Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Indeed. Brown on the other hand signed the Lisbon Treaty despite promising us a referendum on it and lying. I say signed, he actually was such a coward he left it to David Milliband to do. A traitor, a liar and a coward was Brown.

I dug out this 'timeline, covering the period. It might well show that Brown was 'a traitor' but it probably better illustrates the long term problematic relationship that both the parties (and indeed the country) have had with the EU in general and Lisbon in particular. The technicality is whether the Lisbon Treaty was not the same as the proposed 'Constitutional Treaty' on which all the major parties proposed a referendum in their 2005 manifestos.
But we can all agree that much water has flowed under the bridge since then and that you guys got your referendum in the end. So all's well that ends well, treachery notwithstanding.

2004: Labour Prime Minister Tony Blair says a referendum will be held on ratification of the European Constitution Treaty but does not name a date for the poll
2005: Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats all promise a referendum on whether to ratify the EU Constitution in their general election manifestos. France and the Netherlands reject the proposal in referendums
2006: The cross-party Better Off Out Group, seeking the UK's withdrawal from the EU, is launched
2007: The European Commission proposes a replacement treaty, which comes to be known as the Lisbon Treaty. The Labour government says it is a different document, amending not overwriting existing treaties, and a referendum is not needed. Conservative leader David Cameron gives a "cast-iron guarantee" to hold a referendum on any treaty emerging from the Lisbon process if he becomes PM
2008: Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg calls for an "in-out" referendum on UK membership of the EU. MPs reject a Conservative call for a referendum on whether the Lisbon Treaty should be ratified by 63 votes. 15 Labour MPs and 14 Lib Dems rebel against their parties
2008: The UK ratifies the Lisbon Treaty. The High Court rejects calls for a judicial review of the decision by Tory MP Bill Cash and businessman Stuart Wheeler. They claim ratification without a referendum was illegal
2009: David Cameron admits he will not be able to fulfil his pledge to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty because it has been ratified by all EU member states. But he says, if elected, no future substantial transfer of powers will take place without the approval of the British people. The UK Independence Party, which puts an in/out referendum on UK membership of the EU at the heart of its programme, comes second in the European Parliament elections, with 16% of votes.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Definition of "traitor" (1943) - Aiding and abetting a hostile foreign power which is undertaking mass slaughter on an industrial scale with a view to them doing similar here.

Definition of "traitor" (2018) - Doesn't want to destroy the UK economy on the whim of a tiny majority of people who bothered to vote in something nearly 2 years ago.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have never said the U.K. won’t have access to new drugs.

And the EU and the U.K. don’t necessary need to strike any deal whatsoever over medicine approval; it’s not a trade deal...more a simple pooling of resources and operations which is at stake. The worst case doesn’t mean anything will stop....just that the EU and the U.K. will operate separately. In my opinion there’s no significant incentive for the EU to strike a deal. If anyone thinks there is I’d like to hear why.

That said, the worst case of no deal and the EMA will lose however many of their 4500 decentralised experts are U.K. citizens. The MHRA will lose access to however many of the 4500 are non-UK. But, what you will also find with this worse case scenario is that as all major companies focus on the EU and the US first British approvals could take longer. EU and US are the two biggest markets and this is where the focus is for business. Secondary markets, eg Japan and Canada , are later. And this is where getting-drugs-later angle comes from. You mention Britain being the 5th biggest economy. Japan is 3rd yet companies still focus on the much bigger markets, ie EU and US, and application and subsequent approval, in these markets typically comes first. I think it is fair to draw a market comparison with Japan and Japanese applications are typically later than EU and US.

Now. You may think I’m a number of things but I take a lot of pride in the work I do, and I’m very professional at it, I’m sincere with my posts on this matter. I’m not scare mongering and I always try to give reasons why I believe what I write. You can chose to disagree but I’d like you, or anyone for that matter, to give some reasons why.

I will leave this with you and [MENTION=293]chip[/MENTION] to discuss ...............................

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I always have to laugh when this sort of crap turns up ! a traitor, how funny is this ? did he flog our secrets to the Russians ? did he steal the Crown Jewels ? get a life quick before you rupture an Aorta or similar. jeez.

Traitor is the latest Daily Mail insult to fling out to anyone who questions their head banging ways

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The EU has thrown down an ultimatum to Theresa May in Brexit talks, warning that it will not open discussions about trade or other issues until the Irish border question is solved.

Speaking in Dublin alongside the Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, European Council President Donald Tusk said talks would be a case of “Ireland first” and that “the risk of destabilising the fragile peace process must be avoided at all costs”.

“We know today that the UK Government rejects a customs and regulatory border down the Irish Sea, the EU single market, and the customs union,” the Mr Tusk said.

Still no real solution from the Brexiteers on this board I see

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
See you in court as there is no way a no deal would get through parliament

No deal is one for the Brexdreamists

Going on WTO rules would be a tip of the iceberg in terms in the chaos we would face

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The eurosheep are bleating their usual anti-British bile in great quantity this week.Must be trying to distract attention from the Italian election results!Spanish tv showed Labour up for not being able to spell the founder of their party's name properly at their conference-great amusement!Must have been the same moron who graffitied COR BIN all over Brum.:lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here