Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex vs Northants County Championship Division Two at Hove

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
What has Wright said? Dizzy has explicitly said it was Wright's decision. Perhaps Wright tried to prepare for red ball cricket but decided the body wasn't up to it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nope.

From the Argus ....Wright said: “I worked hard on my red-ball cricket over the winter, but once it became clear that I was going to have a lesser role in the four-day team, it made sense for me to commit my long-term future to the white-ball game only.”

In other words , he was pushed.

To be fair, it’s not as if Wright’s form has been good in red ball in recent years, but he definitely should have been given a chance at the start of the season.
And if he wasn’t in red ball plans, the club should have let him know last October. Shoddy way
To treat a club legend

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Wright said he chose to retire after being made aware he was not in the first team plans.
He didn’t say it was related to fitness concerns
Interesting, Dizzy saying it was Wright's decision and Wright saying he told he wouldn't play so then called time. Perhaps this may have lead to disharmony in the camp?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Its been a problem for ages now the batting is total gash ,nobody seams to be able to build a innings in the top 5 and rely on brown and weise to get them out of the doo doo ,another bowler as head coach wonder if thats a factor.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its been a problem for ages now the batting is total gash ,nobody seams to be able to build a innings in the top 5 and rely on brown and weise to get them out of the doo doo ,another bowler as head coach wonder if thats a factor.

When we last had a batsman as head coach (Haynes) we were pretty poor. Under Robbo, a bowler, we won the CC, so I'm not sure that's a factor.

What is a factor is that we're at least one decent batsman short and we've seemingly made no attempt to sign one

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just walked in, and Robinson strikes, the comeback starts here. Having a South Brew Co. Kiss The Sun DDH IPA 6.2% to celebrate, #MondatNightDrinking
South Brew Co. Kiss The Sun DDH IPA 6.2% ..................

Sounds interesting. Where can you buy them?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
This isn’t a Sussex problem. Batting is poor nation wide. Before this current round of fixtures, only ONE team in the division had more batting bonus points. Of the 5 players to score at least 600 runs in the division, Sussex have 2. I’d like to see how you lot would react as a supporter for the other counties!

What needs to be questioned is the mentality after another collapse to a ‘lesser’ side. Fewer than 30 singles in the whole innings indicates a terrible batting wicket or arrogance to play too many shots. Northants have shown how to bat on this wicket.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Fair point Gwylan but he had a great top 5 and mushy think we could of won something with that side back then ,why are we wasting money season after season on mills when he hardly plays 20/20 never mind white and red ball ,when his salary could bring in a batter .

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Fair point Gwylan but he had a great top 5 and mushy think we could of won something with that side back then ,why are we wasting money season after season on mills when he hardly plays 20/20 never mind white and red ball ,when his salary could bring in a batter .

Mills is a phenomenal 20/20 cricketer. That’s where the money is in our County game. The revenue generated by 20/20 (with Mills an integral part of that squad) justifies his salary.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I think I’m right in saying that mills’ contract is structured in such a way that we don’t pay over the odds and are covered for no shows

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Was told that someone got thrown out for barracking today.

To me if they were thrown out that was ridiculous. I was another part of ground and only heard some shouting for 'Grizz in', no swearing or anything offensive I could hear.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
And our bowling's not the problem - we're bowling sides out - but our batters couldn't help themselves in a cafeteria

Not sure you can say that now with Wiesse and Robinson as our main strike bowlers and with Thomason and Sakande as the back-ups??? Neither bottom club Durham or new bottom club Northants have had any trouble with our bowling.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Was told that someone got thrown out for barracking today.

Different standards, no swearing or abuse involved, just fed up with the performance of the team. It started before the game with loud discussions on the poor bowling/tactics involved in getting the last wicket yesterday. They then thought Sussex should be getting 400 and after each wicket the dissent worsened. Shouts to bring Adams and/or Prior back, time for Gillespie to go as seen as failed. Need Rob Andrew to release funds to strengthen the team, and on and on.

Didn't help that Northants are bottom of the league with no wins this season.

I didn't see the ejection but wouldn't be surprised as 4 day games are supposed to be library affairs, and rowdy behaviour should be reserved for 20/20 games

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Times have changed. I remember being there when someone shouted at Geoff Arnold to get on with it only for him to shout back "Up your arse"

No doubt one of the notorious Cow shed crew . Recall one of their number offering advise to Bob Willis regarding bowling short pitch delivery's to Chris Waller . At close of play Mr Willis had the Sussex member pinned up against the rear of the shed offering an apology and retracting any unfounded allegations of bad sportsmanship on the part of the then Warwickshire fast bowler .

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Certainly over in the deckchairs the mood was worsening as the day wore on. Each wicket that fell was greeted by groans and when Evans was dismissed, cries of pathetic, rubbish, Gillespie out could be heard.
We were in the pub when the last couple of wickets fell so missed the reaction to that.
As Northants racked up the first wicket 100 partnership it just became quieter and quieter.
Sanderson six for - is a hugely underrated bowler but batting was dreadful

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wells is an enigma for me, has got the talent as he’s proved over the last few seasons with some wonderful knocks but no consistency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here