Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's players

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am giving all of our players a clean slate because Potter said that he will coach them to play to their strengths. Our new players are Andone, Bernardo, Bissouma, Ali J, Montoya and Locadia. I would even class Izquierdo, Propper and Gross as new players. Under a different coach with fresh ideas I would expect Improvement all around. A good right back, striker and midfielder is probably the most additions to the squad that we could expect unless Izquierdo isn't reliable, then we may think about getting another winger.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have been following Potter for three years and wont stop now, so Brighton will be new hobby.

Goalkeeper wise, Potter needs someone who is great with his feet. Arguably both ÖFK and Swansea had better shot stoppers available, but he consistently went for the keeper with the best feet. Part of Potters ideology is to play from the back, making the other team create pressure and to use the available spaces in midfield. You need a keeper capable of cooping with pressure from opponents. From what I've heard, you have a great goalie, but not in this sense so it will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

He didnt get to do it in Swansea as we had only two central defenders for the majority of the season, but Potter likes playing with three central defenders against tougher opponents. All of the defenders (though there could be somewhat of an exception with one of the CBs) needs to have the technical/passing skill to play themselves out of pressure. Historically almost every Potter central defender has been above 6'2 in height as it allows you to play a smaller team in general.

Midfield wise Potter in 99% of the games goes for three central players, one attacker, one defensive playmaker and one cleaner, but the balance could change depending on opposition.

For wingers, Potter use quick technical players who can carry the ball. They also need to have the work rate since when Potter teams lose the ball in the opposing half, they want to win it back quickly (and if they fail, fall back). Historically this is the role where Potter has created the most amount of talent. Saman Ghoddos, Ken Sema and Hosam Aiesh in ÖFK, Daniel James and the rebirth of Wayne Routledge in Swansea.

For central forward, Potter usually only uses one (though two does happen), and its always a tall player. Rather than having one that scores a lot of goals, the primary objective of the forward is to create spaces for others. When ÖFK went to the Europa League, they used Alhaji Gero as striker, and he scored just six goals in 56 appearances. McBurnie essentially had the same role in Swansea, often dropping to the midfield or wings in order to create space for wingers and midfielders. However Oli was also great in front of goal. Some Swansea fans dont believe he is PL class, but I beg to differ. Would be a very good signing for Brighton.

Thank you so much for this Swansman. This is really informative, and is in keeping with another lengthy thorough entry from another message board that was re-posted by [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]. I'd be interested to hear your view of the content of that. I'm also interested in your supporting background. Your name suggests that you're a Swansea fan, but the fact that you've been following Potter for three years suggests otherwise.
I'm very excited by the appointment, although there is a big task ahead in an unforgiving league. We went into a shell in the second half of the season so it'll require quite a turnaround, which ultimately put paid to a wonderful period under Hughton. Despite the disquiet over that decision, our chairman is very loyal and astute, and I hope that Potter stays for a while even if we go down. On which, my initial view is that if we survive next season, Potter's relevant ideas will really begin to take hold and we might be able to step a little above our current relegation candidate status. One final question: do you think he'll be able to keep us up next season?

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I would like to see not too much change in the squad personnel, and a lot of change in their performances, I don't think we have bought as badly as many seem to think. I am hoping for a Poyet like transformation to the team, without the massive ego and talk of how wonderful Leeds Utd are.
There will of course need to be a new right back, but Murray is the biggest question mark for me as to whether Potter sees him fitting in, purely on energy level. I am sure two or three players that have been given a hard time on these pages are going to shine next season.

Totally agree, Andone and Locadia will hopefully be played together with wingers and bring through the younger 23’s. Midfield to be based around the energy of Bissouma with others around him.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I am giving all of our players a clean slate because Potter said that he will coach them to play to their strengths. Our new players are Andone, Bernardo, Bissouma, Ali J, Montoya and Locadia. I would even class Izquierdo, Propper and Gross as new players. Under a different coach with fresh ideas I would expect Improvement all around. A good right back, striker and midfielder is probably the most additions to the squad that we could expect unless Izquierdo isn't reliable, then we may think about getting another winger.

Totally agree, a fresh slate and all of the Loan players as well, who we have signed and not been in the squad. Could be an interesting season. Goodbye dull footy and a new identity not based on parking the bus��

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Totally agree, Andone and Locadia will hopefully be played together with wingers and bring through the younger 23’s. Midfield to be based around the energy of Bissouma with others around him.

Doesn't sound like Potter is likely to play two up top. Going to be a real balancing act getting the best out of our existing players.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

I have high hopes for Bissouma but he's still a little raw and his decision making is sometimes poor.

Will be interesting to see if Stephens remains and how or if his game may change under a new coach. He will continue to divide fan opinion.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I have high hopes for Bissouma but he's still a little raw and his decision making is sometimes poor.

Will be interesting to see if Stephens remains and how or if his game may change under a new coach. He will continue to divide fan opinion.

IMHO, as steady as he has been, a DM should be our number one priority.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh, Ales Mateju: I'd forgotten about him

He's been playing in Italy's second division. If that's his level I can't really seeing him pushing for a PL place
It was a loan to buy move with a fee agreed I think.

The argus in fact mentioned a potential fee of £4.4 million !

Not sure if either side can back out of the deal or not.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

As others have said, I am not sure Duffy will be part of the long term plan - technically more limited than others, and looks very exposed one vs one which may be a more regular occurrence if we are to play with players further up the pitch.. I am hoping Dan Burn gets a little more time - looked more comfortable on the ball, good to have a left/right footed combination at CB as well.. With Bernardo and Dunk I think that could be a nice back 3 (if thats what GP wants) - I think Balogun will come on too..

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Totally agree, a fresh slate and all of the Loan players as well, who we have signed and not been in the squad. Could be an interesting season. Goodbye dull footy and a new identity not based on parking the bus��

Potter can have another look at Hemed too, who I think is a very useful energetic player who was also passionate in every game for us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He didnt get to do it in Swansea as we had only two central defenders for the majority of the season, but Potter likes playing with three central defenders against tougher opponents. All of the defenders (though there could be somewhat of an exception with one of the CBs) needs to have the technical/passing skill to play themselves out of pressure. Historically almost every Potter central defender has been above 6'2 in height as it allows you to play a smaller team in general.

Really great info!!! Thanks!!!

Question:

Have you seen Potter lob a full back into his back 3 a (like Southgate with Walker at the World Cup?).

I’m thinking that we could maybe add Bong or Bernardo in? Both are over 6ft by the way.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Question:

Have you seen Potter lob a full back into his back 3 a (like Southgate with Walker at the World Cup?).

I’m thinking that we could maybe add Bong or Bernardo in? Both are over 6ft by the way.

Really think Bernardo would be wasted as a CB (even in a three).

Tecmo

May 18, 2019

Question:

He did move Matt Grimes back into a 3rd centerback role quite often when he wanted to push more players up the pitch. Grimes was usually a midfielder but played left back on occasion

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kayal deffo burn is a solid back up but one of him or balogun will need to go if we want to push an u23 cb through locadia is difficult I want to give him a chance but am willing to cut losses

Sorry was on train.

There are then question marks over:

Montoya
AJ
Murray - surely last season and fewer games
Izquierdo
Balogun

In my mind anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s one thing counter attacking from the half way line with a 4 on 4, our counters would start with 2 players on our own 18yard box and there’d be a line of defenders waiting to greet us.

Erm a counter by definition works better the deeper you are. (Generally).

Line of defenders, not really, normally 2 back on corners.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree about pace, but not just pace, also max fitness levels..... GP likes the press, need supreme fitness levels for it and then the pace to hit on break. If Andone can wind his neck in a tad, he’s going to have a big year imho

Yes. Can’t decide re Andone, lots of things I like about him, but then other days I think he’s a poor mans Ashley Barnes.....

Today, I think he could be okay, tomorrow I’ll probably think there is a question mark....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Monty has Barcelona dna installed in him should flourish under GP

Depends if he learns what an overlap is. Constantly ran inside last season, rather than giving Knockaert an outside option a la Bruno.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here