Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter move signals Brighton's exciting change of direction

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The things that were 'wrong' with the Albion you could count of the fingers of one hand.

It can't be too often a new manager walks into a club and it isn't a total 'clusterf**k'.
Mr Potter should see himself as very lucky.

Those few deficiencies included a lack of pace and creativity (at PL level). Fairly easily fixed with some key transfers in.

Definitely very lucky, getting a PL appointment with a full summer and preseason to prepare, with in my biased opinion, a good owner.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
"But Brighton have already moved on, securing a target they had clearly identified before Hughton’s sacking was confirmed. Graham Potter, having guided Swansea to 10th in the Championship in his first season at the club, is the Seagulls’ new manager, an appointment which signals a new direction for the club.

Potter, it can safely be said, will not be accused of playing drab and unadventurous football. Over eight years at Östersunds in Sweden, and then at Swansea, the 44-year-old earned a reputation as a coach who priorities possession-based, attacking football."

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2HUDp42

Against Premiership teams, which he has no experience against????

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yes I think it is exciting times with a new coach.....different direction, new ideas, possibly more exciting football but........and it's a BIG BUT....we have gone from a manager with 5 years (or is it more?) of Premier League experience to a manager with 0 years Premier League experience and who will be on the same level playing field as 3 newcomer managers from The Championship. But who knows this may not be a bad thing, it just seems we are throwing away a BIG advantage.We as supporters must embrace the future and still be excited about the change.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The things that were 'wrong' with the Albion you could count of the fingers of one hand.

Indeed:

1. 3 wins out of last 23 PL games;
2. No goal from open play in last 9 PL games of season;
3. W0 D2 L6 against four closest rivals;
4. 14 points in second half of season;
5. fewest touches of any PL team in opposition box.

I could go on to the digits on other hand and both feet but this will do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed:

In fairness to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], aren’t they all the result of the few underlying causes that need fixing?

With loads right with the club, making it an attractive bet for a manager - PL status, PL income, no non-owner debt, great training facilities, great stadium, generous owner who’s also a fan, a large fanbase and a decent PL defence.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I hope any change would include an improvement in the players 1st touch, I find it very frustrating that their 1st touch is often poor and the opposition take advantage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course, but so it goes on. You could say there was only one thing wrong: an inability to score enough goals to win games, but unpick that and you get a myriad of causes.

My personal view, for what it’s worth, as well as a different approach to coaching, we need 3 or 4 better first team players. Admittedly, a cheque book solution.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed:

Points 1 through 4 are a direct result of point 5.

So by my reckoning you still have as many as 4 more 'wrongers' to find, in order to fill one hand.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
My personal view, for what it’s worth, as well as a different approach to coaching, we need 3 or 4 better first team players. Admittedly, a cheque book solution.

Doubt many would disagree with that. IMO the big miss is ACM; three PL goals from CM all season (Kayal, Stephens, Propper one each) is nowhere near enough. Think Propper (who has one goal in 75 League appearances for Brighton compared to 3 in 14 for Netherlands) is one player who might prosper under GP but need another.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
see post #71 - same answer.

But there just wasn't a 'myriad of causes'.

Potter has inherited a side that is defensively solid enough.
Leaving only 2/3rds of the pitch requiring attention.

As you rightly point on the team had the fewest touches of any PL team in opposition box.

Now clearly the very top of the club believe they provided the players which makes that fact a massive issue requiring drastic action.

Therefore what's wrong with the club, either as a whole or condensed down to 11 players on Saturday, can be distilled again down to 2/3rds of the pitch with the emphasis of that only actually being in the final third.

So I stand by my comment that Mr Potter is very lucky to be joining the Albion because he's a new manager:-

Without 'behind the scenes' boardroom unrest.
&
A playing staff believed to be better than the sum of it's parts (obviously that's open to debate, but he wasn't given the job because he said x, y & z are shitehouse and I'll need £120m to replace them).

You can dress up the same fact however many different ways you want, but the bottom line is 'all' Potter needs to do in order to be a very successful manager is get the team, who are capable of playing 30 yards further forward, actually playing 30 yards further forward.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Indeed:

Wrong. We scored from open play against Newcastle at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here