Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Why isn’t there a straight Pride?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Agree and you prove my point with the attitude, "if you don't like it you can fnck off"... Don't like online bullying, which is very apt this week, sure I won't be missed but maybe I'll take a sojourn until the football starts.

You were describing it as a chorus of snowflakes a couple of posts ago, now its online bullying and you're flouncing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, the chorus was for people calling ME a snowflake, as is the current bantz (sic!)

You obviously missed the word maybe too...:flounce:

For what it's worth you might have a point.
I'm not entirely sure this is the thread to be making it on!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Why straight people don't need ‘Straight Pride’.

Your sexuality isn't criminalised in 72 countries
Your sexuality isn't punishable by death in 8 countries
You've never had to fight for the right to marry
You've never been (legally) fired or evicted for your sexuality

THE END

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"Mark Sahady, the organization's vice president and a member of the right-wing group "Resist Marxism," announced on Facebook May 30 that Boston Straight Pride". Suggests it's typical Alt-right nonsense against equal rights.

I don't know of anyone being beaten up because they're straight, or discriminated against in every day life. If you can't see that, I pity you

Maybe there should be demonstrations against heterosexuals. In other parts of the world folk get executed for having straight sex.

They'll be allowing them to get married soon.

I'm not heterophobic but I don't want my kids being taught that it's normal.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Guardian:

Obviously, those involved with SHFA are engaged in a massive wind-up, although they probably believe that they’re making an astute game-changing point about identity politics and that straight men are oppressed in these politically correct times. I’m sure there are corners of the dark net where such musings would be applauded by gruff, mysteriously single, MAGA baseball cap-wearing men, when they’re not complaining about frigid modern women or researching sarin gas.

In the real world, there’s a good reason why Gay Pride needs to exist and Straight Pride doesn’t. Straight people, especially white straight people, don’t have to stand up for their rights. They’re OK, to the point where they can afford to budge up a bit and give different types of people space to breathe.

Straight men such as those behind Straight Pride are auto-celebrated, auto-protected and auto-privileged every second of every minute of every day of their whingeing, resentful, spiteful lives. Perhaps they should hold a parade about that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree and you prove my point with the attitude, "if you don't like it you can fnck off"... Don't like online bullying, which is very apt this week, sure I won't be missed but maybe I'll take a sojourn until the football starts.

You’re correct to not like bullying or personal insults, and it can wander into that territory , very rarely but it does happen on here but it’s usually only with a small number of topics.
Politics, religion and these days, sexuality.
There’s a reason most sensible people don’t discuss those topics in say, a pub or party.

I for one think this thread is a good one but def one to avoid if one is not in the mood for conflicting opinions!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Guardian:

Obviously, those involved with SHFA are engaged in a massive wind-up, although they probably believe that they’re making an astute game-changing point about identity politics and that straight men are oppressed in these politically correct times. I’m sure there are corners of the dark net where such musings would be applauded by gruff, mysteriously single, MAGA baseball cap-wearing men, when they’re not complaining about frigid modern women or researching sarin gas.

In the real world, there’s a good reason why Gay Pride needs to exist and Straight Pride doesn’t. Straight people, especially white straight people, don’t have to stand up for their rights. They’re OK, to the point where they can afford to budge up a bit and give different types of people space to breathe.

Straight men such as those behind Straight Pride are auto-celebrated, auto-protected and auto-privileged every second of every minute of every day of their whingeing, resentful, spiteful lives. Perhaps they should hold a parade about that.

I don't think that gay pride "needs to exist". I believe it turns more straight people off the whole "gay" thing rather than getting them onside. They should go about their lives without any particular fuss and I believe people would be far more accepting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't think that gay pride "needs to exist". I believe it turns more straight people off the whole "gay" thing rather than getting them onside. They should go about their lives without any particular fuss and I believe people would be far more accepting.

I don’t think gay people are trying to get anyone onside. Pride is a celebration of all sexuality, everyone is invited to the party.
I personally don’t attend anymore as I don’t like the noise and chaos but it certainly doesn’t put me off anyone’s sexual preference, it’s just I’m a middle aged git!

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Feel like this is worth posting.

9B2DEE57-FAAA-4565-A469-B7B058727A2C.png

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Guardian:

Wow. Straight men don't need a pride event, since they are celebrated, protected and privileged .

Said the person who just called them whingeing, resentful, and spiteful based at least in part on their sexuality.

Lack of self awareness much?

The way I see it, it's this simple. People shouldn't give two flying ****s what color, race, gender or sexuality you are. You can help by realizing that it starts with you not defining yourself by those things either. Gay/Black/Female or whatever pride effectively says, "I am part of a group, and this is that group, and this group should be celebrated", but dividing people into groups is the basis of discrimination. Your rights and the dignity you are entitled to come from the fact that you are a human being, and an individual.

You don't fight against prejudice by "celebrating" your group. You fight it by recognizing that groups don't matter at all. No shame in your color, race, gender or sexuality, but no pride in it either.

Because it's irrelevant.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All well and good but many straight people go about their lives with maximum fuss. Straight people moan about this, complain about that, rush around, worry unnecessarily, get their knickers in a twist over nonsense which really doesn’t deserve the time of day etc etc. Once they stop, maybe others will follow?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow. Straight men don't need a pride event, since they are celebrated, protected and privileged .

Said the person who just called them whingeing, resentful, and spiteful based at least in part on their sexuality.

Lack of self awareness much?

The way I see it, it's this simple. People shouldn't give two flying ****s what color, race, gender or sexuality you are. You can help by realizing that it starts with you not defining yourself by those things either. Gay/Black/Female or whatever pride effectively says, "I am part of a group, and this is that group, and this group should be celebrated", but dividing people into groups is the basis of discrimination. Your rights and the dignity you are entitled to come from the fact that you are a human being, and an individual.

You don't fight against prejudice by "celebrating" your group. You fight it by recognizing that groups don't matter at all. No shame in your color, race, gender or sexuality, but no pride in it either.

Because it's irrelevant.

I totally agree that groups don’t matter. I’m all for union and cooperation, and not for division. Sadly 52% of my country doesn’t follow. We therefore continue the fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here