Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The return of capital punishment?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Capital punishment has never and will be a deterrent. It doesn’t work. History shows us this. The American justice system shows us this. If incredibly severe punishments for minor misdemeanours didn’t stop crime back in the day, what makes anyone think it’ll bringing back an outdated and barbaric judicial practice would stop criminals now?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
State sponsored murder. No state should be given such authority over citizens. Start of a slippery slope.

Retrospective sentencing would not be possible anyway.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think that if a child or family member is murdered in cold blood, the whole family should be allowed in a locked room with the murderer for half an hour... Level things up and all that.

Although I don't agree with capital punishment, having a hand amputated for theft seems to be working a charm in the Middle East. Burglary rates are insanely low, as are shoplifting and car theft... Also, the Police take no shit.

Result : https://www.thenational.ae/uae/abu-...net-with-lowest-crime-rate-numbeo-com-1.70632

That said, there are also some awful examples of them (and the governments) going too far... I'll give you that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Until we are confident our legal system has a 100% chance of convicting the right person correctly, no chance. Things are bad enough as it is, especially if you don't qualify for legal aid. Imagine being falsely accused and having to sell your house to pay for a solicitor & barrister, knowing that if you lose it is quite literally all over.

This is the state of our Justice system now since 2010. It is a mess.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...-through-boris-johnsons-criminal-justice-con/

No, to capital punishment.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Well only counting the cases of the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four that's ten people who would have been wrongfully hanged. Add to that the four wrongfully convicted of Carl Bridgewater's murder. That brings the total to fourteen in just three cases alone. So on that basis. NO.

Dave Clarke five should be hung for the god awful song of theirs.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
With another Policeman murdered in the line of duty if there was a referendum to bring back the death penalty, would this country vote to bring back hanging for certain crimes, killing of police officers, children, terrorist offences etc?

And would the pro hanging lobby also campaign for retrospective death sentences?

The names of Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting spring to mind.

Really hope not because the system generally gets it wrong some of the time. However with the insane Pritti Patel I would not be surprised if she mentioned it for no other reason than to endear herself and the Tories to those who read the Daily Fail

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, Im not a pacifist but we have an appalling habit of hanging the wrong bloody person.

Actually we don't (not that I'm recommending it's return in any way) - even one wrong person hung is one too many, obviously, but we really haven't got a habit of hanging lots of wrong people, according to the laws in place at that time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With another Policeman murdered in the line of duty if there was a referendum to bring back the death penalty, would this country vote to bring back hanging for certain crimes, killing of police officers, children, terrorist offences etc?
Don't think so - though I wouldn't like to bet on it.

The names of Ian Huntley and Roy Whiting spring to mind.
Although with those two one does wonder about perhaps just the odd exception or two...........!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s against the law. And rather knee jerk. A progressive society cannot allow. Something however needs to be done about rising levels of crime and the blatant disregard for law and order. Maybe some harsh words on a box of fried chicken? Perhaps it is time everyone just took up arms, least law abiders would stand a chance. The race to the bottom was won ages ago by these general scum. Now we need to confront not comfort them. If life’s that cheap in their eyes then they won’t mind losing theirs will they?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Absolutely, emphatically no. Capital Punishment is barbaric, medieval and doesn't work as a deterrent. Look a the US and you'll see how it impacts on the poor, the uneducated and, in certain states race.

Plus, pragmatically, it costs a fortune given the amount of time people spend on death Row.

Hope we have learned a lesson about referenda.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
How many people have won appeals against murder convictions over the last 40 years?

50, 100?

Would their deaths have been a price worth paying?

TB

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Capital punishment has never and will be a deterrent. It doesn’t work. History shows us this. The American justice system shows us this. If incredibly severe punishments for minor misdemeanours didn’t stop crime back in the day, what makes anyone think it’ll bringing back an outdated and barbaric judicial practice would stop criminals now?

I’m against capital punishment because of mistakes. I don’t care about the deterrent angle, as you say it doesn’t work. But I would support as a punishment, I don’t think punishment shouldn’t be carried out because it doesn’t work for everyone all of the time. On that basis you’d do away with punishment altogether. Nope, it should be there because it’s horrible, nasty, feared, inconvenient... whatever. As a sanction, a rule of society that if you break the law you pay a price. Whether that’s a fine, points on licence or forfeit your life. Whatever the statutory book says. People should be punished. Equally, society should be a lot fairer. That ain’t going to happen either though. My conclusion? There but for the grace of god go I...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here