Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Happy 70th Birthday NHS - Best Of British Bar NONE

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can't agree that private healthcare is not efficient or compassionate.

My Wife would not have had the treatment for her Cancer if she had used the NHS and seeing as it was Aggressive stage 3 there is a good chance she would be dead by now.

If looking after my Wife makes me an evil Tory, so be it.
I suppose it depends how you define efficient and how you define compassionate.

Certainly, you'll feel the private sector is efficient when your waiting time is slashed by 80% - that's the only reason I have private healthcare myself. But in terms of cost, it really isn't efficient at all and the numbers are there on the internet for all to see. For a star the NHS benefits with economies of scale that the private sector can only dream of.

As for compassionate, well people are people and nurses are nurses, regardless of where they are working. But I'm sorry, there's really nothing compassionate about "I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid your policy with us doesn't cover that form of cancer".

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The NHS is fantastic. My daughter will be having an operation tomorrow to pin her collarbone after she crashed her bike. The care she has received so far since her accident has been second to none. As other people have said this has allowed to just be concerned parents about the health of our daughter and not a worry or have thoughts about financial things. This is one of the most important parts of British life and we should all fight to protect it at all costs. Caring for others no matter who they are is what makes a civilised society.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saved my life from Mengintis aged 3 months.
Nursed my Mum, Dad and Brother through their last hours.
Saved my Stepdad's life from bowel cancer.

Healthy bunch us lot!

Shame politicians are hell bent on destroying it, piece by piece, subtle as a knife in the spine. ********.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside , not having your own private health insurance in this day and age is insane. Very affordable for the vast majority of people . Crazy not to have it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't agree that private healthcare is not efficient or compassionate.

My Wife would not have had the treatment for her Cancer if she had used the NHS and seeing as it was Aggressive stage 3 there is a good chance she would be dead by now.

If looking after my Wife makes me an evil Tory, so be it.

The assessment was made on the basis of lobal issues: national costs vs the free market (USA system). Your case is an anecdote and is not an argument (not that you were actually making one) for ditching the NHS in favour of a USA type system. Health care in the NHS is rationed, for sure, but the rations are generally pretty decent. If insufficient (as in your wife's case) then there is the free market and insurance if you wish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shame it was privatised under Blair & Brown.

That is total bollocks. Seriously :shrug:

At least you admit in a later post "I'm not expert though, probably like most of us."

I work in a big London teaching hospital (I am a university employee, not a medic, but I teach medics and do medical research). I can assure you it hasn't been privatised. The private public partnership so favoured by Mr Tony is part of the 'flexible and pragmatic' approach that contrasts with the 'nationalise everything' policy of Corbyn, which is so very popular with you and other political sages on NSC (that was irony, btw), and the (secret) 'run it down and flog it off' approach favoursed by any right-thinking tory (a rational outlook, albeit one that I don't share). (How I miss Mr Tony - pragmatic beats doctrinaire every day for me, even if he was a fool in some respects). Mr Tony's approach hasn't eaten much if at all into frontline healthcare delivery as far as I can see, although it affects purchasing and services. That said, where I work the privatised amenities are a vast improvement on what was there before. Of course things like charging an arm and a leg for telephone, TV and parking are mean and cheapskate. But it isn't like we are either forced to sit in our own shit, or rent the bed on an hourly rate. Anyway, I don't think this is supposed to be a politics thread, or a 'who ****ed the NHS the most' thread (it is the tories, by the way, by a country mile, in case you're interested). So I'll say no more.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just over three weeks ago I experienced how fvcking brilliant the NHS is and how fvcked up it is in the hands of the politicians.

I had a little bit of toothache on the Wednesday, took some drugs, it went away and I thought nothing of it. Felt a little shit on the Friday but thought nothing of it. Saturday my chin had swelled - just thought it was my glads - felt shit but thought it would go away. Sunday my face is like a football and hurts like hell. Mrs W wants me to go to A&E but being a man I just shrug it off.

Monday comes and I'm in so much pain I don't know what to do with myself. Phone the doctors at 9am, describe my symptoms and get a call back from a doctor 4 minutes later. At 9.30 I'm sitting in front of that GP. She phones the RSCH and gets to speak to the duty ENT SHO in two minutes. Told to go to hospital immediately. Report to A&E and I will be collected.

45 minutes later I arrive at A&E, give my details and am told to wait. 5 minutes later I'm being taken to see said SHO. SHO sends me for an x-ray and I jump the queue after waiting 3 minutes. Return to see the SHO and now have a senior nurse giving me IV paracetamol and morphine. Less than 10 minutes and a senior consultant from facial ( can't remember the proper name ) is examining me. I'm assigned a senior nurse to stay with me as I couldn't be left alone. The next 6 hours or so see my stats being taken every thirty minutes and constant visits from the SHO and the consultant. Then two anesthetists examine me to prep me for a tube or a tracheotomy. Unknown to me they are concerned my airway may collapse and they were considering if I was safe enough to transfer to East Grinstead for emergency surgery. Mrs W was briefed all the way along ( I was too high on morphine to fully comprehend ) and was told how serious it was. She was then assigned a nurse to look after her.

The consultant managed to book me an Intensive Care bed at EG and emergency surgery and an ambulance and released two doctors to travel with me in case my airway collapsed on the way. The was no full resuscitation kit on the ambulance so the consultant found the only one in A&E and pulled rank to make sure it was on the ambulance ( that's where the NHS is fvcked up ). Thankfully I was fit to travel without being put under or tubed so it was blues and twos to EG watching most the traffic part as we approached - that said there are an amazing amount of w@ankers that don't get out the way.

Less than 30 minutes from RSCH to EG and I'm lying in Intensive Care being prep'ed for surgery with a gaggle of at least a dozen medical staff around me - all for me ! 10pm I come round in ICU. So 12 hours from seeing my GP to getting what could have been life saving treatment. 24 hours in ICU and then 24 hours on a ward and then a week later a check up at the RSCH and I've met over two dozen NHS staff all of whom were selfless, kind, caring and in my eyes, heroes. We throw the word hero around far too much - especially in football - but I can't fault one single member of NHS staff I can into contact with.

And now the moan. My issue ended up being an abscess under a tooth that had infected another part of my body. This may have been my own fault given I'm so scared of dentists that I haven't been to one for over 10 years. BUT I know plenty of people that don't go to the dentist because it costs so much ( indeed while unemployed Mrs W had to go because she was in so much pain but we didn't have the money to pay for any treatment - over £250 - that she lied on the form and said she was on income based JSA. She ended up being caught and having to pay it back ) - now while that isn't the case for me, imagine it was and how much it has cost the NHS to treat me rather than give front line dental treatment as part of the NHS 'free at the point of care'.

So here's my wish list for the NHS ( and no I don't have a magic money tree ) :

> Inflation plus 3% increase in real funding every year
> For the NHS to be removed from political control and instead run by medical experts alongside non-political, independent experts
> Front line dental treatment to be free ( teeth are a part of our health after all )
> Free eye tests for those that don't get them from their employers
> All front line NHS staff to get indexed link pay rises every year without fail
> A law passed prevent drugs companies taking the piss on the cost of drugs
> Free morphine ..... it's bloody good stuff !!!

OK, maybe not the last one.

And finally, something I've also learned, make sure you get regular dental checkups - I'm taking treatment to get over my fear as I don;t want that to ever happen to me again.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The NHS is fantastic. My daughter will be having an operation tomorrow to pin her collarbone after she crashed her bike. The care she has received so far since her accident has been second to none. As other people have said this has allowed to just be concerned parents about the health of our daughter and not a worry or have thoughts about financial things. This is one of the most important parts of British life and we should all fight to protect it at all costs. Caring for others no matter who they are is what makes a civilised society.

This all day :thumbsup:
They, the NHS, looked after my mrs, throughout all her issues, brilliant attitudes :bowdown:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My only gripe with the NHS (and it's not in any way their fault) is the way pissed-up ferals are allowed to abuse it on Friday and Saturday nights. They're given free rein to run amok and abuse staff and generally act like ****s. It's a three-ring circus of a weekend. Wouldn't happen on a budget airline, you'd be disembarked somewhere deeply inconvenient to sober up and think about what you'd done. In my opinion 'Wasting NHS Time' should be an offence in exactly the same way as 'Wasting Police Time' and punished by hefty fines or loss of benefits.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Got my thankyou hamper today as an NHS worker :)

Enough coffee tea and biscuits to last me and my dept a few months :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My only gripe with the NHS (and it's not in any way their fault) is the way pissed-up ferals are allowed to abuse it on Friday and Saturday nights. They're given free rein to run amok and abuse staff and generally act like ****s. It's a three-ring circus of a weekend. Wouldn't happen on a budget airline, you'd be disembarked somewhere deeply inconvenient to sober up and think about what you'd done. In my opinion 'Wasting NHS Time' should be an offence in exactly the same way as 'Wasting Police Time' and punished by hefty fines or loss of benefits.

Plans are in action on that front...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
NHS fantastic Had experience over years with children and parents cannot be faulted. Always used as a political tool by whoever is in opposition. Like it or not country is billions in debt and have very little spare money.
With people living longer will not be able to keep throwing money at it. Its a no no subject but still think apart from those on benefits should make a contribution For eg 10 pounds when going to doctor and charging P... heads using A&E

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
NHS fantastic Had experience over years with children and parents cannot be faulted. Always used as a political tool by whoever is in opposition. Like it or not country is billions in debt and have very little spare money.
With people living longer will not be able to keep throwing money at it. Its a no no subject but still think apart from those on benefits should make a contribution For eg 10 pounds when going to doctor and charging P... heads using A&E

Utterly disagree. Access to any part of the NHS should never be made on an ability to pay - sadly some of it already is. I'd happily pay a premium on my tax bill - say 2p in the pound - if it was given to the NHS directly ( and enforced by an Act of Parliament so it can't be nicked to pay for something else ).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Utterly disagree. Access to any part of the NHS should never be made on an ability to pay - sadly some of it already is. I'd happily pay a premium on my tax bill - say 2p in the pound - if it was given to the NHS directly ( and enforced by an Act of Parliament so it can't be nicked to pay for something else ).

This,it's a mission creep scenario, start by charging for eye tests, prescriptions, dental work, bringing in private, profit making businesses, end up paying for heart ops, cancer treatment, etc. Do what was done on the railways, under invest in the nationalised industry, then, it becomes easier to persuade people, privatisation is the best way forward.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This, all day long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here