Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ok, let me say it a little differently. People are now saying laws need to be changed for VAR, that affects all levels.

Who is saying that? I can’t see what laws need changing. People just need to accept that the laws of the game will be applied precisely

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Who is saying that? I can’t see what laws need changing. People just need to accept that the laws of the game will be applied precisely

Look at all the VAR discussion threads on here this weekend, I have read them all, there are posters that are calling for law changes. And, to an extent, I can understand why.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Personally I think it’s going to make the Lino worse , knowing that he or she has back up with VAR . Looking at it I would like to think the Lino should of picked up that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

If everyone took that attitude, nothing would ever change. Perhaps you need to accept that var is at the moment deeply flawed and unpopular. Maybe the strength of feeling against it will lead to its demise or at least being watered down to an acceptable level.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally I think it’s going to make the Lino worse , knowing that he or she has back up with VAR . Looking at it I would like to think the Lino should of picked up that one

Same with the awful crickets umpires we have witnessed recently.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If everyone took that attitude, nothing would ever change. Perhaps you need to accept that var is at the moment deeply flawed and unpopular. Maybe the strength of feeling against it will lead to its demise or at least being watered down to an acceptable level.

I don’t understand what the problem is though. If a linesman flagged Burn offside on Saturday would we be having this debate?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don’t understand what the problem is though. If a linesman flagged Burn offside on Saturday would we be having this debate?

If you can't see that var has not only changed a decision like the disallowed goal on saturday (correctly) but also alters the way that players and fans celebrate subsequent goals, then I can only assume that you watch football like the muppet in front of me on Saturday who asked me not to shout so loud as it was spoiling his enjoyment of the game (no offence intended to you, but he was passionless).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No! That is the point!!

I’m not even pro VAR, but I think us as fans are hypocritical. We all go mental when a mistake is made,l that costs us a game or points, and talk about all the money in football blah blah, but now don’t want a game where there are no costly mistakes made

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair it must be pretty hard to have one eye on the free kick and the other eye on the line. No one else noticed it at the time, not even from the stands.

My only question would be is; if Burn passed to another player, who then played it to Trossard to score. How far back do they go?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you can't see that var has not only changed a decision like the disallowed goal on saturday (correctly) but also alters the way that players and fans celebrate subsequent goals, then I can only assume that you watch football like the muppet in front of me on Saturday who asked me not to shout so loud as it was spoiling his enjoyment of the game (no offence intended to you, but he was passionless).

Actually, as someone in Portugal for the Nations League this summer and celebrated the Lingaard goal that was disallowed, that thought did not even cross my mind for the first or second ‘goals’ on Saturday.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I’m not even pro VAR, but I think us as fans are hypocritical. We all go mental when a mistake is made,l that costs us a game or points, and talk about all the money in football blah blah, but now don’t want a game where there are no costly mistakes made

I personally believe allowing the fans and players to celebrate a goal, send all the players back into position for a centre, wait a few more minutes and then finally disallowing the goal is a costly mistake for the sake of the game and enjoyment factor.

If people can't see this as a glaring error then I suppose var suits them?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

But you have to decide what you would rather do? Go mental over a human error or go mental over the sanitised version of football. The whole argument isn't over them getting it right or wrong but about the need to allow human error. I would take human error 98 times out of 100, the only one being Frank Lampard's goal v Germany, oh and Maradona.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ok let’s look at this another way, the Gross goal against Man Utd that was 1mm over the line, did fans not celebrate that until the ref checked his watch?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ok let’s look at this another way, the Gross goal against Man Utd that was 1mm over the line, did fans not celebrate that until the ref checked his watch?

I don’t remember anyone really celebrating that one until the ref pointed to his watch? That is goal line technology though which compared to VAR is a very well thought out and implemented technological solution that has seamlessly been adopted within the game.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don’t remember anyone really celebrating that one until the ref pointed to his watch? That is goal line technology though which compared to VAR is a very well thought out and implemented technological solution that has seamlessly been adopted within the game.

Frank Lampard v Germany, totally agree and decided within a second.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was no different to cheering post-potential goal and then realising the flag was up for off-side. Personally I thought it seemed quite quick, but I appreciate others disagree. It was the right decision too, and that should trump everything else in my opinion. I also liked that they showed the decision on the big screen.

It can definitely be refined though and putting microphones on the refs should be standard, even at this early stage. In that regard, you'd cut out the confusion, you'd cut out the celebrations until it's confirmed and there'd be less pointless debate over decisions. I actually thought the ref was excellent on Saturday too.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
When WHU scored though the goal was checked, as all are, but I don't recall any VAR announcement either Checking Goal or Goal, it's poorly thought through and the communication is only a part of that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This is the key flaw at the moment. But I do think putting microphones on referees would stop that as it's the lack of clarity that's the killer. Plus we'll all adapt, sooner or later, to waiting that fraction of a second.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd be interested to take some stats from leagues that have had 1+ seasons of VAR. What is the average goal, per team that is turned over in a season?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here