Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Could this be the answer to the question: Why did we start trying to play 4-3-3?

Maybe our style of play has been imposed on CH rather than the other way around? If so it is clear that he is not able to play the way the club require him to.

We were warned about CH's style by the Norwich fans!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It was telling for me that when we really needed a result in the second half, seven of the eleven on the field were the Championship promotion squad.

There were a few knocks to take in to consideration of course but basically the only new boys were Ryan (and Stockdale left so the keeper would have to be a new boy), Gross who was player of the season last season and actually scored, and Bissouma and Bernardo who represent our two new players with the most potential.

Did he call Locadia off the bench? Did he ****. On you go Knocky and Solly. Off you come Izzy and Andone.

That doesn't excuse what I would consider to be Hughton's worst tactical half of football since he joined the club, nor the confidence sapping negative approach that has got us in to the doo doo in the first place, but when push came to shove CH trusted the players that got us in to the division and not those bought to keep us there.

I've said on others of these threads that I reluctantly think it is time for Chris to move upstairs or to be thanked profusely and given some kind of ambassador role until such time as a savvy Championship team comes in for him. I've been a great supporter of his up to now but he can't take the team any further forward than this. That shouldn't mask the fact he's been given a tool kit almost entirely full of square pegs. But they're not quite all square pegs and, since Christmas, he's only tried to force them in to round holes.

Don't know why Solly didn't start!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Chris is given some Premier class players to manage,instead of the good Championship and average to poor imports he has at the moment,he should be judged on results then.The gap in class to the Newcastle players was glaringly obvious yesterday.Team Hughton :thumbsup::albion:

We’ve had two years in this division and he has been here for four, if CH doesn’t have an input into the players we sign I will be amazed.

Maybe he needs to start trusting his players to play to their strengths and stop shitting himself, and passing this mentality to the players, about every team we play being better than us .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agree, but not too sure about the foreign players we've never heard of bit - I sort of feel we've had more than enough of them lately!

Although to balance this out both Bernardo and Bissouma will be great next year, and probably Andone too. Players like Locadia and AJ are still good enough to learn from this season and compete for a place. The whole squad needs a good preseason together. We have just got to hope that they are all capable of improving and bear in mind that this season has been a massive learning curve for them.

I don't know if Percy Tau is a shrewd foreign signing or not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Although to balance this out both Bernardo and Bissouma will be great next year, and probably Andone too. Players like Locadia and AJ are still good enough to learn from this season and compete for a place. The whole squad needs a good preseason together. We have just got to hope that they are all capable of improving and bear in mind that this season has been a massive learning curve for them.

I don't know if Percy Tau is a shrewd foreign signing or not.
Yes, the first three you mention have done OK - but no more than that, IMHO. We do need to add some real quality at the heart of the team for next season - and by that I mean quality and NOT quantity.
On top of that, though, something has seriously gone wrong this year; we don't seem to have that #Together thing any more. One or two bad apples in the squad? Whatever it is, CH needs to sort it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Bielsa, Farque and Wagner have all worked relative miracles in the last few years .

If they've worked "miracles" then presumably Hughton did too. Hughton actually got a team promoted (Bielsa looks like he's failed) and kept them in the Premier League probably for the third year in a row (lets see how Norwich do, Wagner resigned and Hudds collapsed after 2 years). His record , given budgets, and where he started is better than all of em.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If we stay up and want to progress a a club Hughton has to go in the Summer. It is as smiple as that

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If they've worked "miracles" then presumably Hughton did too. Hughton actually got a team promoted (Bielsa looks like he's failed) and kept them in the Premier League probably for the third year in a row (lets see how Norwich do, Wagner resigned and Hudds collapsed after 2 years). His record , given budgets, and where he started is better than all of em.

Rafa has pulled off a much more impressive miracle imo and as far as I’m aware hasn’t spent more than us over the last two seasons either. They have done it without stinking the division out with the same old negative tactics every game too.

I notice you chose to ignore that in your run down above,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Could this be the answer to the question: Why did we start trying to play 4-3-3?
Maybe our style of play has been imposed on CH rather than the other way around? If so it is clear that he is not able to play the way the club require him to.

This is an interesting thought, when did Ashworth arrive? And what is l, specifically, his role? If Hughton has had this imposed on him then all criticism is unfair, mine included. However, I would find that particularly odd with Bloom at the helm who gave Hughton a lot of freedom when he came in.

Ha ! Conspiracy theory time.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

Don’t believe the lie that we haven’t spent much.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Rafa has pulled off a much more impressive miracle imo and as far as I’m aware hasn’t spent more than us over the last two seasons either.

I notice you chose to ignore that in your run down above,

Good luck to Rafa. But even he has had more to play with than Albion in terms of budgets .
Like it or not Hughton has kept , Cardiff miracles aside, Albion in the Premier league for a 3rd season in a row with a bottom 6 budget.
Not good enough for the vocal majority on these threads and nobody is denying its been grim in the last few months or that recruitment in the summer has been mixed to say the least but an achievement nonetheless .

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to Rafa. But even he has had more to play with than Albion in terms of budgets .
Like it or not Hughton has kept , Cardiff miracles aside, Albion in the Premier league for a 3rd season in a row with a bottom 6 budget.
Not good enough for the vocal majority on these threads and nobody is denying its been grim in the last few months or that recruitment in the summer has been mixed to say the least but an achievement nonetheless .

Only three teams get relegated, if we had a budget in the bottom three then I’d agree it was a miracle

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think CH is toast.

How on earth can we expect to capitalise on DAs recruitment expertise? Any creative or attacking player will veto coming to BHAFC if CH is at the helm. Because it is now labelled as a graveyard of creativity. This situation would quickly cause stagnation and a cancer about the place that is guaranteed to be an accelerating spiral of decline.

So, for me TB will have him out PDQ, and bring in a manager capable of positively blending in the talents that DA brings to the club.

Can’t imagine for one minute our players will do a lap of honour at the last home game, because Citeh will be getting their trophy. More likely a hurried face down circuit of shight, but I would happily be there to recognise CHs four year contribution, and to wave him a genuine farewell.

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
I'm completely team Chris. It's been a really difficult season and I'm concerned as anyone about the recent collapse in confidence. But we look like we'll stay up and that's the ONLY measure of success right now.

Funnily enough what this season has shown me is that the demands to play more expansive football came too soon. With hindsight, we stick to to the 4411 formation and we'll always be hard to beat plus dangerous on the counter when key creative players are fit.

Maybe there does need to be a rethink over the summer, but that should be about what kind of ambition is currently practical for us and formation/personnel will enable that. Either way, Chris should be in charge. He's not perfect but he's pretty damn good.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If we have Hughton next season we must improve. It will be our third season after all. There has to come a time when we start looking up and not for 3 teams worse than us every season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here