Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Another exciting season kicks off in Scotland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yet somehow your narrative is EVEN more boring. This is how the third best Scottish team fared against some Welsh bus drivers and bin men a couple of weeks ago in European competition:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48970490

And it's nothing new is it. Look beyond the OF and they are all absolutely shit. Look at the recent European records of everyone else - remember, these are the best Scottish teams outside the old firm, and in these years I am not missing ANY teams:

2018/19: Hibsand Aberdeen both out of Europe before the end of August. Hibs didn't even get out of the qualifying rounds.
2017/18: St Johnstone spanked in the first qualifying round against a team from Lithuania, Aberdeen out before end of August by a team from Cyprus
2016/17: Aberdeen out before end of August by a team from Slovenia, Hearts out before end of August by a team from MALTA FFS, Hibs out in July but at least to a team you've heard of (Brondby, Denmark)
2015/16: Aberdeen out before mid August by a team from Khazakstan :lolol:, Cally Thistle and St Johnstone out before mid July by a team from Romania and one from Armenia. :lolol:

Four straight years, four complete failures. So how on earth you can get pissy with people describing that crap league as dogshit, league 2 at best and so on is beyond me. It's a fact. It is an absolutely shit league, dominated by one club for the past decade, and two clubs for past 15 decades (except a handful of years).

And this misses the point. People lampoon the dreadful MTL (that's monkey tennis league to you because that's what it is - see the evidence posted above) because league one and league two is relegated to back pages where the Scottish Premier league results are always prioritised straight after the Premier league when in truth it belongs nowhere near the Premier League or even the Championship.

Back in the days when Scotland produced quality world class players, there was a case to be made for giving the Scottish league higher priority, but Scotland doesn't produce world class players these days and its league is made up of players looking for a pay day who can't quite cut it in the big leagues now at the OF clubs, fairly ordinary Scandinavians playing at Scottish mid sized clubs, and some old-timer plodders, often in their late 30s (Gary Dicker types) playing at the dregs.

Just because you're all sensitive about Scottish football doesn't mean the jokes at their expense aren't justified. It is an absolutely crap league, ruined by Rangers and Celtic who rely on sectarianism to maintain their status.

Completely agree with your assessment, but question your decision to only look at the European results of the 'other' sides, thus missing out Ranger's recent exit to the hands of LUXEMBOURG's third-best noddy outfit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Completely agree with your assessment, but question your decision to only look at the European results of the 'other' sides, thus missing out Ranger's recent exit to the hands of LUXEMBOURG's third-best noddy outfit.
How dare you point out that ALL of Celtic's compeititors are absolutely shit, rather than all but one.

I'm sure [MENTION=2654]ATFC Seagull[/MENTION] will give us good reason to point out just why we're all completely WRONG and that it is all ignorance on our part. :rolleyes:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yet somehow your narrative is EVEN more boring. This is how the third best Scottish team fared against some Welsh bus drivers and bin men a couple of weeks ago in European competition:

And it's nothing new is it. Look beyond the OF and they are all absolutely shit. Look at the recent European records of everyone else - remember, these are the best Scottish teams outside the old firm, and in these years I am not missing ANY teams:

2018/19: Hibsand Aberdeen both out of Europe before the end of August. Hibs didn't even get out of the qualifying rounds.
2017/18: St Johnstone spanked in the first qualifying round against a team from Lithuania, Aberdeen out before end of August by a team from Cyprus
2016/17: Aberdeen out before end of August by a team from Slovenia, Hearts out before end of August by a team from MALTA FFS, Hibs out in July but at least to a team you've heard of (Brondby, Denmark)
2015/16: Aberdeen out before mid August by a team from Khazakstan :lolol:, Cally Thistle and St Johnstone out before mid July by a team from Romania and one from Armenia. :lolol:

Four straight years, four complete failures. So how on earth you can get pissy with people describing that crap league as dogshit, league 2 at best and so on is beyond me. It's a fact. It is an absolutely shit league, dominated by one club for the past decade, and two clubs for past 15 decades (except a handful of years).

And this misses the point. People lampoon the dreadful MTL (that's monkey tennis league to you because that's what it is - see the evidence posted above) because league one and league two is relegated to back pages where the Scottish Premier league results are always prioritised straight after the Premier league when in truth it belongs nowhere near the Premier League or even the Championship.

Back in the days when Scotland produced quality world class players, there was a case to be made for giving the Scottish league higher priority, but Scotland doesn't produce world class players these days and its league is made up of players looking for a pay day who can't quite cut it in the big leagues now at the OF clubs, fairly ordinary Scandinavians playing at Scottish mid sized clubs, and some old-timer plodders, often in their late 30s (Gary Dicker types) playing at the dregs.

Just because you're all sensitive about Scottish football doesn't mean the jokes at their expense aren't justified. It is an absolutely crap league, ruined by Rangers and Celtic who rely on sectarianism to maintain their status.

Let's be honest, the qualifying record for English clubs for the Europa League is hardly outstanding:

2018-19 Burnley (Olympiacos - admittedly big club, that)
2016-17 West Ham (Astra Giurgu)
2015-16 West Ham (Astra Giurgu) and Southampton (FC Midtjylland)
2014-15 Hull (Lokeren)

All failed to qualify for the group stages. I don't think European qualifiers are a great measure of a league's strength, as you usually have to play during your pre-season against some Scandinavian and Eastern European sides who are in the full swing of their season. Obviously those results aren't as shambolic as some of the Scottish ones.

As a league as a whole, it is not as good as the Premier League or Championship without a doubt. But it's the national league of a constituent part of this country, so of course it's going to get a decent level of coverage by national media. It also has 2 clubs whose support base is as large as any in England, and 2-3 more (Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen) whose support base would comfortably sit among averages in the Premier League. So it's newsworthy. The standard of football is irrelevant to that.

I just don't buy the "I'm reacting to it being thrown in my face argument". It's just sneering. Live and let live.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
How dare you point out that ALL of Celtic's compeititors are absolutely shit, rather than all but one.

I'm sure [MENTION=2654]ATFC Seagull[/MENTION] will give us good reason to point out just why we're all completely WRONG and that it is all ignorance on our part. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's ignorance - Scottish football is at a very low ebb. I do think that the general standard is significantly better than many on here will attest, but that's by and by and a matter of opinion.

My issue is very much the constant belittling of it on here when it is a complete irrelevancy, rather than just accepting that we are very lucky to support a club in a pyramid system in a large country (population-wise) and with a huge amount of money (which affects the development of young English players as well as bringing in the world's top talent), and accepting that Scottish supporters (Celtic, Rangers or otherwise) can still enjoy their football and passionately support their teams, and that their competitions still mean something to them.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
One of the biggest problems in recent Scottish football history was that Celtic were handed the title for 5 years in a row and actually didn't need to spend any money to win it after their only competitor, Rangers, got dumped to the bottom of the league. This lead to the loss of a champions league place due to the two teams being involved not being Rangers and Celtic so their league rating and co-efficient went down. Then it went even lower with the crap showing of the teams in the Europa League which then placed Celtic in the qualifiers for the Champions League where they hardly set the tournament alight with some of the results (Gibraltar Red Imps springs to mind).

Rangers should have been punished with something like a 20 point deduction for 3 seasons which would have meant that they could not win the league but would have had to remain a competitive squad to gain the second spot and Champions League football, then once the penalty was over they would instantly have been a competitive team to give Celtic a run for their money rather than what is being seen now. Jeff Wood could be manager of Celtic and they would still win the league

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

You left out the biggest LOL - Granted one of the big two....

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rangers-europa-league-qualifying-match-report

Edit - sadly beaten by HK

... there are many many ex players from that league playing regularly in the English Premier League and insist that it is League 2 standard throughout.
But the point you make there is the very reason the league is so poor. There is so much money in English football in comparison that a regular Aberdeen first teamer (Rooney), actually moved to English non-league football for higher wages. OK that's an extreme case (due to Salford's extravagance) but less notable examples have been draining Scotland of talent for years. This isn't is the sole reason of course, because the state of the national team shows that there is simply less talent in Scotland than there used to be. I've no idea what the reason for this might be.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
But the point you make there is the very reason the league is so poor. There is so much money in English football in comparison that a regular Aberdeen first teamer (Rooney), actually moved to English non-league football for higher wages. OK that's an extreme case (due to Salford's extravagance) but less notable examples have been draining Scotland of talent for years. This isn't is the sole reason of course, because the state of the national team shows that there is simply less talent in Scotland than there used to be. I've no idea what the reason for this might be.

I think it's the same problem - money. It's the same reason that the majority of young players in England are coming through top academies, with all the related frills and expenses, rather than through a wide range of local clubs throughout the divisions.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Really looking forward to this seasons most exciting league in the world. Who will win? It's just to close to call between at least 14 teams... oh. Personally I'm going for Elgin City (which isn't a city as such), they look hot. Oh, hang on. Berwick, yes, Berwick from England bringing the cup home to England.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Really looking forward to this seasons most exciting league in the world. Who will win? It's just to close to call between at least 14 teams... oh. Personally I'm going for Elgin City (which isn't a city as such), they look hot. Oh, hang on. Berwick, yes, Berwick from England bringing the cup home to England.

You're not very intelligent are you?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
always follow football north of the border

shall be watching Partick-Dundee Utd Friday night on BBC Scotland

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Judging by Celtic's exit in the Champions League tonight and the financial blow, Rangers may run them quite close this season, and I am not a fan of that club.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Went to Berwick Rangers last week - friendly club, sadly now in the Lowland League.

Nice to watch real football again without all the Premier League crap.

Only two teams in the League race in Scotland. Bit like England isn’t it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here