Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yes fu*king depressing, I watched a documentary years back about this, glad its been made into a series so the world can find about the case. I think I saw prosecutor Elizabeth Lederer has been fired from her job at Columbia Law School over the last couple days.

Unbelievable that she’s still in denial.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Not much of a series watcher but have really enjoyed and would recommend Designated Survivor with Kiefer Sutherland in it on Netflix. Similar to House of Cards in many respects but just as enjoyable. One for the Political aficionados out there.

Half way through the first series. Would add another recommendation. Great show, balances story line [some far fetched, other bits very believable] good acting.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just a heads up - Deadwood: The Movie (not the most inspiring title) is available. Have yet to watch it but given that David Milch wrote it, and that all the original cast are present, it's got to be good right? I'd certainly like to see how far from a happy ending Al and Seth and Joanie are given!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Grand Hotel is premiering tonight. Not obscure or left field but looks deranged enough to be on UK Telly sooner or later.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
FBI, corrupt criminal justice system. 4 episodes in, excellent viewing.

City-on-a-Hill-TV-Show-on-Showtime.jpg

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Yes fu*king depressing, I watched a documentary years back about this, glad its been made into a series so the world can find about the case. I think I saw prosecutor Elizabeth Lederer has been fired from her job at Columbia Law School over the last couple days.

Just finished watching this - breathtaking stuff - a must watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Earlier in the week I watched most of the first episode of The Rook:-

1199991.jpg

The fact that I went to sleep doesn't really say anything to the programme one way or another.
Although, in fairness, I did look a bit shit.

Should I give it another go?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Earlier in the week I watched most of the first episode of The Rook:-

View attachment 113214

The fact that I went to sleep doesn't really say anything to the programme one way or another.
Although, in fairness, I did look a bit shit.

Should I give it another go?

Gave up after the 3rd episode - too slow and the only decent actress in it is Joely Richardson, the paranormal has been done a lot better by other shows

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
City on a Hill

FBI, corrupt criminal justice system. 4 episodes in, excellent viewing.

This is really good. I'm 2 in now, and it's making me feel a bit scuzzy, spending time in their company. Any crime drama/film set in Boston feels 'dirty' - Spotlight, The Town, The Departed, Black Mass, What Doesn't Kill You, all brilliant but with absolutely no hint of glitz, it's all grim. Crappy people doing crappy things in a crappy town. (*insert your own Croydon comment here...)

Excellent stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Some good news at last.....

Series 2 of the gritty Aussie cop yarn Mystery Road back soon with the wonderful Sofia Helin (The Bridge) and the return (S7) of probably the best non-scandi Euro cop drama Spiral (Engrenages). Football back, and the Autumn may well bring some quality TV too.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
download.jpg

The Boys. Is excellent. A modern world where superheroes exist, but what happens when they go corporate and do whatever it takes to protect their brand? Does a group of mercenaries get on their case? You better watch to find out. It's really really good, and apparently is Amazon's most successful series to date. By turns, gross-out gory and snort-out-loud funny.

Loved Mr Mercedes... watched first episode of Goliath tonight... WTF... I'd watch another if I didnt have to get up early tomorrow!

Season 2 is out now! Season 3 of Goliath starts in September.

Since I was here last, I watched The Looming Tower, a look at FBI/CIA in-fighting before 9/11, which was superb. Jeff Daniels is, as always, superb.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
View attachment 114224

The Boys. Is excellent. A modern world where superheroes exist, but what happens when they go corporate and do whatever it takes to protect their brand? Does a group of mercenaries get on their case? You better watch to find out. It's really really good, and apparently is Amazon's most successful series to date. By turns, gross-out gory and snort-out-loud funny.

I've just watched the plane crash one. That part and the Spice girls speach were just superb. Best TV since Narcos.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
City on a Hill

This is really good. I'm 2 in now, and it's making me feel a bit scuzzy, spending time in their company. Any crime drama/film set in Boston feels 'dirty' - Spotlight, The Town, The Departed, Black Mass, What Doesn't Kill You, all brilliant but with absolutely no hint of glitz, it's all grim. Crappy people doing crappy things in a crappy town. (*insert your own Croydon comment here...)

Excellent stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

9 eps in, and still really enjoying this. Kevin Bacon is great, a real dirtbag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here