Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nothing new, just a season ending piece from Ronay - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be read.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1557561463

As said nothing new, and I'm sure it's even been mentioned here, but I do wonder if the Albion were ever interested.

I'd like to think they were and in an ideal world the Albion turned their backs with McKay's inclusion to the 'deal'.

Interesting read, poor Sala putting his trust in what clearly looks like a cheap and murky looking operator. I suppose it's like a microcosm of the world today, if there is an asset to be exploited and money to be made on the back of if or by shaving a cost here or there, a way will be found for it to happen.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting read, poor Sala putting his trust in what clearly looks like a cheap and murky looking operator. I suppose it's like a microcosm of the world today, if there is an asset to be exploited and money to be made on the back of if or by shaving a cost here or there, a way will be found for it to happen.

The greed of modern football is quite putrid these days

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Nothing new, just a season ending piece from Ronay - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be read.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1557561463

As said nothing new, and I'm sure it's even been mentioned here, but I do wonder if the Albion were ever interested.

I'd like to think they were and in an ideal world the Albion turned their backs with McKay's inclusion to the 'deal'.

Thats disturbing, I shouldn't be as surprised as I am, but I am...thats dark!

D

Deleted member 22389

Poor woman, losing her son then husband, words can't describe how she must be feeling. This whole episode is awful.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
No words suffice, but horrific comes close.

It's chilling and enough to question everything about the game we all love. It's dominated by money, most likely corrupt (on many, many levels) and in this case pretty sickening.

I only hope our club conduct business in a more transparent and less shady and/or 'desperate' manner.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It's chilling and enough to question everything about the game we all love. It's dominated by money, most likely corrupt (on many, many levels) and in this case pretty sickening.

I only hope our club conduct business in a more transparent and less shady and/or 'desperate' manner.
Wasn’t too long ago we were investigated and our name dragged through the dirt.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A terrible situation where now only the lawyers are going to benefit, and where a conclusion is some time away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A terrible situation where now only the lawyers are going to benefit, and where a conclusion is some time away.

You'd like to think an owner would say 'it's just not worth it', and immediately write cheque.

Sure I'd be somewhat loathed to hand over cash to Mckay, but I would have had to do that anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I fear we have to dip our toe in the murky water from time to time too or else we slip off the gravy train, I recall we spent quite a few Millions on " Agents Fees ".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
McKay’s chilling communication to Sala released to L’Équipe:

“Emiliano, My name is Willie McKay …. We are not interested in looking after your personal interests.” A good time, you’d think, to stop reading. McKay tells Sala that agents such as himself “only care about money” and encourages the player to cut his current agent Meïssa N’Diaye out of any deal, while dangling a £1m payment to Sala’s mother under his nose.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Willie McKay was always Harry Redknapp's 'agent of choice' at P*rtsm**th. That probably tells you all you need to know.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I fear we have to dip our toe in the murky water from time to time too or else we slip off the gravy train, I recall we spent quite a few Millions on " Agents Fees ".

I have to admit, I'd forgotten about that little episode a few years back and agree we're probably dining from the same all you can eat player buffet. It's unpalatable for me, I have to admit it. Reading that (the article) has given me serious pause for thought re how avidly I follow the game from this moment forward... not that I wasn't aware of 'the state of the game' in general terms, yet I was guilty of kind of ignoring it... when you read such a well put together article, well, it's a damning indictment of the once beautiful game.

Probably bad timing re today, in particular re Bruno, but I think the game is finished. A serious 'clean up' that will never happen, let's be honest... could save it, but it's ever more apparent that players (Like Bruno) and 'ethical' agents (if such a thing has ever existed?!?) are the last of a dying breed.

Obviously I hope we get a result today, but MAN this kind of thing is just awful no matter how you slice it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have to admit, I'd forgotten about that little episode a few years back and agree we're probably dining from the same all you can eat player buffet. It's unpalatable for me, I have to admit it. Reading that (the article) has given me serious pause for thought re how avidly I follow the game from this moment forward... not that I wasn't aware of 'the state of the game' in general terms, yet I was guilty of kind of ignoring it... when you read such a well put together article, well, it's a damning indictment of the once beautiful game.

Probably bad timing re today, in particular re Bruno, but I think the game is finished. A serious 'clean up' that will never happen, let's be honest... could save it, but it's ever more apparent that players (Like Bruno) and 'ethical' agents (if such a thing has ever existed?!?) are the last of a dying breed.

Obviously I hope we get a result today, but MAN this kind of thing is just awful no matter how you slice it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/25/brighton-fined-agents-dale-stephens-fa

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Just a heads up about a football documentary tonight.

There's an emotional programme on BBC One Wales at 8.30pm, focusing on Emiliano Sala's family looking for answers into his tragic death from a plane crash in January.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What a beautiful family Emiliano had. Very hard to watch at times with his parents visibly broken by his death. Sadly, his father passed away two weeks after filming that programme.

The anger I have is for leeches like Willie McKay and getting their grubby hands on any transfer fee made as an agent. I will never understand Emiliano getting on a cold, dark winter night plane with an almost amateur pilot with no licence to fly without light that evening.

As I've said before, RIP Emiliano. :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Willie McKay was always Harry Redknapp's 'agent of choice' at P*rtsm**th. That probably tells you all you need to know.

Willie and his son Mark have had some interesting clients, some of whom have been involved in lucrative contracts stand offs:

Mings
Joey Barton
N’Zogbia
Payet
McCormack
Chimbonda

Needless to say, always good business for the McKay’s.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Willie McCay booked the private single engine light aircraft as an alternative to the commercial flight that Cardiff offered. The original pilot pulled out and was replaced someone who was only licensed to fly visually and was not qualified to use the instruments flying blind. There was only going to be one outcome flying across the channel under bad weather conditions and low viability on a winters night. Totally avoidable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here