Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy *** SIGNED on ONE YEAR LOAN DEAL ***

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Compared to our current CM's that is Prolific

Stephens = 1 goal and one assist last season
pooper = 1 goal and one assist last season.

you'd have to be a blinkered partisan to think this isn't an upgrade.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Isn't Mooy also a decent FK taker? Handy in a team which has just lost one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So he has a batter scoring record than Knocky, from a less attacking position, in an even crappier side ? And people are underwhelmed with the signing ? :shrug::shrug:

Unbelievable Jeff!

Rated Mooy for a long time, thought he was stand out when they went up, and when they stayed up that first season against the odds, thought it was largely down to his performances not only bossing midfield, but opening up space ahead of him, as well as driving into spaces with the ball.

He's at the peak of his career, hungry to stay in the Premier League, I think this is a great signing by the club, and just the type of player I think Potter wants.

It's a jump up the mojo meter for me. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Considering his position on the pitch and heatmaps, he is most comparable to Gross in that list.

Not when I've seen him play. Have these heatmaps been posted? Were these pre or post Wagner? Under Wagner, he was an out and out central midfield player, perhaps the one with more attacking responsibility like Propper often had, but way back from a Gross hovering around the strikers and wingers role.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Considering his position on the pitch and heatmaps, he is most comparable to Gross in that list. And I'm almost certain he took their penalties.

I'm not saying he's a bad signing, I think he will certainly strengthen our squad and give more choices in CM with Kayal likely moving on.

Trying to amend history and suggesting he is a free scoring midfielder though and a significant upgrade on what we have is absurd, he wouldn't have scored anywhere near as many goals if deployed in CH's rigid formation.

The biggest irony is people suggesting he will replace Stephens, when Mooy doesn't really play that role.
You wouldn't of thought that was so difficult to see, yet here we are again.

It's one thing to be a forward thinking midfielder for Huddersfield, hopefully it'll be a joy to be a forward thinking midfielder in the Potterverse.

But that's very different to being an 'only lose 1-0' midfielder under Mr Hughton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When you consider the number of Hudds fans on their forum saying he's the greatest player ever to pull on their shirt, that ought to tell you something.

Mooy is one of those rare players who are capable of controlling the game. He didn't do it so much last year - for reasons that others have raised - but he is pure quality. Very comfortable holding the ball, brilliant passing range, superb vision, outstanding dead ball delivery and ferocious tackler. I sat close to the fence when Australia played France last year in Russia and Mooy completely bossed the midfield against Pogba and Kante. His tackle on Griezmann in the first ten minutes was stunning (must be YouTube-able).

Also, he is a lot faster than the fans seem to think - wins a lot of ball and moves just as fast as he has to.

Be excited if you get him. I believe I said the same thing about Mat Ryan.
Hmmm ..... I'm coming round to the idea of Mooy, especially if it's a loan deal (I really do want and expect some of our youngsters to be playing a significant part next season). It was clear last season that what we really needed was a beast of a dominant rampaging CM with a few goals in him. The need is less pressing (though still desirable) under Potter than it would have been under CH, and I don't think Mooy is that player, but he's decent, no doubt about that.
I think a lot of my doubts were based on the fact that it seems to be a bit of a turn-around from the direction we were heading under Potter (which looked quite promising), but as a CM improvement on loan while the youngsters get up to speed, I'm in. Three, four, five year deal and a hefty (record breaking type) fee, and I've still got my doubts.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hmmm ..... I'm coming round to the idea of Mooy, especially if it's a loan deal (I really do want and expect some of our youngsters to be playing a significant part next season). It was clear last season that what we really needed was a beast of a dominant rampaging CM with a few goals in him. The need is less pressing (though still desirable) under Potter than it would have been under CH, and I don't think Mooy is that player, but he's decent, no doubt about that.
I think a lot of my doubts were based on the fact that it seems to be a bit of a turn-around from the direction we were heading under Potter (which looked quite promising), but as a CM improvement on loan while the youngsters get up to speed, I'm in. Three, four, five year deal and a hefty (record breaking type) fee, and I've still got my doubts.

I think the direction you are referencing is a long-term goal and we are closer than ever to having at least a couple of young players pushing into the first team.

But we're not quite there yet, and it wouldn't be sensible to risk PL status by rushing it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm looking forward to those claiming Potter wants to throw the youth in, trying to justify signing a medicore, 29 year old.

Oh this signing isn't to appease those people, they've already got Maupay and a bunch of U23s with the first team squad. THIS signing is to appease those who bemoan the lack of Premier league experience in our signings. It's really win-win all round, something for everyone :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh this signing isn't to appease those people, they've already got Maupay and a bunch of U23s with the first team squad. THIS signing is to appease those who bemoan the lack of Premier league experience in our signings. It's really win-win all round, something for everyone :thumbsup:

Final box ticked to avoid difficult questions at the forum like 'why don't we EVER sign anyone with PL experience'.............

.....so we're going to be back to plans to expand the Amex, leaving someone up at corners and flasks.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

This. Then Huds can have him back next summer to bolster their League One promotion challenge.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Final box ticked to avoid difficult questions at the forum like 'why don't we EVER sign anyone with PL experience'.............

.....so we're going to be back to plans to expand the Amex, leaving someone up at corners and flasks.

And uncivilised behaviour - like standing up, singing songs and cheering the team - at away games.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Trying to amend history and suggesting he is a free scoring midfielder though and a significant upgrade on what we have is absurd, he wouldn't have scored anywhere near as many goals if deployed in CH's rigid formation.

You wouldn't of thought that was so difficult to see, yet here we are again.

It's one thing to be a forward thinking midfielder for Huddersfield, hopefully it'll be a joy to be a forward thinking midfielder in the Potterverse.

But that's very different to being an 'only lose 1-0' midfielder under Mr Hughton.

:facepalm:

Like Huddersfield were more offensive.:lolol:

Talk about shaping a narrative to support your own.

Take the blinkers off, the jockeys are under starters orders!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here