Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Philip Billing

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Solanke ? Defoe ? Ibe ?
They’ve spent a fortune and had hits (Brooks so far obviously) and misses like everyone else including us.

Solanke and Ibe scored yesterday, too young to dismiss just yet I would suggest.

Wasn’t Defoe also a near miss for us at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Solanke and Ibe scored yesterday, too young to dismiss just yet I would suggest.

Wasn’t Defoe also a near miss for us at the time?

Of course not - that wasn't really my point - more that the idea - often accepted on here - that Bournemouth (and anyone else) strike gold with every signing and conversely we sign dud after dud after dud is perhaps over the top.

See also in that vein - we haven't made any signings and everyone else has - its unfair etc.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course not - that wasn't really my point - more that the idea - often accepted on here - that Bournemouth (and anyone else) strike gold with every signing and conversely we sign dud after dud after dud is perhaps over the top.

See also in that vein - we haven't made any signings and everyone else has - its unfair etc.

I think their ‘hit’ rate seems better, (probably psychological as they score against us). arguably Bernardo and Gross must be comparable with any ‘bargain’ signing in recent times.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we have the money, i think we would all love a marquee signing.

Don't think Billing makes that category, No thanks.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think their ‘hit’ rate seems better, (probably psychological as they score against us). arguably Bernardo and Gross must be comparable with any ‘bargain’ signing in recent times.

Perhaps their hit rate is better because they target players whose game can be raised? Same with Burnley; lots of meh comments when they signed Rodriguez but my guess is he will do alright for them,

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Hudds fans I've seen are quite happy to see the back of him. Apparently a 'bad egg' with poor attitude and inconsistent. Think we've done well to avoid. Having said that, he will probably go on to do wonders for Smug Eddie and this thread will be bounced both times they demolish us next season.[SUB][/SUB]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My thoughts? We were never going to beat Bournemouth in the chase for a player

How have we got to the point where we accept that we'll never compete with B'muff for a player? And if we can't compete with them, what hope anyone outside the Prem? Did they just get lucky with the timing of their promotion? Jumped on the gravy train as it left the station.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Solanke ? Defoe ? Ibe ?
They’ve spent a fortune and had hits (Brooks so far obviously) and misses like everyone else including us.

Mousset? Mings? Grabban? er, Murray?

For every Aaron Brooks or Nathan Ake there's one who didn't come off and one who has been so-so. Same at most clubs. The difference is that their owner (now a British citizen, I believe) seems willing to pay what looks like ridiculous money for fairly average players. But that's balanced by unearthing good players like Josh King for nothing.

People are too keen to suggest that Ali J and Locadia's stumbles represent a failure of our recruitment department, while forgetting that Ryan, Duffy, Bernardo, Bissouma, Propper, Knockaert, Izquierdo and Gross have worked out pretty well. Plus we have produced two Premier League-quality players in Dunk and March, which Bournemouth haven't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mousset? Mings? Grabban? er, Murray?

For every Aaron Brooks or Nathan Ake there's one who didn't come off and one who has been so-so. Same at most clubs. The difference is that their owner (now a British citizen, I believe) seems willing to pay what looks like ridiculous money for fairly average players. But that's balanced by unearthing good players like Josh King for nothing.

People are too keen to suggest that Ali J and Locadia's stumbles represent a failure of our recruitment department, while forgetting that Ryan, Duffy, Bernardo, Bissouma, Propper, Knockaert, Izquierdo and Gross have worked out pretty well. Plus we have produced two Premier League-quality players in Dunk and March, which Bournemouth haven't.

And we nearly signed Grabban at one point. Dodged a bullet there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How have we got to the point where we accept that we'll never compete with B'muff for a player? And if we can't compete with them, what hope anyone outside the Prem? Did they just get lucky with the timing of their promotion? Jumped on the gravy train as it left the station.

Well it’s a fact though isn’t it? We couldn’t even tempt Grabban away from them when we were both in the Championship. Since then they have invested more in players and wages whilst we have gone for getting the infrastructure for the future as the first consideration. Logic says that we will be a more desirable option in the future, just how far in the future is debatable.

Bournemouth remain in front of us as a Premier League club, more likely to stay up than us and paying more for and to players. It’s fecking annoying isn’t it?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well it’s a fact though isn’t it? We couldn’t even tempt Grabban away from them when we were both in the Championship. Since then they have invested more in players and wages whilst we have gone for getting the infrastructure for the future as the first consideration. Logic says that we will be a more desirable option in the future, just how far in the future is debatable.

Bournemouth remain in front of us as a Premier League club, more likely to stay up than us and paying more for and to players. It’s fecking annoying isn’t it?

We seem unable to compete now. We will be able to in the future, as long as we stay in the Prem.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Horrendous haircut. Why would you choose for your hair to be the shape of a mushroom?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here