Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Victory for the anti-fascists

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What is a massive relief is that these sort of tear ups don't happen in Brighton any more. I witnessed some of the violence a few years ago and left convinced that neither group actually had strongly held views on fascism, but they thoroughly enjoyed fighting and aggression generally and joining in these rallies seemed to provide them with that outlet.

It then further occurred to me that I'd be prepared to chip in a few quid for some hatchets, cudgels and maybe a nailed baseball bat if they agreed to take this long held passion for violence away from the city I love and into some field in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, like I say, hope they don't come back.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the argument that the left brands people "fascist" too easily, is an accusation dished out too easily by those with something to hide, who don't like being confronted by the fact they hold questionable views or carry out questionable actions.

Yep. Happens all too often theses days. Still, good to see that deep down they know their views are wrong. Pity they like being so wrong.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think the argument that the left brands people "fascist" too easily, is an accusation dished out too easily by those with something to hide, who don't like being confronted by the fact they hold questionable views or carry action questionable actions.

Your rather vague post precisely reflects my point. Who are you to say that someone's views are questionable. You may question their views, you don't like them, or the answer you receive, so you state he or she must be a fascist to give you more credence and make yourself seem less extreme. (not necessarily you personally.)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If there was an anti fascist protest where the demonstators turned up, not to match hatred with bile and anger, knowing it will lead to violence, but lined the route silently with their backs turned, how much more powerful would that be? I'd be up for that

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What is a massive relief is that these sort of tear ups don't happen in Brighton any more. I witnessed some of the violence a few years ago and left convinced that neither group actually had strongly held views on fascism, but they thoroughly enjoyed fighting and aggression generally and joining in these rallies seemed to provide them with that outlet.

It then further occurred to me that I'd be prepared to chip in a few quid for some hatchets, cudgels and maybe a nailed baseball bat if they agreed to take this long held passion for violence away from the city I love and into some field in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, like I say, hope they don't come back.

Yes, I strongly suspect that this is indeed the case, but on here, you will find a general reluctance to see that.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Anti fascists? How ironic.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Your rather vague post precisely reflects my point. Who are you to say that someone's views are questionable. You may question their views, you don't like them, or the answer you receive, so you state he or she must be a fascist to give you more credence and make yourself seem less extreme. (not necessarily you personally.)

I'm sorry that's too vague for you to understand. I'll break it down into smaller pieces for those who don't understand what fascist means, even though it's a concept taught to school children.
The point I was making is that if someone attending a right wing demonstration or illegally detaining protesters, doesn't like being called a fascist then they either don't understand the concept, or don't like being confronted with the questionable morality of their actions. That's nothing to do with my opinion or giving credence to my views, those situations are universally recognized as fascist behavior. They are defining qualities.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

A fellow human with the capacity for empathy, sympathy and an interest in other people and their welfare. Jesus wept. Are we getting so PC now that calling a fascist a fascist is grounds for offence. Get a grip man.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A fellow human with the capacity for empathy, sympathy and an interest in other people and their welfare. Jesus wept. Are we getting so PC now that calling a fascist a fascist is grounds for offence. Get a grip man.

I think you know where this thread was going to go when you posted it and who was going to post what. :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with all this. People seem to automatically support, or jump to the defence these "anti fascist" groups because everyone is anti fascist right?

They're exactly the same as the other lot with a sizable element who just want to go out for a tear up, but it's alright to overlook criminal behaviour because their label is"anti fascist".

*edit* But that doesn't make them wrong in this situation, I think a lot of us have been on the wrong end of some dodgy tactics by the Met, they need to be held to account.

No. Everyone is not anti-fascists. Fascists aren't anti-fascists for a start. And then there are those that enable the fascists and provide cover for them -- Trump and Boris Bannon, for instance. There are also those that want to equate fascism with 'the other side from the left', either ignoring or conveniently forgetting that violence is integral to fascism, whereas many on the left are anti-violence. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
a quick throw-away line without any real evidence. How on earth can you possibly be in a position to make such an allegation?

I've been kettled and had batons swung at me for no reason at palace away and Orient away along with a few hundred Albion fans. Law of averages would suggest a few in here will have experienced the same. There was a video on here after the palace game of some bad treatment from the Met.

You might find this surprising because you and I are from a completely different demographic.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Maybe they need to act properly within the laws they are meant to uphold, and be careful with what money they do have.

Good point, but equally they are often under resourced and under incredible pressure to make a decision based more on fear due to this litigious society we live in, hence the "damned if they do" etc comment.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No. Everyone is not anti-fascists. Fascists aren't anti-fascists for a start. And then there are those that enable the fascists and provide cover for them -- Trump and Boris Bannon, for instance. There are also those that want to equate fascism with 'the other side from the left', either ignoring or conveniently forgetting that violence is integral to fascism, whereas many on the left are anti-violence. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

As a % of the population how many people do you think would call themselves fascist?

Then estimate what % would call themselves anti fascist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here