Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Friday debate - Would you give up your UK passport?

Could you give up your U.K. passport?

• Yes - I don’t mind giving up my U.K. passport

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • No - Rule Brittania etc etc.

Votes: 61 52.6%

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I could still apply for Batswana citizenship, but as Botswana issues blue passports I don't see the need now with The UK about to do likewise, as my life is now so much more complete.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reality is that I haven't missed my blue UK passport one iota since I've had a maroon EU passport.

Similarly, if there was an option to pay a fee in order to retain EU citizenship rights re freedom or movement, labour and retain an EU passport then I'd seriously consider that.

My wife was born and raised in Scotland and I've wondered whether if Scotland had a second referendum and opted for independence, then reapplied for EU membership whether the Scottish passport option would be viable.

England is a very divided country now, as well as being extremely culturally and demographically diverse. I have nothing in common politically with a country under the influence of Farage's legacy that allows Grenfell and Windrush to happen, that is a glorified tax haven for the global rich and hell-bent on Brexit and making life difficult for anyone who wasn't born here and isn't white Anglo-Saxon.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Spain does not allow dual nationality, so no. But, of course a Spaniard living in the UK can have dual nationality. Not a level playing field as far as EU rights go.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With respect, not the best-worded of poll questions.

I would 'mind' giving up my British passport. Like most supporters of a (historically) lower level football team I have a strong sense of place. I'm pleased I was born in Brighton and I have great affection for the land of my fathers. I am pleased to have a British passport. But I am deeply unhappy about the way the country it represents is going and so would on balance be prepared to exchange it for a European one. I would be even happier if my children, the future, could do the same.

But I am furious that the situation has arisen.

Completely this, especially when you consider the hypocrisy of Nigel Farage.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/986919381199392768

[tweet]986919381199392768[/tweet]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Farage may well be a hypocrite, but why is this hypocritical? Surely, his children should have the same rules applied to them as other children born into a similar position. Or should we discriminate against the children of those who don't share our political views?

kjgood

This, already looked to see if I can obtain an Irish passport, just in case. My gut feeling is though that not a lot will change when the final final deal is done.

Sorry to wreck the premise of the question straight out of the gate but the UK allows dual citizenship. As such, you can take on any other nationality you like, there will still be no need to give up your British passport.

Best of both worlds.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The British passport is one of the most powerful in the world, allowing visa free access to over 160 countries. No I wouldn't give mine up, although I would consider obtaining dual nationality if I lived abroad in future.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Not sure I follow what the problem is here? Surely Farage's kids are entitled to have their own political views and the freedom to have whichever passport they so desire. How does Farage's kids having different views and opinions make Farage a hypocrite? What am I missing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The British passport is one of the most powerful in the world, allowing visa free access to over 160 countries. No I wouldn't give mine up, although I would consider obtaining dual nationality if I lived abroad in future.

Powerful, but not the most powerful. Any EU passport will also grant you unrivalled rights and freedoms to visit, live, work and retire in a further 27 nations.

https://www.businessinsider.de/germany-has-the-most-powerful-passport-in-the-world-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Farage may well be a hypocrite, but why is this hypocritical? Surely, his children should have the same rules applied to them as other children born into a similar position. Or should we discriminate against the children of those who don't share our political views?

Not sure I follow what the problem is here? Surely Farage's kids are entitled to have their own political views and the freedom to have whichever passport they so desire. How does Farage's kids having different views and opinions make Farage a hypocrite? What am I missing?

At the moment, as a member of the EU, all of our children can live, work and in some cases study in EU universities (in English, and many without fees)

Once we have left the EU, only children like the Farage children who have dual nationility due his wife being German, can have that advantage. He has campaigned and fought for something that he won't lose out on, but many others will.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
But I believe there some countries, like Japan, which do not allow dual citizenship? So you will have to give up your U.K. passport to get a Japanese one?

Damn, foiled again!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At the moment, as a member of the EU, all of our children can live, work and in some cases study in EU universities (in English, and many without fees)

Once we have left the EU, only children like the Farage children who have dual nationility due his wife being German, can have that advantage. He has campaigned and fought for something that he won't lose out on, but many others will.
I don't think that is hypocritical. Politicians of all sides present and implement policies that are either of personal benefit to them and their families, or not. If one was to legislate against that kind of thing, then there would be few politicians and even fewer policies.

I think you are alluding to a kind of nepotism, if this is nepotism, then it's of the least direct type.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Remember this is also the bloke who announced he would be taking his EU pension as it was the least he deserved after all he'd been through. 100% snake oil salesman

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What the hell is a European passport?Never seen one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Remember this is also the bloke who announced he would be taking his EU pension as it was the least he deserved after all he'd been through. 100% snake oil salesman

Exactly. He has been drawing his EU wages but only attended 3 out of 42 meetings when elected onto the Fisheries Committee. He then had the gall to go on the Thames throwing dead fish into the river, thus polluting it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...farage-over-his-fishing-protest-a3795726.html

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I have to admit to being truly bewildered by the whole blue passport thing. I guess as im under 50 i don't really remember the blue passports and having seen them I can't understand why anyone would care.

Anyway I have dual nationality and hold passports from both countries. The British one is useful as my other passport can cause problems in certain countries.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have to admit to being truly bewildered by the whole blue passport thing. I guess as im under 50 i don't really remember the blue passports and having seen them I can't understand why anyone would care.

Anyway I have dual nationality and hold passports from both countries. The British one is useful as my other passport can cause problems in certain countries.

The design changed in 1988 but there was no compunction to make it maroon. It could have been blue if that was the choice at the time.

This is a picture of the old navy blue, current maroon and the new blue passport.

passports.jpg

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here