Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Comparisons to Hughton end at Norwich

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
This chimes with what I saw last night. It seemed like the first instinct of a lot of players was to go forward - either passing the ball or making a run - but then they checked themselves for a split second and the opportunity was gone. So passes went astray because they were made too late or the runners they were supposed to go to had not made the run. It seems like they've been drilled that the first thing to do when you get the ball is to make sure you don't take a risk.With the confidence gone, this has led to players becoming unable to make decisions quickly enough.

If this is drilled into them in training for hours every session then it becomes second nature, all very well when a goal or two up but not when chasing games. I’d question whether Trollope & Nevin have queried these tactics with CH or just agree with him as he’s the main man but their jobs are now at risk as well.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
a very interesting read about our CH...so very many parallells it amazing...we have turned into the canaries slowly but surely....The comment about setting up for a draw and hoping to nick a goal just about sums it all up.

We’ve certainly gone yellow in recent times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
New chant

"You do know what your doing
But you appear to have
Succumbed to old bad habits
Which is a shame"

I might take another run at it.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I see in the Argus today Hughton is still talking about how we are a team that isn’t going to score goals so need to stay in the game and try nick a goal. This shows there is absolutely no way that he’s going to turn things around.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I see in the Argus today Hughton is still talking about how we are a team that isn’t going to score goals so need to stay in the game and try nick a goal. This shows there is absolutely no way that he’s going to turn things around.

if he can say that sort of thing when we're in this position his job must be as safe as houses :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I’ll be flamed for this but that smacks of defeatism to me. Not the fact that he intends to play that way, I kind of get it, but that he is saying it to the press. I’d kind of hoped for a rallying defiant reaction publically, I guess that’s Barber’s brief though :smile:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You don't become shit players overnight.
The buck sadly stops at the man running the team.

Plus it's easier and cheaper to replace the one man running than eleven men on the pitch.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Surely if you don’t become shit players overnight then the same goes for the manager - the players and manager look to be running scared from the spectre of relegation, and we as fans, with our ridiculously high expectations appear to be adding to that pressure!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

What an absolute shit message to say to your supporters and an even worse one for Wolves to see, the bloke has lost it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Shows that he is speaking honestly and realistically to the press. What were you expecting, that we're going to go to Wolves and put 2 or 3 past them?

Would you have been more reassured with a bullshit cry of we're going to go all out and suddenly transform ourselves into a goal machine?

If we sacked Hughton, I guarantee any manager that came in would be thinking exactly the same in our situation; stop shifting goals. That is all Cardiff did really on Tuesday. They were set up not to concede, they were time wasting after 10mins at 0-0. Whoever is in charge, that is the brief in the next 5 games, keep a clean sheet. If we can keep 2 clean sheets out of the 5, I'll wager we'll stay up.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What an absolute shit message to say to your supporters and an even worse one for Wolves to see, the bloke has lost it.

Clearly you're happy with what [MENTION=3761]El Turi[/MENTION] has summarised, here is the article, not sure I can see anything that wouldn't otherwise be delusional. I would say this is exactly what you want to hear in a relegation dogfight. We've conceded some absolutely shocking goals in the last few games, and regardless of scoring goals or not, that has to stop, we have to give ourselves a chance in games.

ALBION have been told to tighten up if they want to stay up.

The Seagulls will increase their two-point advantage over 18th-placed Cardiff City, who host Liverpool on Sunday, if they keep just a second away clean sheet of the season at Wolves.
But Chris Hughton admits his low-scoring side have not been defending well enough.
The Albion boss says he cannot see his current squad suddenly becoming a free-scoring outfit.
But he believes they must defend better as a team – starting at Molineux.
Albion, Fulham and Arsenal have each managed just one shut out away from home.
Hughton said:
“We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that."
“What we have been able to do is stay in games, make games close and tight affairs."
“In those games (defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff), we’ve conceded far too many goals, and that’s not down to individuals. It’s down to the team."
“If we’re not going to score the goals, we need to be more resilient."
“Over the last few days, we haven’t been like that.”

Albion have only once conceded less than two goals in their last seven away games – and it brought them a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.
Hughton, whose side are goalless in five games in league and cup, said: “We put in a performance at Palace which allowed us to win the game. We’ll have to do that again.”

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Shows that he is speaking honestly and realistically to the press. What were you expecting, that we're going to go to Wolves and put 2 or 3 past them?

Would you have been more reassured with a bullshit cry of we're going to go all out and suddenly transform ourselves into a goal machine?

Why talk in such extremes? Of course he's not going to say that stupid stuff

But he could say stuff like ... "we've been out of form, on our day we know we can compete with just about anyone in this league, we need to regroup, show belief and play with discipline, we're working hard on the training ground and we're all confident we have enough to get the job done, starting this weekend"

The stuff that goes into the Argus is purely for the fans benefit (it really isn't intelligence material for our next opponents!). We've slipped from 40/1 to 2/1 for relegation, surely he can get us believing they haven't thrown the towel in and are confident that they can do the job. WTF do the players think, he doesn't really mean that? Nah!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But he could say stuff like ... "we've been out of form, on our day we know we can compete with just about anyone in this league, we need to regroup, show belief and play with discipline, we're working hard on the training ground and we're all confident we have enough to get the job done, starting this weekend"

That is pretty much what he has said in the article. :shrug:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That is pretty much what he has said in the article. :shrug:

1. He's explained why we're losing (no shit Sherlock)
2. He's suggesting if Wolves (or any other team we play I guess) score then we lose

3. He's not said anything about winning
4. He's not said anything about staying up
5. He's not said anything about the team and inspiring them to higher levels of performance (his job)

I could go on

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’ll be flamed for this but that smacks of defeatism to me. Not the fact that he intends to play that way, I kind of get it, but that he is saying it to the press. I’d kind of hoped for a rallying defiant reaction publically, I guess that’s Barber’s brief though :smile:

I'd prefer it to come from the manager. Most fans will have heard PB's rallying cry and thought...." Ok...fair enough...we can all understand why you are bigging up a bad situation but we need positivity from the manager and a real reaction on Tuesday "
The failure to get a reaction from the team v Cardiff indicates that it has gone too far and despite all the talk about changing things, is irretrievable. As many have said on here, it has been drifting for some time and many have chosen to or not spotted the signs.
It is not just our PL position at stake. It is CH's career and it is TB's long term relationship with the fans. Many felt that he sat on his hands for too long re Hyypia and have a similar feeling re CH. Bloom is gambling now. He can see the signs like the rest of us but is staying loyal. If the boat is sinking, do you keep trying to paddle or do you jump off and try and improve your chances?
If TB was going to act it had to be Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Five games is still enough time for caretakers/stop gaps to lift spirits, get a positive reaction, tweak playing style and maybe spring the odd surprise result. TB has obviously decided that same old/ same old may do the trick. I remain less than convinced and CH's words make me even more concerned.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here