Queen st ticket office, never let me down. Had Spurs & Cardiff PO tickets before they went on sale. Can’t remember her name unfortunately a true ticket office hero.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Brian Powney, Peter Grummitt, Tony Towner, Ken Beamish, John Templeman (the goal that promoted us in 1972), Willie Irvine, Kit and John Napier, Brian Bromley.

No one can accuse me of being stuck in an era!:thumbsup:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Working on the principle that the cult hero has enthusiasm/recklessness/length of service inversely proportional to football ability, I give you - Phil Stant. Especially in substitute role charging about like a headless chicken with the staring eyes!
Non-player is Keith Cuss. Then Ron Pavey in semi-caricature form.
Far too good a player to really be here, but Dunk tackling with his head whilst laying flat on the ground has to appear high in some category list for single cult action.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Gary Hart
Dave Clarkson (Goldstone era blond haired Aussie)
Peter Smith
and possibly the greatest of all Hans Kraay

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry Wilson, but mostly for personal reasons.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Loads.

Brooker, Freeman, Watson, Bobby, Cullip. Basically nearly all of Micky Adams Blue Army mk1. So much optimism, so many bargains.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As a child of the Withdean era;

Guy Butters

Rocket Man

Adam Virgo

Gary Hart

That fat geezer who used to hang around next to the gates at Withdean to get players autographs, stank of piss, covered in Albion pin bages. I always knew him as The Honey Monster.

"Mr Smelly" courtesy of [MENTION=3761]El Turi[/MENTION]

I reckon Doug Loft counts. I have a Cult Zeros shirt adorned in his honour.
Surely Colin Hawkins must qualify.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That's the fella thank you. I had to Google for his exploits....

In ‘A Light in the North – Seven Years With Aberdeen’, Alex Ferguson wrote a fine summary of what a ‘supersub’ was, when he described bringing on eventual match winner John Hewitt against Bayern Munich on a famous night in 1982/83:

‘John is a tremendous substitute and although he lacks the consistency for a full game, he can come on and change a match and often score. Some players are not good substitutes. They are not used to it mainly because they take a long time to get warmed up and cannot get into the swing of a game, but John is excellent is this role.’

Go back five years, and into the English Second Division, and that description would have been apt for Eric Potts. The winger and midfielder played for Brighton & Hove Albion for just that one season, in 1977/78, and yet he claims a place in club folklore for his goalscoring exploits as substitute.

Joining Brighton from the Owls in a £14,000 deal, the red-headed signing made his Albion debut as the number seven in the club’s opening fixture, at Cambridge in the League Cup. In the next round’s replay at Oldham, he notched up his first goal for the Seagulls. The 5ft 5in winger held onto his starting place until he lost out to Tony Towner for the visit to Tottenham in November. From this point onwards, Potts only started five more matches for Brighton, such was the form of Towner, and it was in the number twelve shirt that Potts made his most memorable impact.

He scored Brighton’s second against Scarborough in the 3-0 win in the FA Cup 3rd Round in January 1978. Then, sensationally, he hit two goals in the last two minutes against Sunderland the following month, as Albion overturned a 1-0 deficit, after future Brighton loanee Jeff Clarke had given the Rokerites the lead. I know that match was televised by Southern TV but, sadly, I haven’t yet been able to track down the video footage. All I can offer is this image of the flame-haired one celebrating his winner:

Returned by Alan Mullery to the starting line-up, Potts opened the scoring against Stoke in a 2-1 win at the Goldstone in March. Then, combining well with John Ruggiero, Potts hit the late, solitary goal at Blackburn that these produced delirious scenes amongst the visiting players:

And how did his manager reward his match winner for the next match? Yes, by dropping him to the bench for the Tottenham game, for the second time that season. Nevertheless, unperturbed, when he came on, ‘Supersub’ scored in the second half to clinch a famous 3-1 win. And that concluded Potts’ goalscoring at Brighton. Five League goals, four of which were as substitute.

Here he is, in action in his Albion swan song, against Blackpool on the final day of the season:

Once the season ended, he joined Preston for £37,000 in August 1978 before closing his Football League career with Burnley from 1980 and Bury for two seasons from 1982.

didn't he come on in the last few minutes against Sunderland when losing 1-0 then bagged a brace for a 2-1 victory?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here