Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham United *** Official Match Thread ***

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Finding it very difficult to have any reason to why we have VAR in football.

To minimize the potential impact of bent refs and keep the gamblers happy. The Spectre of match fixing hovers over the game. Have you noticed how pervasive the gambling industry's influence is in the sport? It's the elephant in the room.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
VAR is shit. **** VAR.

Looks decent but dont think Potter is 100% pleased, I wouldnt be surprised to see a half time sub and some tactical changes.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
This is miles better football than last season. Dan Burn is great.

Looked a bit awkward in possession to start with, but he came into it. Rock solid in the challenge too.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I also dislike the way commentators keep saying we 'benefited' from VAR last week in that the penalty (Murray) wasn't given against us. Completely ignoring the fact that the ref didn't give it anyway - so we got no 'benefit' from VAR at all, as if VAR didn't exist, the outcome would have been exactly the same.

The fact most of us hate it, the Bundesliga hated it last season will make no odds, we will have to deal with it. So glad I'm not there today, I'd have been with everyone else up and cheering, Matty doing the distance to celebrate, and it gets chalked off two minutes later with 1 minute extra time being given after the 45. Absolute bollocks. Will Matty bother any more? Will we?

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Gutted about the 'goal', but it was offside. That said, it was so marginal that it certainly would have stood without VAR. No West Ham players seemed to protest the goal at all, and not flagged by the lino.
I like the concept of VAR, but it needs to be better utilised, I feel, maybe in the way that challenges are used in tennis, only so many per half.
Whatever, there must be a better way.
That said, still encouraged by our play, although seem less energised than last week. Still predict a win for us, though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To minimize the potential impact of bent refs and keep the gamblers happy. The Spectre of match fixing hovers over the game. Have you noticed how pervasive the gambling industry's influence is in the sport? It's the elephant in the room.

If I thought that for one minute I'd stick a like to your post, but to be honest, that's bollocks.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If the lino's weren't so s**t we wouldn't need VAR.
But imagine it the other way around and we went one down to an offside goal. (As has been the case in the past.) Offside is offside. Shame for Trossard mind, as he lashed that bad boy home!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Does anyone know what occured with the handball. Looked deliberate to me even though the arms were behind the back

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Those seriously moaning about VAR getting a decision correct will be praising it at a later date.

The point is it ruins football as a live experience. Something pundits don't understand. But then whoever gave a toss about the fans who actually pay to go and watch matches?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Gutted about the 'goal', but it was offside. That said, it was so marginal that it certainly would have stood without VAR. No West Ham players seemed to protest the goal at all, and not flagged by the lino.
I like the concept of VAR, but it needs to be better utilised, I feel, maybe in the way that challenges are used in tennis, only so many per half.
That said, still encouraged by our play, although seem less energised than last week. Still predict a win for us, though.

What difference would challenges make? Say you get one per half, what are the chances of the oppo scoring more than once per half? Very small percentage I'm sure. So you just challenge a goal, simple, same outcome. I have a better idea, get VAR the f**k out of our game.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The point is it ruins football as a live experience. Something pundits don't understand. But then whoever gave a toss about the fans who actually pay to go and watch matches?

Disagree. As a fan, at the ground right now, I want the correct decisions made. I’m sure VAR will rule at an opposing goal later in the season, and I’ll cheer that just like the West Ham fans did today.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Offside is the main issue. I think it has to be clear and obvious, if it's marginal go with the official's decision. The old rule used to be to give the benefit to the attacker. That's how it should be.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Disagree. As a fan, at the ground right now, I want the correct decisions made. I’m sure VAR will rule at an opposing goal later in the season, and I’ll cheer that just like the West Ham fans did today.
I'd also be glad and cheer but that doesn't change the fact var is spoiling football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here