Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Kitchen table (Charlotte Street, W1) - 2 star - have just sent me an email saying that they are re-opening in early May following a 6-week refurb closure. There’s loads of availability for May as a consequence, but it’ll go quickly. It’s the best 2 star in the UK, imo - never had a bad, or boring meal. Book!
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] others??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Kitchen table (Charlotte Street, W1) - 2 star - have just sent me an email saying that they are re-opening in early May following a 6-week refurb closure. There’s loads of availability for May as a consequence, but it’ll go quickly. It’s the best 2 star in the UK, imo - never had a bad, or boring meal. Book!
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] others??

Don't tend to do London ...... BUT ...... 8 days until I try the Sportsman !!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks for the heads up. I doubt it’s going to work for me in May though. Shame.

On the 2 star tip I’m going to Rutz tonight....but the no star wine bar and not the 2 star restaurant part. The wine bar menu theme is the rescue of German cuisine with hams, liver sausage deer salami, black pudding, ox shoulder and thankfully normal wines.

Also, I noticed this on the menu regarding steaks.
No compromise – no degree of doneness
We don’t serve our meat rare or medium. Every steak get served with a core temperature of 50°C/122°F. Every meat is matured for min. 5 weeks And there is no filet steak!

Not sure what to make of this, I guess it’s their restaurant so they can do what they want. The burger place I frequent has a similar line where he refuses to cook the burgers well done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't tend to do London ...... BUT ...... 8 days until I try the Sportsman !!!!

You’re almost on a par with me and how many times I can mention St John :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was treated to a birthday luncheon at the 13th century Spread Eagle Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, in the old fashioned little town of Midhurst last Friday..

An excellent meal, with very good service in delightful surroundings. I started with a grilled salmon boudin, then for main course it was fillet of bream, followed by home made vanilla ice cream with warm butterscotch sause for dessert.

Terrific value to at 18.00 per head for all three courses, or just 12.00 had it been two. Add a couple of large gins and a bottle of Pino and of course the bill went up. All most enjoyable though.

Not many will realise it, and l certainly didn't, but the Spread Eagle was the venue for a meeting of top Nazi generals in 1938, where, allegedly, Hermann Goering decided he wanted to live at Leonardslee Housein Lower Beeding, after they had won the war.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Was treated to a birthday luncheon at the 13th century Spread Eagle Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, in the old fashioned little town of Midhurst last Friday..

An excellent meal, with very good service in delightful surroundings. I started with a grilled salmon boudin, then for main course it was fillet of bream, followed by home made vanilla ice cream with warm butterscotch sause for dessert.

Terrific value to at 18.00 per head for all three courses, or just 12.00 had it been two. Add a couple of large gins and a bottle of Pino and of course the bill went up. All most enjoyable though.

Not many will realise it, and l certainly didn't, but the Spread Eagle was the venue for a meeting of top Nazi generals in 1938, where, allegedly, Hermann Goering decided he wanted to live at Leonardslee Housein Lower Beeding, after they had won the war.

The Spread Eagle is a lovely place ..... BUT if you stay make sure you upgrade your room. The standard ones are rubbish.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So a weekend of eating in Whitstable .... and what a place for food. A review below of one great place with The Sportsman to follow once Mrs W sends me the photos of all the courses. I even managed to avoid Kent's biggest Kent .... [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] :wink:

Wheelers

Very small place - handful of tables but also has a deli. The deli had constant queues down the street which was quite telling. It's BYO so a nice bottle of Polly Fume from the offie over the road. Starters were blow tourched mackrel, eel, with a beetroot soup accompanied by an apple grape and celery salad and smoked haddock on a spinach and potato risotto with egg yolk and parmesan. Both were great except the beetroot soup which really didn't suit the dish .... maybe beetroot jus and candied beetroot cubes would have been better.

On to mains and it was Pot Roasted Pollock with fermented black garlic, buttered kale, french onion soup, oxtail agnolotti and gruyere sour dough croutons. Mrs W had Zander with saffron and shellfish linguine, garlic samphire, prawn bisque, crab and bon bons. Both mains were stunning.

Mrs W followed this off with a Pistachio souffle and bitter chocolate ice cream. Not my cup of tea but she loved it.

All in all - highly recommended - good prices and good service. 9/10.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
How far in advance did you have to book Wheelers? We got in last minute once and had a brilliant meal. Lobster Lasagne, if memory serves (sounds terrible but was a belter), for main after a superb black bream thing.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How far in advance did you have to book Wheelers? We got in last minute once and had a brilliant meal. Lobster Lasagne, if memory serves (sounds terrible but was a belter), for main after a superb black bream thing.

We booked about 4 weeks ahead. Saw at least a couple of dozen people turned away because they hadn't booked but it was Good Friday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, Cin Cin for lunch with a couple of fiends and then I’m going to Fourth and Church where [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and their better halves are also going. It’s looking like a nice Saturday.....what could possibly go wrong tomorrow eh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, Cin Cin for lunch with a couple of fiends and then I’m going to Fourth and Church where [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and their better halves are also going. It’s looking like a nice Saturday.....what could possibly go wrong tomorrow eh?

2424676.t.jpg

??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

No doubt 90 minutes of shit football

must pay a visit to Cin Cin

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well I so hope you can enjoy dinner with a smile on your face tomorrow. Fourth and Church sounds like the ideal place for a celebration.

Mind you, you can also o/d on their excellent wine list should thinks go t*** up!

Jul 7, 2003

My invite seems to have got lost in the post again:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here