Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gavin Geddes

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Woody has a book out? Any details as I reckon that would be one hell of a read given some the stories about him.
Lazarus is the name of the book
Bloody funny in places and not a bad read if you know the bloke well.
He was trying to run a B&B in Ireland but came back a while ago and was trying to raise money to do another book
7b209805c8181e0f56a733578465172a.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
He was trying to run a B&B in Ireland but came back a while ago and was trying to raise money to do another book

Available on Amazon. Looking at the reviews he's obviously done something to upset Sarah Pyne. I wonder if she's an ex....

Unusual for a football autobiography nearly all the reviews, good and bad, are from women. I wonder if they're all exes..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/revi..._1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Available on Amazon. Looking at the reviews he's obviously done something to upset Sarah Pyne. I wonder if she's an ex....

Unusual for a football autobiography nearly all the reviews, good and bad, are from women. I wonder if they're all exes..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/revi..._1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

One of the female 5 star reviewers is Joanna Schofield. If it's the same one she used to go out with Teddy Maybank and was going out with Teddy when he appeared on Blind Date. They were actually engaged at that time according to this biography of Cilla Black...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...age&q=johanna schofield teddy maybank&f=false

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Woody has a book out? WTF! Wasn’t he shagging a MP a while ago? Was front page of the NOTW or one of the others if I remember correctly?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Woody’s book is well worth a read, unless you’re Sarah Pyne!

Back to Gavin Geddes, playing devils advocate, what if he was abused by this individual?
And this irrational behaviour is PTSD?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Back to Gavin Geddes, playing devils advocate, what if he was abused by this individual?

I think that if he had genuinely been a victim there would have been other historical victims of this man coming forward to speak in Geddes defence or at least corroborate his story after seeing what he was going through with the court case. This hasn't happened as far as I am aware.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'Devil's Advocate' or whatever - your post is EXACTLY why Geddes' crime is so serious.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Is this the nudge nudge wink wink no smoke without fire approach to discredit the person who was bankrupted and blackmailed by Geddes?

A bit like Hillsborough being due to drunken Liverpool fans, if you put it in the public domain some will believe it?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The two younger Newman brothers were childhood stars at boxing. Wasn’t he the enforcer in his football teams.

Aren't Darren's brothers, Sean and Paul older than him, Paul had a very serious car accident when he was 15/16'sh and perhaps if not for this might have gone onto becoming a better sportsman than them both and although Sean might have done some boxing and up until recently was involved in his local boxing club I really cannot recall either Sean or Paul ever being cited as particularly talented boxers, at your time at Tideway there was Leigh Wicks that was progressing in the boxing game and became a professional now living in Worthing, his son Max seems to be following on in his footsteps ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is this the nudge nudge wink wink no smoke without fire approach to discredit the person who was bankrupted and blackmailed by Geddes?

A bit like Hillsborough being due to drunken Liverpool fans, if you put it in the public domain some will believe it?

And sadly some still do. Despite THE actual TRUTH having been 100% proven. Trump didn't invent fake news.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know a lot of players that never saw the riches promised to them.

In the 80's there were very few picking up the riches that are now rumoured, especially in the County league prime example is the powerful and successful Peacehaven side, never really paid much, a little later early 90's Newhaven started to throw a few quid around, Tony Towner, Andy Rollings, Matt Wiltshire, Burvill, Newman, Chipper, Blythe etc. but those worth a few quid more might be tempted to play a higher non league level at Lewes, Worthing, Bognor etc.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
In the 80's there were very few picking up the riches that are now rumoured, especially in the County league prime example is the powerful and successful Peacehaven side, never really paid much, a little later early 90's Newhaven started to throw a few quid around, Tony Towner, Andy Rollings, Matt Wiltshire, Burvill, Newman, Chipper, Blythe etc. but those worth a few quid more might be tempted to play a higher non league level at Lewes, Worthing, Bognor etc.

A good mate of mine in those days was a very decent county player.

Obviously, I won't mention the name or club, but the owner of one gave him a £1,000 in cash to sign, and then £50 for a win, £20 draw.

Edit : Actually, it may have been £75 win, £50 draw, £20 loss. I'm getting old!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aren't Darren's brothers, Sean and Paul older than him, Paul had a very serious car accident when he was 15/16'sh and perhaps if not for this might have gone onto becoming a better sportsman than them both and although Sean might have done some boxing and up until recently was involved in his local boxing club I really cannot recall either Sean or Paul ever being cited as particularly talented boxers, at your time at Tideway there was Leigh Wicks that was progressing in the boxing game and became a professional now living in Worthing, his son Max seems to be following on in his footsteps ?

Hi. I went to school with Paul, a good lad, highly talented at virtually every school sport, I knew he wasn’t a boxer. I remember Leigh well. Sean used to work at a car rad place by Newhaven train station. 360 in 12 classes in our year, the second largest school in the whole UK at the time. A lot of stuff for Rothwell and Saxby to police! Was Paul 17 when the terrible accident happened?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A good mate of mine in those days was a very decent county player.

Obviously, I won't mention the name or club, but the owner of one gave him a £1,000 in cash to sign, and then £50 for a win, £20 draw.

Edit : Actually, it may have been £75 win, £50 draw, £20 loss. I'm getting old!

It did happen but not as widespread as is so often said and details are prone to exaggeration even by close friends and although your mate did well to demand a signing on fee of £1000.00 the figures only really pay him on average weekly £20.00-£70.00 depending on the result so he is hardly up to the £100's so often cited, unless that team is successful and that player is integral to that success the money invariably runs out anyway.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hi. I went to school with Paul, a good lad, highly talented at virtually every school sport, I knew he wasn’t a boxer. I remember Leigh well. Sean used to work at a car rad place by Newhaven train station. 360 in 12 classes in our year, the second largest school in the whole UK at the time. A lot of stuff for Rothwell and Saxby to police! Was Paul 17 when the terrible accident happened?

Yes that sounds about right, I still bump into them at times, Darren is really back on track, loved the school a little barmy at times though.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It did happen but not as widespread as is so often said and details are prone to exaggeration even by close friends and although your mate did well to demand a signing on fee of £1000.00 the figures only really pay him on average weekly £20.00-£70.00 depending on the result so he is hardly up to the £100's so often cited, unless that team is successful and that player is integral to that success the money invariably runs out anyway.

It was definitely £1,000, in cash.

He never got the £100s though weekly, at that club. His following one, I wouldn't know.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The irrational behaviour being extorting money repeatedly out of a pensioner?

Geddes has always been flash, the amounts quoted in the Argus tie in quite nicely with someone who needed to maintain a post football lifestyle. My brother-in-law has PTSD (genuinely, it's been diagnosed) as a result of serving in the South African and British armies, inclduing in Afghanistan. He has a definite range of symptoms but blackmailing an old man isn't one of them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here