Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour lead in polls,anyone able explain why ?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think the biggest problem with all three parties, is the massive sense of disconnect that they have with the majority of the populace. Milliband, Cameron and Clegg are all unblinking, thought free robots, puppets who's every public utterance is controlled by the PR and spin merchants. They have little to no knowledge of what happens in the real world.
The reason why Nigel Farage has done as well as he has is purely down to the fact that he has attempted to strike a chord with the "regular" public, and has talked about issues that the electorate want to talk about. Whether this is down to incredibly clever PR people, or it is actually him, I'm not sure - but I just want to see a party leader talking like a regular person, instead of speaking in clichéd buzzword bullsh*t.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think the biggest problem with all three parties, is the massive sense of disconnect that they have with the majority of the populace. Milliband, Cameron and Clegg are all unblinking, thought free robots, puppets who's every public utterance is controlled by the PR and spin merchants. They have little to no knowledge of what happens in the real world.
The reason why Nigel Farage has done as well as he has is purely down to the fact that he has attempted to strike a chord with the "regular" public, and has talked about issues that the electorate want to talk about. Whether this is down to incredibly clever PR people, or it is actually him, I'm not sure - but I just want to see a party leader talking like a regular person, instead of speaking in clichéd buzzword bullsh*t.

That is Farage. He has been telling the truth for years.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I suspect they won't. In fact, if anything, I suspect Caroline Lucas will increase her majority.

Out of interest, do you live in her constituency?

I thought he was referring to the council. If so, then I agree with [MENTION=12643]The Birdman[/MENTION] - I think they will get hammered in the next local elections and rightly so. The Greens have been nothing short of a shambles. However, like you, I hope that Lucas retains her seat regardless of the local party or her political views. As others have said, she's been a fantastic local MP - and yes, I live in her constituency.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Problem is, Duncan isn't the only idiot in the Green ranks - Kitcat, Hawtree, Ms Kitcat ( apparently we're inbreds ), Bowden, Davey, Deane, MacCafferty - all have made absolutely stupid comments over the lifetime of this council. Either directly via twitter / social media or during council debates. None, IMO, electable.

What have Davey and Bowden said that would qualify as an 'absolutely stupid comment'? Not so sure that Deane or either of the Kitcats are prone to idiocy either.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I suspect they won't. In fact, if anything, I suspect Caroline Lucas will increase her majority.

Out of interest, do you live in her constituency?

Think you're right about Lucas, but the Greens will lose a lot of their councillors, probably half of them. Labour will probably come out on top in the locals, but they may need to form a coalition, and the question is will they do so with the Greens?

D

Deleted member 22389

I suppose if Labour get in they will make it illegal to critise immigration like they are doing in Sweden. Don't believe me, look online.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Public School - University - MP's bag carrier - Special Adviser - MP - Junior Minister - Cabinet Minister

How can anyone of either party have a clue about ordinary peoples lives ?

I don't think you're ordinary ENREST x

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And had the tories been in power in 2008 then the roles would have been reversed. It was a global recession.

In which case it's one hell of a coincidence how Labour always manage to leave government with the country in economic dire straits.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In which case it's one hell of a coincidence how Labour always manage to leave government with the country in economic dire straits.

Do most governments not leave under some sort of cloud whether economic or otherwise? Otherwise they get re-elected….:shrug:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
UKIP holds the aces

Not they don't.

They mobilised a vote for a European election which the vast majority of the UK populus (35% turnout) doesn't care about at all.

They currently don't have a seat in Westminster and even the most wildly optimisitic commentator isn't predicting anything in double figures. Personally I think Mr. Farage amy win a seat himself, perhaps the deputy leader Nutall but that'll be about it. 5 seats maximum - makes them about as important as Plaid Cymru and less important than the SNP, should th SNP still be contesting Westminster elections by then.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I thought he was referring to the council. If so, then I agree with [MENTION=12643]The Birdman[/MENTION] - I think they will get hammered in the next local elections and rightly so. The Greens have been nothing short of a shambles. However, like you, I hope that Lucas retains her seat regardless of the local party or her political views. As others have said, she's been a fantastic local MP - and yes, I live in her constituency.

I thought the same but it appeared to me that this thread was about national politics/ Westminster.

I suspect you are right about the local elections, though it hasn't been all bad. There's been alot of major infrasrututre work completed under this council that was previoously debated for aeons (Brighton Station, 7 Dials, The Level, Open Market etc....) but never got anywhere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do most governments not leave under some sort of cloud whether economic or otherwise? Otherwise they get re-elected….:shrug:

The economy was in a reasonable state in 1997 when Blair took over. This is my point.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought the same but it appeared to me that this thread was about national politics/ Westminster.

I suspect you are right about the local elections, though it hasn't been all bad. There's been alot of major infrasrututre work completed under this council that was previoously debated for aeons (Brighton Station, 7 Dials, The Level, Open Market etc....) but never got anywhere.

Was Lewes Road a deliberate exclusion ? :lolol:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Surely peoples memories are not that short that they would vote Labour again. I think they will ruin this country they almost succeeded last time.

Or maybe peoples memories are long enough to remember;

- Openly homophobic legislation in our schools
- Institutionalised racism in the Met
- Black Monday
- Poll Tax Riots
- John Major
- The miners strike
- Irish terrorism

The fact that the Tories haven't repealed all the legislation that the last Government brought in surrounding equality. Does this mean Labour got it right? If so why did the Tories spend 18 years denying rights to homosexuals, females, ethnic minorities etc...?

- Labour's record on the economy isn't great.
- The Tories record on social cohesion and equality is scandalous. Are you seriously asking me to support a party that until very recently still thought homosexuality was wrong?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here