Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Refused At Wetherspoons

theboybilly

I was refused entry at the Rose in Fulham when we played Chelsea (it's the nearest pub to where the coaches park) I was asked which team I supported and said I wasn't going to lie. I too am 64, was on my own and walk with the aid of a stick. If we go there next season I'm going to say I'm in town on business or something and need a drink. It's over the top nonsense unless it's a local derby (or Leeds of course)
But in truth (if you can seek one out) you're always better off with a micropub

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was refused entry at the Rose in Fulham when we played Chelsea (it's the nearest pub to where the coaches park) I was asked which team I supported and said I wasn't going to lie. I too am 64, was on my own and walk with the aid of a stick. If we go there next season I'm going to say I'm in town on business or something and need a drink. It's over the top nonsense unless it's a local derby (or Leeds of course)
But in truth (if you can seek one out) you're always better off with a micropub[/QUOTE]

Not if you want a pint of guinness, I wouldn't think.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But in truth (if you can seek one out) you're always better off with a micropub

Micropubs are for HIPSTERS with long BEARDS and that's just the women

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Went to go into the local Wetherspoons at Wolverhampton yesterday and was asked for my ticket. When I finally realised he meant my football ticket I was refused admission because it was home fans only. I'm 64 years old, travelling alone, wearing no colours, and been to over 75 league grounds, this is the first time I've ever been refused. Supposedly Police orders. I went over the road to another pub with a sign home fans only, had 2 pints of Guinness, chat with wolves fans and watched City on TV, no problem. Anyone else get refused yesterday.

I can't understand the language meself.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Went to go into the local Wetherspoons at Wolverhampton yesterday and was asked for my ticket. When I finally realised he meant my football ticket I was refused admission because it was home fans only. I'm 64 years old, travelling alone, wearing no colours, and been to over 75 league grounds, this is the first time I've ever been refused. Supposedly Police orders. I went over the road to another pub with a sign home fans only, had 2 pints of Guinness, chat with wolves fans and watched City on TV, no problem. Anyone else get refused yesterday.

You sound like a troublemaker to me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had a holiday in the Lake District last week, thought we would take a break and stop in Morecombe for an hour or soon the way home.... bit of a grim place but the worst of it was chancing upon the local Spoon's, it was named The Eric Bartholemew. Sad that such an absolute legend's name is being used to trawl up business for a crap pub chain.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Had a holiday in the Lake District last week, thought we would take a break and stop in Morecombe for an hour or soon the way home.... bit of a grim place but the worst of it was chancing upon the local Spoon's, it was named The Eric Bartholemew. Sad that such an absolute legend's name is being used to trawl up business for a crap pub chain.

Yes - but to be fair, at least they do try and incorporate some sort of local significance into most of their pub names - which is a far cry from many chains. Bit pointless really though - because no-one says 'Meet you in the Eric Bartholomew (or whichever)', but always 'Meet you in the Wetherspoons'.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Last boxing day went to chelsea and into home only pub across road from ground .Went on coach from Amex and had london friends home season tickets which had to show !!

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Somewhat different to London and Brighton I would imagine.

I usually reckon on paying between £4.50 and £5. I did notice the way BHA increased the price of Guinness. It was £4.50 then they stopped it for a year and replaced it with Harvey's Stout, when Guinness returned it was £5, a cleaver way of a 12% increase without complaints. I don't mind because I've always said charge me what you like, if I don't agree you will never sell me another one.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Wetherspoons is the McDonalds or the pub game, you get 6 / 10 every time. With tenancies or Free Trade you might get 1 or 10 out of ten. You pays your money etc

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011

We went to the Moon under water and told home fans only. Directed to the Premier inn who wanted a £1 entry fee for Great Ormand Street to go inside. Was nice having a pint in the sunshine

boik

Was in the Lake District a couple of years back and went into a newsagent, looking for 442 or WSC. Couldn't find anything and when I asked, the owner scowled and said they didn't DO football, only rugby.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
^^ additionally sometimes it’s nice and easy to know exactly what you’re going to get. Reliable food and drink at a price you know before you go in. Perfect with mates or alone. Nobody would suggest it’s high cuisine but it gets the job done, the service is always quick and beer is cheap.

Anything else I add will only echo the above poster; you might have a 10/10 experience, or 1/10 in an independent. Being the cautious type I take a solid 6/10 experience if I’m in a rush or on a budget.

That said I avoid all Yates’ like the plague.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
If it was the Moon under water I was there yesterday. Just walked straight in and up to the bar. A couple of very nice pints of Oakham Citra at £2.15 each. Although it said the strength was 4.2 and I'm sure it used to be 4.4 or 4.6 so I guess the brewer is making extra profit on it's popularity.

Always been 4.2% from memory. Oakham Bishops Farewell is 4.6%.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here