Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. Moreover, I think people have made far too much of the 'no Premier League managerial experience' issue. All world class managers have to start somewhere.

It's not even as if Potter doesn't have any managerial experience under his belt. I would much rather have a young up-and-coming manager who has already cut his teeth by developing a club from the bottom up in Sweden, and learnt how to contend with all manner of scenarios. Equally, we have a tendency to forget just how tough the Championship can be; to guide a team that has been asset stripped of its best players to 10th in the league is an amazing achievement - specially when relying on youth players to see you through.

The appointment of Potter would be far more preferable to some of the other names circulating. Lampard might be a glamorous name with a huge contact book, but he had inherited a Derby side with good players and he received significant backing from his Board, yet still managed to only sneak into the final play-off position. Equally, Neville has much more limited experience than Potter, albeit in a more high-profile position in England's women team. Evidence suggests that he's doing a good job there, but he has absolutely no experience of club management on a day-to-day basis.
Equally, Arteta has a reputation as an excellent coach, but so did Clement. While these names might be more instantly recognisable than Potter's, their managerial CVs don't even come close.

I think that much of the negativity surrounding NSC's discussion of Potter stems from the fact that we might not have been familiar with him or or his style of play, especially when compared with many of the other names in the frame. As such, many of us are underwhelmed by the suggestion. However, the Board are much better informed than the average NSC contributor and I have a degree of faith in their decision-making. I for one will withhold judgement until I see what Potter can actually bring to the Albion, if he is appointed.

If we make a comparison from along the coast, Ralph Hasenhüttl got Ingolstadt into the Bundesliga, then got Leipzig to runners up, as well as previous experience at other clubs to back that up.

That is perhaps the type of experience I'd be looking for to be honest. Maybe not to that degree, but I think it is an incredible risk to take on a young manager such little experience.

Javi Gracia, Nuno Espírito Santo, also with good experience, or clubs that have stuck with their managers they were promoted with, I'm not seeing a lot of teams taking a punt on inexperience and surviving that often.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
admittedly less than Lampard and Arteta, and others like Mark Hughes, Tony Adams, Paul Scholes, Sol Campbell etc and exactly as much Wenger had.

not sure what we can learn from that.

Thanks...it wasn’t a dig at you...but it just maybe balances up the lack of managerial experience of say Lampard (not that i’m championing him)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Whats the hold up then ???
Yes he's lying. Nowhere near done. Albion relying on the word of agents again. Cursory research would have shown them that potter is very reticent to move his family again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If he's genuinely our first choice why wouldn't we pay the release clause? We seem happy to spend millions on player's that go into the U-23's or can't get work permits or even set foot in the country so why not pay 3million for the guy that's going to captain the whole ship?

If he' not first choice lets have some more rumours thrown in the ring. I love a good transfer thread, let's have some good new manager threads!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes he's lying. Nowhere near done. Albion relying on the word of agents again. Cursory research would have shown them that potter is very reticent to move his family again.

If it doesn't happen this will be why.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Correct - he had trouble with his login this morning, but I've got it sorted for him now.

Good. There’s loads more incisive comment and ill informed bullshit for him to take into account since yesterday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Bad idea to choose being a football manager as your career then.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If it doesn't happen this will be why.

Maybe he is just one of a list of three candidates. Maybe he was the first one approached but he may not be our no 1 target. Maybe we need to interview each possibility and then decide who is the best person for the job.Maybe?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I believe form since January 1st would have us in 19th spot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only count it across the WHOLE season. There was a time that Man Utd fans would tell you about the table while Ole had been in charge, as if that made them top 3, or that it meant Ole was the next coming of Sir Alex Ferguson.

We're all judged across the whole season. Cherry picking teh elements of the season that suits a particular narrative is fairly meaningless.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

He dragged his family to the middle of Sweden to get his first managerial job, I imagine they aren't that attached to Swansea.

Sounds like a bargaining tool to me, a large pay rise will soon overcome those worries.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only count it across the WHOLE season. There was a time that Man Utd fans would tell you about the table while Ole had been in charge, as if that made them top 3, or that it meant Ole was the next coming of Sir Alex Ferguson.

We're all judged across the whole season. Cherry picking teh elements of the season that suits a particular narrative is fairly meaningless.

Obviously not as he got the sack.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
This. Moreover, I think people have made far too much of the 'no Premier League managerial experience' issue. All world class managers have to start somewhere.

It's not even as if Potter doesn't have any managerial experience under his belt. I would much rather have a young up-and-coming manager who has already cut his teeth by developing a club from the bottom up in Sweden, and learnt how to contend with all manner of scenarios. Equally, we have a tendency to forget just how tough the Championship can be; to guide a team that has been asset stripped of its best players to 10th in the league is an amazing achievement - specially when relying on youth players to see you through.

The appointment of Potter would be far more preferable to some of the other names circulating. Lampard might be a glamorous name with a huge contact book, but he had inherited a Derby side with good players and he received significant backing from his Board, yet still managed to only sneak into the final play-off position. Equally, Neville has much more limited experience than Potter, albeit in a more high-profile position in England's women team. Evidence suggests that he's doing a good job there, but he has absolutely no experience of club management on a day-to-day basis.
Equally, Arteta has a reputation as an excellent coach, but so did Clement. While these names might be more instantly recognisable than Potter's, their managerial CVs don't even come close.

I think that much of the negativity surrounding NSC's discussion of Potter stems from the fact that we might not have been familiar with him or or his style of play, especially when compared with many of the other names in the frame. As such, many of us are underwhelmed by the suggestion. However, the Board are much better informed than the average NSC contributor and I have a degree of faith in their decision-making. I for one will withhold judgement until I see what Potter can actually bring to the Albion, if he is appointed.

Totally this. People need to read and listen to the podcasts and articles about Potter. Lampard we will have to wait at least 2 weeks for and even then if Derby go up he'd probably say no. Neville would terrible as the womans World Cup doesn't finish until July 7th.

Also people getting annoyed its taking "so long" its not an exact science and we are fairly well known for keeping quiet in these situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here