Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have hated myself too. Every bowl I bowled was out as far as I was concerned...as [MENTION=717]Hans Kraay[/MENTION] would testify lol
As an opening bowler, I’d have ****ing hated you umpiring me then! A little prod forward and you would have turned my appeal down, I’d have been fuming :laugh:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would have hated myself too. Every bowl I bowled was out as far as I was concerned...as [MENTION=717]Hans Kraay[/MENTION] would testify lol

I preferred batting to bowling, around 4 or 5 but I tended to end up joint open bowler and I always felt a bit crap and it wasn't my bag. I did once get given out to the most minuscule of minuscule edges off my bat once and didn't walk, I was ashamed of myself. I did walk eventually.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Apart from Stokes on his knees at the end the next best image of the day...

375d016cab8b7547e334003210d2a03d.jpg

It's been doing the social media rounds today as well.

stokes.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BBC Sport reporting Stokes saying that if we do not win The Ashes his efforts will be forgotten and become insignificant as it will always be said good effort BUT we lost The Ashes.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
BBC Sport reporting Stokes saying that if we do not win The Ashes his efforts will be forgotten and become insignificant as it will always be said good effort BUT we lost The Ashes.

You'd LOVE it if we lost The Ashes. Nothing seems to make you happier than having a good old moan about the England cricket team.

I'm still basking in the glory of yesterday.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's called 'focus' BG. Concentrating on the next game, and geeing his teammates. He, and we, will never forget it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Think I might need some therapy, can’t stop watching replays. What an absolutely monumental day it was, incredible.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

If Australia retain the Ashes from here, Stoke’s monumental performance would be part of a riveting Ashes Series.

I’m going to miss the whole Oval Test. Doubt it will be on in the Transylvanian Forests.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think I might need some therapy, can’t stop watching replays. What an absolutely monumental day it was, incredible.

LOL...............had the same discussion at home yesterday. Junior's G/F asked him 'why are you watching that AGAIN ? You've already seen it about 10 times.............'........so he asks me to settle a discussion and how many times have I watched it...........

...............'dunno, at least 10'

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That crowd roar on the winning hit though :bowdown:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Of course HE is saying that. He is a professional sportsman and it is his job to think about the next game and get into a mindset to win.
Everyone else (except you?) know it's not true. That innings won't be forgotten for a very long time. I am not a huge cricket fan, but I loved it. And won't forget it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have a question and here seems as good a place as any to offer an answer (I'll be honest, I'm too lazy to search for it – and don't really know how to word it, as you'll see below).

The difference between England's first and second innings was 295 runs. What is the record difference in the number of runs between innings (with the second innings being higher than the first innings) to win a test match when batting last? We all know about run chases and big scores from the opposition, but England's MASSIVE difference in the totals was what made me think about it...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a question and here seems as good a place as any to offer an answer (I'll be honest, I'm too lazy to search for it – and don't really know how to word it, as you'll see below).

The difference between England's first and second innings was 295 runs. What is the record difference in the number of runs between innings (with the second innings being higher than the first innings) to win a test match when batting last? We all know about run chases and big scores from the opposition, but England's MASSIVE difference in the totals was what made me think about it...

Doesn't include the results, but biggest differences :

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283985.html

I did hear on TMS that this was the lowest first innings total by England in a winning game for 130-odd years (only one lower, ever)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I had the tellybox on the Sky Ashes all day, couldn't be bothered with football. Ms SN asked me how we were doing :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course HE is saying that. He is a professional sportsman and it is his job to think about the next game and get into a mindset to win.
Everyone else (except you?) know it's not true. That innings won't be forgotten for a very long time. I am not a huge cricket fan, but I loved it. And won't forget it.

Stokes didn't celebrate his 50 or 100 at all.........not a flicker. Absolutely 100% focused on the job, and now the same on the next game.

This innings will be remembered way past the time most of us on here have shuffled off. Every time England have a big 4th innings chase for example...................82 year old Alastair Cook in the commentary box saying 'ah yes, but miracles do happen, remember Stokes' amazing knock at Headingly in 2019.................' etc

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

He's wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stokes didn't celebrate his 50 or 100 at all.........not a flicker. Absolutely 100% focused on the job, and now the same on the next game.

Loved that. That was the one thing that made me think he might actually do it, seeing that level of focus.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Loved that. That was the one thing that made me think he might actually do it, seeing that level of focus.

Quite remarkable....thought he might have allowed himself at least a little acknowledgment to the crowd (Ashes 100 after all), but absolutely nothing. Also loved a few of the slow-mo replays - eg when he only just cleared the fielder at long on for one of the sixes.....he watched the ball intently all the way.......then just bowed his head as he realised it had carried...can just imagine his saying 'thank **** for that' under his breath..........

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The match that comes to mind is in Durban during the series we won against South Africa in 2004/05.

We were bowled out cheaply and South Africa took a lead nearly 200.

I tuned in the following afternoon to find Trescothick and Strauss batting and I assumed there had been a rain interruption. I was wrong. They put on not far off 300 and after a mini collapse England continued to make hay (Thorpe ton) and eventually won the match.

Possibly Thorpe's last major series for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here