Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Good Luck [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] on Sunday. One of the best bits of advice on London came from [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - take time to look up at all those amazing London landmarks.
There’s about 15 Rogue Runners taking part of you are looking for friendly faces.

Thanks - I've had full-on maranoia for days; my legs feel sluggish and achey, I keep thinking I'm getting a cold, and every time someone wishes me good luck or tells me they'll be stalking me on the app, I wish I'd not told anyone I'm doing it. At the same time, I'm super excited about it. There seems to be quite a large Brighton running contingent doing it, so I expect to see some of the usual suspects on the way round.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks - I've had full-on maranoia for days; my legs feel sluggish and achey, I keep thinking I'm getting a cold, and every time someone wishes me good luck or tells me they'll be stalking me on the app, I wish I'd not told anyone I'm doing it. At the same time, I'm super excited about it. There seems to be quite a large Brighton running contingent doing it, so I expect to see some of the usual suspects on the way round.

All of this !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Never mind London, I *think* I clocked a new SB at Worthing this morning! Waiting for official confirmation, but looks like a long-awaited sub-23 has arrived!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Confirmed: 22:40. There's no way I'm brave enough to update the table though...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'll do it! About all I can do at the moment. Eased out a 24:41 on the Prom but still weak from sinus, headaches and not breathing properly. Would be worried but wife the same.

Good running Bobkin., I'll do the table after waiting for London Marathon times.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
have now entered both the halfmarathon in Feb 2020 and the Marathon in April 2020 :

am currently running 65 70kms a month having run little or not at all since last June:

how many kms a month should i be running in the months leading up to the half marathon :

any advice or encouragement will be welcome : i did a couple of 10km runs in 2007/2008 but this is serious!

please send a link to the best web sites for advice on training if you have anything worth sharing

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Nice one - an SB in those conditions is a joy to behold.

A slowish 22.20 for me with a 74.40% AG - which was the 2nd best AG in a field of 400. This is remarkable as Worthing usually clocks up several 80%+ and even the occasional 90%. today the really class runners must have dived under their duvets when they saw the weather.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
19:58 and AG of 69.95% for me today, pleased to dip under 20 as conditions were blustery and I had a stitch half way round!

I then went and played kids v parents game of football at Junior Orange's football club.

:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice one - an SB in those conditions is a joy to behold.

A slowish 22.20 for me with a 74.40% AG - which was the 2nd best AG in a field of 400. This is remarkable as Worthing usually clocks up several 80%+ and even the occasional 90%. today the really class runners must have dived under their duvets when they saw the weather.
I must admit when I got close to the turn that I hadn't seen many coming back the other way.

Apart from last week with Jnr, I've not done Worthing for ages - man it's got busy! To the point where the start was crowded with slower runners (I was quite neat the front), which probably cost me about 30 seconds. Bit congested until you get to the pier!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
have now entered both the halfmarathon in Feb 2020 and the Marathon in April 2020 :

am currently running 65 70kms a month having run little or not at all since last June:

how many kms a month should i be running in the months leading up to the half marathon :

any advice or encouragement will be welcome : i did a couple of 10km runs in 2007/2008 but this is serious!

please send a link to the best web sites for advice on training if you have anything worth sharing

My advice would be to get hold of a marathon plan from somewhere like Runners World website (there might be better ones these days – it's ages since I've stuck to one for a marathon!). That would – I think – have you running a half marathon distance run anyway, by the time comes around before ramping up to the marathon. Although the Brighton half and full marathons are organised by different groups, I think they do tie in training-wise, because they realise so many people do both.

Your mileage at the moment seems adequate for ticking over for the summer – most of the plans kick in at the turn of the year, I think. What I would suggest is a mix of hills, speedwork and a long run every week. That seems to be what gives be the biggest improvements fitness-wise...

Good luck!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My advice would be to get hold of a marathon plan from somewhere like Runners World website (there might be better ones these days – it's ages since I've stuck to one for a marathon!). That would – I think – have you running a half marathon distance run anyway, by the time comes around before ramping up to the marathon. Although the Brighton half and full marathons are organised by different groups, I think they do tie in training-wise, because they realise so many people do both.

Your mileage at the moment seems adequate for ticking over for the summer – most of the plans kick in at the turn of the year, I think. What I would suggest is a mix of hills, speedwork and a long run every week. That seems to be what gives be the biggest improvements fitness-wise...

Good luck!

Agree, having done Brighton Half and Full this year they tie in neatly together. I started serious training in the middle of December. 16 weeks is the average for a a standard plan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd forgotten how much marathons whack your physical shape, immune system and mental health.

I have very little enthusiasm at the moment but am ticking over purely because I don't want to "waste" the condition I've built up. A cold has also filled me full of yucky stuff. For three runs in a row I've not been able to run faster than 10 minute miles, though I managed 12 of those this morning and also said hello to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and his dog.

Still not sure of next steps but I'm not sure they include another marathon any time soon. The training is one thing but the two weeks after aren't much fun either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd forgotten how much marathons whack your physical shape, immune system and mental health.

I have very little enthusiasm at the moment but am ticking over purely because I don't want to "waste" the condition I've built up. A cold has also filled me full of yucky stuff. For three runs in a row I've not been able to run faster than 10 minute miles, though I managed 12 of those this morning and also said hello to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and his dog.

Still not sure of next steps but I'm not sure they include another marathon any time soon. The training is one thing but the two weeks after aren't much fun either.
Usually am to do another two weeks after [emoji106]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
My first 10k of the year in Leicester Big 10k today with a PB of 53:12. Nothing on you guys but after only running 4 times in the last 7 weeks due to some niggling injuries I was delighted to come through with my best time.

It was my first ever 10k last year and beating last years time by over three minutes despite very little recent miles shows how far I have come. Hopefully injuries are behind me and I can break the 50 minute mark over the summer

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It happens to the best of us. Let's be honest, we've all been there. :lolol:

I was VERY tempted to wee myself during the soaking wet Leicester Half Marathon last year. Suddenly needed a piss about 10 seconds before we set off so had to just go without but once wet through after about 30 minutes the only thing that stopped me was that I remembered that the Mrs was picking me up in her new car. Didn't think I would have got away with that!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here