Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson, the new UK Prime Minister

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm no Johnson fan, quite the opposite but how else do you get a deal out of the EU? Taking no deal off the table as magic grandad wants to do is the equivalent of playing a 7-2 open handed at Texas Holdem. The only way we can get some sort of movement is by everyone believing no deal is a serious option and on the table. Given that he has the reputation for being a clown it also gives it some sort of plausibility.

It might not work - and it might not even be the plan - but to me it is the best shit sandwich that is currently on the table waiting to be eaten.

Good post.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm no Johnson fan, quite the opposite but how else do you get a deal out of the EU? Taking no deal off the table as magic grandad wants to do is the equivalent of playing a 7-2 open handed at Texas Holdem. The only way we can get some sort of movement is by everyone believing no deal is a serious option and on the table. Given that he has the reputation for being a clown it also gives it some sort of plausibility.

It might not work - and it might not even be the plan - but to me it is the best shit sandwich that is currently on the table waiting to be eaten.

I take your point, but Johnson is a truly odious individual who's only ambition is for himself. This is all one big game to him, he's loving it, loving being the centre of attention again, and he won't give a flying fvck at a rolling donut who or how many lives he flushes down the toilet in pursuit of his own ambitions. Whatever happens with brexit, him and his fellow Eaton toffs will be fully insulated from the fallout, so what does he care anyway. He just wants to smile cheerily in your face while he rams a pool cue up your arse.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The poem is not available to view on The Spectator's website.

Some of those who have been sharing the quotations online have labelled them as being direct from the pen of the Tory leadership frontrunner ... which isn't quite right. But he certainly approved them.

I don't disagree with anything you have said there, I'm just instantly suspicious when a quote appears next to a piccy of someone whether it's a footballer or politician. 99 times out of 100 it's at best misleading or at worst made up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't disagree with anything you have said there, I'm just instantly suspicious when a quote appears next to a piccy of someone whether it's a footballer or politician. 99 times out of 100 it's at best misleading or at worst made up.

The-problem-with-quotes-on-the-Internet-is-that-it-is-hard-to-verify-their-authenticity.-Abraham-Lincoln.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I agree, but as the article said he certainly approved of the sentiment as expressed in the poem.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I take your point, but Johnson is a truly odious individual who's only ambition is for himself. This is all one big game to him, he's loving it, loving being the centre of attention again, and he won't give a flying fvck at a rolling donut who or how many lives he flushes down the toilet in pursuit of his own ambitions. Whatever happens with brexit, him and his fellow Eaton toffs will be fully insulated from the fallout, so what does he care anyway. He just wants to smile cheerily in your face while he rams a pool cue up your arse.

You obviously think far more highly of him than I do.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Lets see what you think of him after he wilfully drags us over a cliff with no deal, the economy tanks, and we plunge headlong into a long, deep recession. I'm not sure his "lovable buffoon" persona will come across as quite so likeable after that.

The trouble is, like all Tory politicians, he can just retire to his estate while the rest of us losers will have to deal with the shambles left behind.
And he doesn’t have to be held accountable at all.
The system’s absolutely corrupt

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Thank you for your reply. Yes, there is certainly debate on these issues. Dr Holmes actually advocates against the smart border approach so his work certain tallies with the weight of Sussex Uni work on the subject. I included the link to his article for balance. The other two articles are the ones advocating a smart technology approach.I think the solution is consensus on the weighting of physical checks (at source perhaps rather than at the border) and smart technology. Sure it is something new but it’s first use has to be somewhere as it may be the future for border technology around the world.
Your points in italics are certainly issues that need to be resolved. I think that Blockchain is one such solution to the paperwork checking/documentation requirement. It could also reduce the need for physical checks as it reduces customs duplication and provides verifiable records of the transported goods for every participant in the chain, regardless of their location. Food exports will certainly need some more thought and original ideas as these have a different threshold of checking. I don’t have the answer but that doesn’t mean it cannot be resolved.

That’s absolutely wonderful - but there will be a shambles on 31 October 2019. The imbeciles in charge have never had to deal with making real practical decisions, so just hazarding a guess here, any practical system will not be ready in time. 2022 maybe

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

You won't find me sticking up for Johnson, someone who'd crack on to your wife within 5 minutes of meeting her and who'd shop his granny if it meant he'd get on in life. If our strategy is one big bluff though, who better to play it? The position we are in is dire but I don't see another way he can play it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You won't find me sticking up for Johnson, someone who'd crack on to your wife within 5 minutes of meeting her and who'd shop his granny if it meant he'd get on in life. If our strategy is one big bluff though, who better to play it? The position we are in is dire but I don't see another way he can play it.

You go to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
:wink:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The trouble is, like all Tory politicians, he can just retire to his estate while the rest of us losers will have to deal with the shambles left behind.
And he doesn’t have to be held accountable at all.
The system’s absolutely corrupt

I can certainly see why you see yourself (and presumably as others see you ) as a loser, when you write such unsubstantiated exaggerated nonsense. Just to put some fact into the equation - very close to me is a Tory Councillor - his humble abode is a three-bed semi and I estimate the garden to be about 60 foot.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ironic that, that poisonous little Scottish **** suggests taking Britain to a no deal Brexit is dangerous yet her ****ing ****wits in THP voted against every deal that May put it front of them , wankers.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ironic that, that poisonous little Scottish **** suggests taking Britain to a no deal Brexit is dangerous yet her ****ing ****wits in THP voted against every deal that May put it front of them , wankers.

So she wants to do what she thinks is best for her country and she is a "poisonous little Scottish ****" but Boris, Nigel et al are doing the same thing, are they also poisonous little ****s too?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

So did the majority of The Commons including many Tories, including Johnson. England voted leave, Scotland voted remain.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I can certainly see why you see yourself (and presumably as others see you ) as a loser, when you write such unsubstantiated exaggerated nonsense. Just to put some fact into the equation - very close to me is a Tory Councillor - his humble abode is a three-bed semi and I estimate the garden to be about 60 foot.

I do apologise entirely for my mistake sir, I doff my cap to your neighbour - but I bet the ERG chaps don’t live in semis and loonies like Nadine Dorries will have her mansion to go back to.
Of course a few Local Tory councillors won’t have estates but I know a few who do. Conservative politicians humble, wow

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That’s absolutely wonderful - but there will be a shambles on 31 October 2019. The imbeciles in charge have never had to deal with making real practical decisions, so just hazarding a guess here, any practical system will not be ready in time. 2022 maybe

Perhaps your three year turnaround is correct. Makes you wonder though why that turnaround didn’t happen in 2016. Perhaps our ‘Brexit means Brexit’ PM wasn’t really telling us the truth ? The whole thing has been a con and we find ourselves with another May inspired artificial deadline that won’t be kept. The Tories never wanted us to leave the EU. Why would they ? They have been the driving force behind our membership since day 1.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I do apologise entirely for my mistake sir - but I bet the ERG chaps don’t live in semis and loonies like Nadine Dorries will have her mansion to go back to. Of course a few Local Tory councillors wont have estates

Some even have moats, they get them cleaned by fiddling their expenses.
He knew exactly what you meant and he knows you are right but you won't get blood out of a stone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here