Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bristol City won't kick the ball out of play

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We didn't give the ball back, last season (?).
I'm gonna say v Everton but that kind of knowledge is way outside my abilities.

I do remember getting titsy at the prospect of returning the ball then roaring when we didn't.

You're correct - it was when Everton's Current Gravity Whore submitted to his love of gravity.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Agree 200% with this as Ron Manager would have said - far too much rolling around as if shot and miraculous recoveries

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
This does not make sense.
Dont worry, I dont think it does either. I had a scenario in my head where the ref doesn't blow but they themselves need it kicked out to stop a goal or opportunity for the opposition. But I cant remember what it was.

The question I think I was trying to ask is will they refuse to kick out themselves even to their own detriment?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're correct - it was when Everton's Current Gravity Whore submitted to his love of gravity.

Blimey I'm genuinely amazed by that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dont worry, I dont think it does either. I had a scenario in my head where the ref doesn't blow but they themselves need it kicked out to stop a goal or opportunity for the opposition. But I cant remember what it was.

The question I think I was trying to ask is will they refuse to kick out themselves even to their own detriment?
I got it, I think..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, think this is a draconian measure for something that is quite straightforward. I think players know when someone has a serious injury, whether it be to the head or knee etc. What they shouldn't be doing is kicking the ball out when it is clearly something minor. What will happen if a BC player get's an ACL injury, are they going to want the other team to kick the ball out? If everyone adheres to Johnson's missive then he'll have a player with a potential career threatening injury not receiving any treatment!

Perhaps another possible solution is that if a player goes down and his team mates clamour for the ball to be put out then the player should leave the field of play and his team must throw the ball back to opposition within 10 yrds of where the ball went out and no players within 10 yrds until they have touched the ball.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
New this year..

Dropped ball - Laws 8 & 9

Changes
If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper
If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch
In all cases, all the other players (of both teams) must be at least 4m (4.5yds) away
If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded

Explanation
The current dropped ball procedure often leads to a ‘manufactured’ restart which is ‘exploited’ unfairly (e.g. kicking the ball out for a throw-in deep in the opponents’ half) or an aggressive confrontation. Returning the ball to the team that last played it restores what was ‘lost’ when play was stopped, except in the penalty area where it is simpler to return the ball to the goalkeeper. To prevent that team gaining an unfair advantage, all players of both teams, except the player receiving the ball, must be at least 4m (4.5 yds) away.
It can be very unfair if a team gains an advantage or scores a goal because the ball has hit a match official, especially the referee.

Was going to post something similar.

A few rule changes that some might have missed. Waiting to see how many complaints there are when players touch the ball from a goal kick before it has left the penalty area!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally, think this is a draconian measure for something that is quite straightforward. I think players know when someone has a serious injury, whether it be to the head or knee etc. What they shouldn't be doing is kicking the ball out when it is clearly something minor. What will happen if a BC player get's an ACL injury, are they going to want the other team to kick the ball out? If everyone adheres to Johnson's missive then he'll have a player with a potential career threatening injury not receiving any treatment!

Perhaps another possible solution is that if a player goes down and his team mates clamour for the ball to be put out then the player should leave the field of play and his team must throw the ball back to opposition within 10 yrds of where the ball went out and no players within 10 yrds until they have touched the ball.

How can a player on the ball 50 yards away sprinting away from the "injured" player possibly know if its a serious injury or not ? Its not as if players are ever shy at feigning injury is it.

No, its simply not the players call to make, its entirely down to the referee - let HIM decide, and play to his whistle. Your other solution is completely unnecessary. The simplest solution is the best one, and Bristol City have played a blinder in being so pro-active and open about this. All other clubs should follow suit IMO.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
How many times do we see a player go down as if shot (a la Neymar) or 2 broken legs, only to get up and jog around with no problem as soon as they have the advantage.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How can a player on the ball 50 yards away sprinting away from the "injured" player possibly know if its a serious injury or not ? Its not as if players are ever shy at feigning injury is it.

No, its simply not the players call to make, its entirely down to the referee - let HIM decide, and play to his whistle. Your other solution is completely unnecessary. The simplest solution is the best one, and Bristol City have played a blinder in being so pro-active and open about this. All other clubs should follow suit IMO.

Well I beg to differ. I believe the players know when someone is faking or it is just minor. It also doesn't have to be the player on the ball, could easily be his team mates and the message will get there. Obviously not going to happen if the team are in the box about to shoot but don't see the problem elsewhere on the pitch.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Might be my imagination but there appears to be an increase in incidents where an attack breaks down and a fast counter attack takes place only to be brought to a halt because a head injury is feigned. Would be nice if something is done about that.

Blood needs to be spilled before the whistle blows, the ref can have a quick look and if he can see the payers brain then play must halt, otherwise it is deemed as cheating and we play on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is great. Bad injuries that require instant attention are rare and always obvious.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

ACL injury isn’t life threatening. Whether they get treated in 10 seconds or 60 seconds is irrelevant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It’s utterly LUDICROUS that players should be expected whilst through on goal to also be acting as some sort of remote medic for other players on the other side of the pitch.

Baffled why it would ever be even considered anything other than the referee’s decision. Should we leave other decisions - like handballs - also up to the players?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I beg to differ. I believe the players know when someone is faking or it is just minor. It also doesn't have to be the player on the ball, could easily be his team mates and the message will get there. Obviously not going to happen if the team are in the box about to shoot but don't see the problem elsewhere on the pitch.

Why not just make it up to the referee, and then none of this is an issue at all? Weird to involve the players in the decision making.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just to put an alternative point of view, quite often you receive a knock or a bang to the head and it chuffing hurts for about 30 seconds with no damage done.
Not that I am disagreeing with playing on as there is so much cheating to stop attacks but it's not that easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here