Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jonathan Pearce BBC commentary

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why the unnecessary abuse?
PS: he’s not. He lives in Sussex and supports Bristol City
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/tv_radio_coverage/newsid_1911000/1911008.stm

Correct.

His sons are 1901 members and he is often in our lounge.

However, I thought his commentary was really poor yesterday... At times it felt due to the above, he was trying to ‘prove’ he wasn’t biased by favouring Millwall.

Trying too hard springs to mind.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
JP is a big admirer of the Albion, lives locally and is a fine commentator. Nothing to see here.

Sums it up. A Bristol City fan with a soft spot for his local club Albion, and a professional eye for a good story. Which Millwall beating a Premier League club would have been. They played well. Pretty much every neutral watching wanted us to lose. When we play City, pretty much every neutral watching will want us to win. That’s the FA Cup.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm no fan of Pearce generally, but football commentary is about narrative these days, not balance. It's a more exciting narrative for plucky Millwall to take the scalp of a Premier League club than it is the other way around. They were pretty biased overall in Millwall's favour but I have to say they were very open about calling out the shocking referring. Jenas made a point of saying that the ref was essentially a "homer".

They has no qualms about the red, called the foul on Duffy as a blatant pen, called the foul by Dunk as ridiculous shortly thereafter, called the foul on Murray as a blatant foul, called the offside goal as clearly on and made it clear the officials were more biased that the Beeb were.

As to whether they wanted Millwall to win? As I said, it's a better narrative, so I expect that to a degree but I think it was pretty fair overall.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I thought the commentary was pretty good and fair. The beauty of the Cup is often the role of the underdog, I have no issue with that being the main discussion point on the show as a whole. Used to be us when we were a lower league side.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Liam Rosenior was as ever excellent in the studio btw.

Pearce was rightly positive about Millwall in patches because they were about to do another massive bit of giant killing - but he knows the Albion inside out and insightful things to say about almost all our players, far more than you get with other commentators/or Sky or radio. (Bar radio Sussex).
He certainly conveyed the excitement of Sollys 94th minute equaliser , and the BBC were clear we were robbed with the various not given decisions (penalty, their first, Locadia offside goal). And even questioned the ref at one point for not giving us much. (Bernardo ‘s yellow).

So no. I disagree with the OP

Saw Liam in the Barrowboy at LB after the game. He said a quick hello but was on his way out with a couple of mates: we speculated he might have had the call to go celebrate with the players.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His commentary for the equaliser is cracking. Lives in Hurstpierpoint I believe... he came to the Palace home match as a fan - saw him on the train with his mates. I also mistakenly thought he was Palace

Yep, Hurst Road I think - a few doors away from Dunky

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Does have a soft spot for us.
Have seen JP in the Evening Star post match on a couple times this season, including the Chelsea game.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
By some of the things he said during the game I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops on here to do his research before games. He is very knowledgeable about us but yesterday he was very biased - but I think that was the narrative being pushed by he BBC rather than himself. Jenas was also shit, but at least he called out how poor the officials were.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Love Jonathan Pearce. One of the few distinctive commentators left on TV.

Clearly has a soft spot for Albion. He used to write a column in our programme, didn't he?

Many years ago, I used to think he was Palace. Can't recall why.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

They did play on the underdog thing a bit, but then it’s the FA Cup, and that’s the magic of the competition. Plenty of reference to decisions and inconsistencies going against us and a summary of ‘it’s been a really tough afternoon for the officials’, which is commentary parlance for: the ref and linos have been ****ing shit.

The BBC market the Romance of the Cup - this is their live football brand. Not surprising that they will pick out this element in their coverage and they almost had their story...almost. We will get a bit more of that in the semi-final as we will be David and City will be Goliath.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
JP comes to watch the Albion a lot.

I thought he was quite balanced. They are bound to big up Millwall - another giant killing and all that etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Liam Rosenior was as ever excellent in the studio btw.

Pearce was rightly positive about Millwall in patches because they were about to do another massive bit of giant killing - but he knows the Albion inside out and insightful things to say about almost all our players, far more than you get with other commentators/or Sky or radio. (Bar radio Sussex).
He certainly conveyed the excitement of Sollys 94th minute equaliser , and the BBC were clear we were robbed with the various not given decisions (penalty, their first, Locadia offside goal). And even questioned the ref at one point for not giving us much. (Bernardo ‘s yellow).

So no. I disagree with the OP
Spot on. I thought Pearce was excellent, fair and reasonably balanced. Jenas (normally excellent) really was far worse. And I didn't feel he bought into the whole "Millwall deserved to win in 90 minutes" thing that permeated from all the other pundits despite the bare facts that three of the five or six major decisions WRONGLY went against us. They were very much glossed over with a matter of factly absence of analysis on the impact they had on the game. That's what annoyed me, not Pearce.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pearce was fine - the narrative was inevitable.
Jenas was okay too, and had the balls to come out and say that the referee was transparently biased to one side, which is very unusual.

The worst part of the BBC offering (sorry @Chailey_Jem ) was whatever trainee producer they had at the helm. Some of the camera choices were truly crap - resulting in repeatedly missing absolutely crucial bits of the action, to focus on various fat, flat capped Millwall fans. Here's a fat Millwall fan. Here's another one, with a baby. Oh look, here's Matt Ryan scrambling back desperately towards his own goal, after an almightly balls-up that we didn't even see live.

Same with the decent save Ryan made just after - the striker is clean through, 10 yards out, when the camera suddenly cuts to the action.

Terrible work.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jenas was okay too, and had the balls to come out and say that the referee was transparently biased to one side, which is very unusual.

The worst part of the BBC offering (sorry @Chailey_Jem ) was whatever trainee producer they had at the helm. Some of the camera choices were truly crap - resulting in repeatedly missing absolutely crucial bits of the action, to focus on various fat, flat capped Millwall fans. Here's a fat Millwall fan. Here's another one, with a baby. Oh look, here's Matt Ryan scrambling back desperately towards his own goal, after an almightly balls-up that we didn't even see live.

Same with the decent save Ryan made just after - the striker is clean through, 10 yards out, when the camera suddenly cuts to the action.

Terrible work.

Don’t agree re Pearce, but.......

Yes, I’d almost forgotten the camera work and production, really poor.....

At one point they were using the camera that needed a good wipe.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Terrible work.

The train footage was a bit more exciting that the entire first half to be fair.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Terrible work.

The Director had a very bad day. In the BBC's defence, they don't get a great deal of practice on live games any more so it's often rough around the edges. The current obsession with 'colour' shots is a real problem though. BT Sport are now in the habit of putting 'emotion' shots on the end of their replays. When the French did that during France '98 it was derided by most of Europe at the time and had thankfully not been widely adopted elsewhere (at the World Cup, they use match Directors from various countries and it used to be quite easy to tell who was doing which match despite the best efforts to standardise the coverage).

It's a football match. Replays are there for a reason - and then we want to watch the bloody football. Thanks.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Terrible work.

Don’t agree re Pearce, but.......

Yes, I’d almost forgotten the camera work and production, really poor.....

At one point they were using the camera that needed a good wipe.

The train footage was a bit more exciting that the entire first half to be fair.

Oh yes. Right near the end of the match they cut to the dug outs for a reaction shot from one of the managers, and when they cut back to THE ACTUAL GAME THAT WAS GOING ON, Maty Ryan has the ball with 2 Millwall players about 4 feet away! I almost had a heart attack.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And before the game started they kept doing a fade from 1 shot to another but left the original on the screen like a ghostly image for 10 seconds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pearce:
"Millwall have said to the Premier League big boys, step into our den, come into the lion's den, we have the pride, we have the roar..."

**** off Pearce you tw@.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here