Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Stephens gives away at least 3 stupid freekicks on the edge of the area every single game. You can get away with that in the Championship but at this level it will cost us. Couple that with passing backwards when the team is trying to drive forwards, he is the worst player in our starting lineup IMO. A defensive midfielder should be breaking up play and looking to move the ball forwards, not passing back to Dunk or Duffy and giving them the responsibility of making a killer through ball.

When Gus Poyet arrived, it took a while for some of the - how shall I put it? - stagnant English football fans to appreciate what he was doing. All you heard was 'get it forward', as it they magically knew best.

Like Wilkins, Stephens plays the ball which is the safest, simplest way, because that's the correct way to play. The fact that many still refuse to understand the notion of keeping the ball when a safe (ish) pass forward isn't on kind of implies that, nine years down the line, some of that 'get it forward' Hackney Marshes attitude hasn't gone away, and some things will never be learned by some people.

The simple fact is, despite this myopia, Stephens does pass if forwards, he doesn't give 'at least 3 stupid freekicks on the edge of the area every single game' (Jesus wept - Saturday is living proof of how this jaundiced view is easily unpicked), and he is one of the best central midfielders the club has had. Proof of that is the accolades his contemporaries have paid him down the years.

When we as fans gave Kayal Player of the Season, his fellow pros didn't even give Beram a sniff, and put Stephens into the Championship Team of the Season. His colleagues at the Albion put him in the top two players in our promotion season, when the fans basically ignored his efforts (though of course no-one begrudged Knockaert his accolades).

Stephens might be under-rated and poorly though of by you. The professional footballers who have played for and against him fundamentally disagree.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When Gus Poyet arrived, it took a while for some of the - how shall I put it? - stagnant English football fans to appreciate what he was doing. All you heard was 'get it forward', as it they magically knew best.

Like Wilkins, Stephens plays the ball which is the safest, simplest way, because that's the correct way to play. The fact that many still refuse to understand the notion of keeping the ball when a safe (ish) pass forward isn't on kind of implies that, nine years down the line, some of that 'get it forward' Hackney Marshes attitude hasn't gone away, and some things will never be learned by some people.

The simple fact is, despite this myopia, Stephens does pass if forwards, he doesn't give 'at least 3 stupid freekicks on the edge of the area every single game' (Jesus wept - Saturday is living proof of how this jaundiced view is easily unpicked), and he is one of the best central midfielders the club has had. Proof of that is the accolades his contemporaries have paid him down the years.

When we as fans gave Kayal Player of the Season, his fellow pros didn't even give Beram a sniff, and put Stephens into the Championship Team of the Season. His colleagues at the Albion put him in the top two players in our promotion season, when the fans basically ignored his efforts (though of course no-one begrudged Knockaert his accolades).

Stephens might be under-rated and poorly though of by you. The professional footballers who have played for and against him fundamentally disagree.

Good post (it pains me to write!).

Don't forget how desperate Burnley were to sign him and how TB/CH made it their top priority to keep him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Brilliant post.

The players, Hughton (and Dyche) all rate Stephens very highly. That’s good enough for me. Clearly the best CM ‘sitter’ we’ve had for many seasons, plus he adds height/power against rough-house teams and gives Dunk/Duffy great support in that department in defending set pieces.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Desparation for an equaliser in a cup tie. Izzy showed none of his scintillating pace of 2017/18.

Sorry but I don't believe they would play someone carrying a niggle bad enough to need an operation no matter how desperate.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not surprised he's pissed off. Kayal IMHO should ALWAYS be on the team sheet when available. Attacking central midfielder with a bit of bite about him. What's not to like?

Agreed. Good match for him. I think it was a poor call but we move on

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
**** me, the comments on this thread are embarrassing. People wanting Kayal to play more because he's energetic and runs about a lot. Incredible how simple football is isn't it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why shouldn't the manager pick the best team for the day?

I’m referring to him not even being in the squad, and not not playing even 5 minutes over the last 3 games. When a manager would rather have to play a defender out of position than put you on the bench, it’s time to go sadly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This was always going to be a by-product of a successful cup run. Give the squad players a run-out in the earlier rounds and if they get you that little bit further through the competition than maybe anticipated, then their 'reward' at some point in the later rounds is to be bounced in favour of the manager's first choice players. Bound to put the odd nose out of joint. Not sure what the solution is, other than to play the first choice players all through the competition. Tricky balancing act for the manager.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Also those that he should have been on the bench instead of whom?

Instead of Bong. We didn’t need 3 defenders on the bench. Had Stephens, Propper or Bissouma got injured early on and CH wasn’t ready to go to 4-4-2, who would he have brought on to play midfield that could have done a better job than Kayal ? Nobody !
I was baffled by his omission..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both Wolves and Watford played their 'second string' keepers for the semis, having played all the previous rounds and they didn't let their team dowm yesterday.
Did the Wolves keeper do ok for the winning goal? And will Watford play the same keeper when they play City?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
And will Watford play the same keeper when they play City?

Ben Foster has already jokingly said he will refuse to play in the final ahead of Heurelho Gomes. It will more than likely be Gomes final professional game, although Watford are still trying to get him to stay on another season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ben Foster has already jokingly said he will refuse to play in the final ahead of Heurelho Gomes. It will more than likely be Gomes final professional game, although Watford are still trying to get him to stay on another season.
Fair enough.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't understand the decision to leave him on the bench either, given that if one of our midfielders had to come off we would have had to change the formation.

I can only summise, I don't think he's quite what Hughton is looking for

Kayal has been terrific for us, but probably he needs a move. We'll lose several of the players who did well in the Championship over the summer and he is very likely to be one of them. If that is the case, “all the best for the rest of your career Beram and you’ll certainly get warm applause any time you come back to the Amex”

Agree with the comments... just wish I didn't because seeing him go would be easy if he was actually sh*t. Beram has and continues to be a great addition to the club as a whole and an all round great guy. However well he plays he just doesn't keep his place so clearly not quite what CH wants and therefore it would probably be best for him if he went to somewhere he would be better appreciated. Selfishly, would rather it was abroad as wouldn't want him playing against us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Much as we love our CMs, and as good as they may be, the likelihood is that CM will be our main concern in the next window. Bringing in a couple of CMs who are better than what we've got will likely take up a greater part of our £100M PL money. And if we do succeed in landing a couple of such players, it is quite likely that Kayal will not be the only CM moving on.

And no, I've no idea who.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

He does give away the second most fouls per game in our side though. And by the nature of his position on the pitch and how deep we are, it's not unsurprising that a number of his fouls are in dangerous areas. More so than Murray's, for example. Although yes, people are prone to over exaggeration on the quantity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry but I don't believe they would play someone carrying a niggle bad enough to need an operation no matter how desperate.

I would if I thought that in 10 mins or so he could turn the game around with 1 piece of magic as he has done in the past. Probably why he was brought on late on Saturday at Wembley,.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure we'll be bringing in a new high quality midfielder in the summer, as well as having 4 hopefully decent U21s - Mac Allister, Baluta, Molumby, and Sanders.

So, I think it may well be a loan out for King Kayal next season - perhaps to a commutable London club like Millwall, QPR or Brentford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here