Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderwood to Villa

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Chris didn't look too happy when asked about it on sky at the end of the match. "Very disappointed and surprised". Guess that rules out any speculation that it may have been amicable.

Really quite gutted for Chris on the back of that interview. You would think that the least Calderwood would do is have an open and frank discussion with the man with whom he has worked at 4 separate clubs. I'm sure he had his reasons, but to hear Chris say he was 'surprised' suggests a degree of disrespect on the part of Calderwood. However, I'm sure the club will back Hughton with whoever he wants to bring in now.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Really quite gutted for Chris on the back of that interview. You would think that the least Calderwood would do is have an open and frank discussion with the man with whom he has worked at 4 separate clubs. I'm sure he had his reasons, but to hear Chris say he was 'surprised' suggests a degree of disrespect on the part of Calderwood. However, I'm sure the club will back Hughton with whoever he wants to bring in now.

very much that.....!! leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth i'm afraid and shows Calderwood and Villa up to be untrustworthy in their dealings.....not thinking much of Villa at all at the moment or Calderwood , unfortunately.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think you are maybe reading too much into it. I'm sure he's been well aware of the approach and had the full discussion, but maybe surprised he's made the decision to go.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
very much that.....!! leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth i'm afraid and shows Calderwood and Villa up to be untrustworthy in their dealings.....not thinking much of Villa at all at the moment or Calderwood , unfortunately.

I'm afraid it's business [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION], if CC doesn't want to stay to see us, hopefully get promoted, then off you go son.
Not knowing what has gone on behind the scenes, people will make their own assumptions, but whoever CH brings in will have to be team Albion and not have one eye on big club syndrome ???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm afraid it's business [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION], if CC doesn't want to stay to see us, hopefully get promoted, then off you go son.
Not knowing what has gone on behind the scenes, people will make their own assumptions, but whoever CH brings in will have to be team Albion and not have one eye on big club syndrome ???

business it may be my son.....but doesn't stop me thinking ...**** him and **** villa too......natural enough reaction i suppose , hope we get some dough out of them....they've got plenty. when you hear that they paid 9 million for amavi (left back) it puts things in perspective.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Sadest part of last night hearing CH be so disappointed to lose a trusted friend and colleague - this will hurt

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hughton said Calderwood is now free to join Villa, so compensation must have been agreed.

I hope Colin has no idea who our January striker targets are !

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I really hope this doesn't affect the players or derail anything. It's never good when someone leaves to a rival. I hope the team can use it as a positive.

I've got a real dislike for Bruce. It's not his fault he looks a bit like your mates Gran but he,s far more sly than that. Behind the softly spoken rubbish he puts pressure on the officials all game and that rubbish with Jeniak not playing just sums him up. The thing is for him and Calderwood they will get Villa up this year via the play offs or next but what next? Their crazy owner will sack them as quickly as he can for a higher profile manager seeing as Villa are so MASSIVE.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I honestly can't believe that some people are accepting this as par for the course, that it was entirely coincidental being announced our Assistant Manager happened to toddle off to our opposition the day before we played them.

Not only was the timing of the leak very much intended, but I also believe CC was pursued for the very reason Villa perceive us as their greatest threat to an automatic, and any attempt to unsettle us would be welcomed. Let's be honest, the Assistant Manager role is not that impacting and they could have easily gone for quite a few other candidates, but they chose CH's right hand man and have undoubtedly thrown their financial clout at him. Before you know it, our players are thinking to themselves if management **** off to a 'bigger' club for more money, then why the **** shouldn't I, and the harmony is gone.

They did a job on us mentally. If you saw TB with bruce before the game, and CH with him after the game then you'd know that both our manager and owner are not happy people right now, and that quite obviosly trickled down to our players who looked devoid of confidence from minute 1. Within 10 mins of the game starting, we had already handed over possession in midfield half a dozen times and AK had tackled himself on the right wing more than once. It was plainly obvious where the game was going and i'm very thankful for a point under the circumstances.

You have to hand it to bruce, I thought the man was a **** before but he's an effective ****. Check out his sky interview where he says "and we just happened to be playing them ho ho", you wouldn't believe how disingenuous it is. He wants his promotion bonus and he doesn't give a shit who he has to piss off to get it. Sometimes I wish CH wasn't so graceful, but then I realise that's why he's great.

I just hope we can move past this and regroup before Fulham, as they will be no pushover.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I honestly can't believe that some people are accepting this as par for the course, that it was entirely coincidental being announced our Assistant Manager happened to toddle off to our opposition the day before we played them.

Not only was the timing of the leak very much intended, but I also believe CC was pursued for the very reason Villa perceive us as their greatest threat to an automatic, and any attempt to unsettle us would be welcomed. Let's be honest, the Assistant Manager role is not that impacting and they could have easily gone for quite a few other candidates, but they chose CH's right hand man and have undoubtedly thrown their financial clout at him. Before you know it, our players are thinking to themselves if management **** off to a 'bigger' club for more money, then why the **** shouldn't I, and the harmony is gone.

They did a job on us mentally. If you saw TB with bruce before the game, and CH with him after the game then you'd know that both our manager and owner are not happy people right now, and that quite obviosly trickled down to our players who looked devoid of confidence from minute 1. Within 10 mins of the game starting, we had already handed over possession in midfield half a dozen times and AK had tackled himself on the right wing more than once. It was plainly obvious where the game was going and i'm very thankful for a point under the circumstances.

You have to hand it to bruce, I thought the man was a **** before but he's an effective ****. Check out his sky interview where he says "and we just happened to be playing them ho ho", you wouldn't believe how disingenuous it is. He wants his promotion bonus and he doesn't give a shit who he has to piss off to get it. Sometimes I wish CH wasn't so graceful, but then I realise that's why he's great.

I just hope we can move past this and regroup before Fulham, as they will be no pushover.

Great post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This strikes me as a money grabbing move as Villa would have obviously offered more or he wouldnt have left

I expect Villa to be pushing for the play offs as I said pre season

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Should take it as back handed compliment then, if they see us as their biggest rival for 2nd, ahead of Norwich, Sheff Wed etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here