Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
because its just ridiculous .

He would go to a club realistically chasing trophies. He stayed with Newcastle out of loyalty and the fact they are a huge club. We can't compete with those who would be trying to lure him back into management whatever people think through their rose tinted glassses

This this this and this all day long.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Actually its the other way round. Here in the East Coast time zone its 11.42am which 5 hours behind the UK which is currently 4.42pm. On the West coast its 8.42 am which is 8 hours behind the UK.

You have not been charged for this information. :)

Dont know me left from me right either .... I blame old age & lack of sleep & I am sticking to that excuse

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Fixed that for you.

As far as the table is concerned, and the payments that arise from the table, yes, this is right.

As far as job security for the manager ... this often is *not* correct, and clearly isn't in the case of Hughton. He was judged on the basis of the 23 games played since December 5th being exceptionally poor in terms of results.

To be fair to Hughton - we had some really good performances in those 23 games. The problem was they were all either in the Cup, or against top-of-table opponents who nevertheless still took points off us despite the quality of our performance. The flip side of that is we had some absolutely rubbish performances against fellow-relegation prospects in those 23 games as well.

A lot of similarity there with Wolves season, except Wolves actually managed to take points off the top 6 when they were "on it" whereas we didn't in the main.

ta!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was a tongue in cheek comment and thought most would understand that. I wouldnt expect and in fact wouldnt want Jose to come to us. But surely with the second half of the seasons performances we have had chance to have a good look around. A more or less unknown untested guy from the championship and lower Swedish league isnt what I would have expected to be number one to replaced the excellent manager and man that Chris is. Mr Potter must be good.

Raffa though, his contract ends soon so why couldnt we have a go at attracting the likes of him? We are are third season Premier League club with a good fanbase, fantastic stadium and owner, state of the art training facilities why shouldnt we aim higher?

Maybe Mr Potter will be tomorrow's equivalent of Rafa, or Pep, or Jurgen...….. with us! You never know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
because its just ridiculous .

He would go to a club realistically chasing trophies. He stayed with Newcastle out of loyalty and the fact they are a huge club. We can't compete with those who would be trying to lure him back into management whatever people think through their rose tinted glassses

Loyalty ? More likely his £4m+ a year salary....................can't see we would come anywhere close to matching that even if he was interested

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I tell you what...in terms of Premier League consolidation, if that's the realistic priority, and the need to make a proven and "safe" appointment who can build on the work done by CH and leaving aside the defensive football, dodgy dealings etc., Shirley, and I hate myself for saying this, 2 years of Fat Sam would achieve those goals with considerably less risk than almost any other appointment. Just saying'.

Would not be the first time Dan Ashworth has appointed him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lots and lots of Albion/Hughton/Potter chat at the start of this weeks Football Weekly Podcast.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
An update - in short - he's been talking to Swans today to see what they can offer him.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...swansea-city-brighton-potter-hughton-16287414

"Swansea City remain in talks with Graham Potter amid Brighton’s interest in making the Englishman their new manager.
The Seagulls made Potter their No. 1 target after making the bold call to sack Chris Hughton on Monday morning.
They have already had an approach to speak with Potter turned down by Swansea , although Brighton are expected to up their efforts to take the 43-year-old to the Amex Stadium. It is believed there has been no official follow-up approach from the Seagulls.
Swansea held lengthy talks with Potter on Wednesday, and it’s understood that discussions between the club and their manager remain ongoing.
It is understood that Potter - who during the course of the 2018/19 campaign has repeatedly stated that he views the job in SA1 as a long-term project - is seeking assurances over what the future holds at the club.
He has endured two difficult transfer windows at the Liberty Stadium to date, with no fewer than 19 players departing while only six have been recruited."

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Was a tongue in cheek comment and thought most would understand that. I wouldnt expect and in fact wouldnt want Jose to come to us. But surely with the second half of the seasons performances we have had chance to have a good look around. A more or less unknown untested guy from the championship and lower Swedish league isnt what I would have expected to be number one to replaced the excellent manager and man that Chris is. Mr Potter must be good.

Raffa though, his contract ends soon so why couldnt we have a go at attracting the likes of him? We are are third season Premier League club with a good fanbase, fantastic stadium and owner, state of the art training facilities why shouldnt we aim higher?

we may have to if harry potter goes wrong; but, RB will liase with MA first

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
An update - in short - he's been talking to Swans today to see what they can offer him.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...swansea-city-brighton-potter-hughton-16287414

"Swansea City remain in talks with Graham Potter amid Brighton’s interest in making the Englishman their new manager.
The Seagulls made Potter their No. 1 target after making the bold call to sack Chris Hughton on Monday morning.
They have already had an approach to speak with Potter turned down by Swansea , although Brighton are expected to up their efforts to take the 43-year-old to the Amex Stadium. It is believed there has been no official follow-up approach from the Seagulls.
Swansea held lengthy talks with Potter on Wednesday, and it’s understood that discussions between the club and their manager remain ongoing.
It is understood that Potter - who during the course of the 2018/19 campaign has repeatedly stated that he views the job in SA1 as a long-term project - is seeking assurances over what the future holds at the club.
He has endured two difficult transfer windows at the Liberty Stadium to date, with no fewer than 19 players departing while only six have been recruited."

Question is does he believe what he is being told or is it another 'Ashley-Rafa' scenario of lies & deceit & will Potter decide if the risk of staying is greater than leaving. As others have said he has not said publicly he wants to stay despite it being the fourth day now since the link with Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Not sure I want any manager who doesn’t jump at the chance of joining the Albion. This is starting to sound a little like that Bournemouth player who used us as a bargaining chip to get more money. Let him stay at Swansea if it’s a case of getting assurances that they won’t sell players or he’ll leave.

Leave him to his project

If Phil Neville is our second choice I may have reconsider what I just wrote though :smile:

I can see myself moving to “bring CH back” soon

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fixed that for you.

As far as the table is concerned, and the payments that arise from the table, yes, this is right.

As far as job security for the manager ... this often is *not* correct, and clearly isn't in the case of Hughton. He was judged on the basis of the 23 games played since December 5th being exceptionally poor in terms of results.

To be fair to Hughton - we had some really good performances in those 23 games. The problem was they were all either in the Cup, or against top-of-table opponents who nevertheless still took points off us despite the quality of our performance. The flip side of that is we had some absolutely rubbish performances against fellow-relegation prospects in those 23 games as well.

A lot of similarity there with Wolves season, except Wolves actually managed to take points off the top 6 when they were "on it" whereas we didn't in the main.

Since Dec 5th, we've played 29 matches and I'm struggling to think of any that were 'good' performances. Some we got the right result but not sure that equates to a good performance and I believe it is the manner in which we have played that Bloom took into account.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Not sure I want any manager who doesn’t jump at the chance of joining the Albion. This is starting to sound a little like that Bournemouth player who used us as a bargaining chip to get more money. Let him stay at Swansea if it’s a case of getting assurances that they won’t sell players or he’ll leave.

Leave him to his project

If Phil Neville is our second choice I may have reconsider what I just wrote though :smile:

I can see myself moving to “bring CH back” soon

But in fairness, he is not in a position to. He's under contract with Swansea, who haven't as yet approved our approach. He can't jump at an offer that isn't officially on the table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But in fairness, he is not in a position to. He's under contract with Swansea, who haven't as yet approved our approach. He can't jump at an offer that isn't officially on the table.

Fair points, if it’s Swansea trying to keep him rather than him holding a gun to their heads about the future

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here