Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Bale: What a waste

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm afraid I have zero respect for the likes of Gareth Bale - already rich beyond the dreams of 99.9% of the population, and STILL they want to earn more. He's not alone, of course, so nothing personal. But the type of avarice demonstrated by the likes of Bale is one of the reasons this planet is so f*cked. Of course, he could be giving most of it to charity - but somehow I doubt it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems like Zidane being a c**t to me.

Bale has been the ultimate professional, not gone grizzling anywhere, kept his head down, cracked on and always available when called upon. Their other winger Asensio done his cruciate this week in one of their friendlies and is out for the season, Bale scores against Arsenal, and still ZZ says "nothings changed". He wants him gone.

Bale must have banged his missus or something.

For some reason the fans don’t like him much either :shrug:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I believe Bale banging the club is the issue.

They just can't afford his bazillion pound a week contract, begging the question 'why sign him to such a contract?' and need him gone.
But he can't go as nobody will pick up his contract and unsurprisingly he's not prepared to say 'you know what I've made my money I'm offski'.

So Real find themselves in the position of needing to treat Bale badly, while he laughs at them and concentrates on his putting.

Seems like the reason to me too.

They want to sign new superstars but can't (easily) whilst paying for Bale's services (due to FFP)

Force him out, and they free up that money to be able to bring in new signings but they know there are limited options for where he can go so a big fee is out so they are reliant on someone being able to offer the wages required to be able to get him to leave, which limits the number of possibles and means that China is left as one of the few destinations that can pay for his services so it would cost them more in wages than he was already on to persuade him to go

By treating him badly it signals his availability to potential buyers out there and it makes the player more likely to agree to any move to get away from the situation he faces at Real, and makes it more likely he'd accept a lower wage should another big club come along just to get away (European - which has't happened as they can't afford his services due to FFP).

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm afraid I have zero respect for the likes of Gareth Bale - already rich beyond the dreams of 99.9% of the population, and STILL they want to earn more. He's not alone, of course, so nothing personal. But the type of avarice demonstrated by the likes of Bale is one of the reasons this planet is so f*cked. Of course, he could be giving most of it to charity - but somehow I doubt it.

The envy of those who have, and also the basic lack of understanding of market forces?

With so many other issues out there, none of which a footballer is causing (like plastic pollution, deforestation, etc) their wages are what's f@#ked the planet - Yeah right :facepalm:

How many say that Bill Gates has too much money and should be giving away his Windows software for free, or Guy Laliberté (Cique Du Soleil founder) should be giving the seats away to his shows as he is a Billionaire but footballers, who will end up with far less money that these kinds of people from their career as greedy for wanting to earn more money whilst they are still able to

Stumpy Tim

For some reason the fans don’t like him much either :shrug:

They also booed Ronaldo at times. Absolute bellends.

The thing with Bale is that he's won everything at Real Madrid, so going to another big club probably doesn't motivate him too much. He must know that he's never going to be in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo, so why bother even trying to emulate them. I have to be honest, I would be very tempted to do the same in his position.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They also booed Ronaldo at times. Absolute bellends.

The thing with Bale is that he's won everything at Real Madrid, so going to another big club probably doesn't motivate him too much. He must know that he's never going to be in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo, so why bother even trying to emulate them. I have to be honest, I would be very tempted to do the same in his position.

Most would, but he had issues settling in Spain - so no idea how he will in China.....

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So he hasn't already provided enough security for his family?

Other start like Ronaldo and Messi have turned down the ludicrous money in China to keep playing in the top leagues, whereas Bale has sold out. Up to him of course, but to many of us it seems like a waste.

Completely different. His current club don’t want him, so if he wants to play football regularly, he has to move. No one forced Messi and Ronaldo to move.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If a player works for nothing, who makes / gains that money instead? the club? the owner? It's going to go somewhere so why not the player(s) who are helping generate that income? (blame the Bosman ruling for the amount of power players have and the ability to hold clubs to ransom, causing wage inflation and meaning a lot of clubs are running at a loss rather than making money and securing their long term futures in this time of sky high incomes)
Or how about the money is returned to the fans in the form of reasonable ticket prices. Or distributed more fairly to smaller clubs or grass roots projects to make the game more sustainable

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Whether in football or not the maim motivation of rich men seems to me to be richer than their peers.

He doesn't need this move from a finance point of view. Its his ego that won't let him take a pay drop. What a complete waste of his talent

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s his ego that won't let him take a pay drop. What a complete waste of his talent

I suspect it’s also his agent stopping him playing competitive meaningful football again.

With his mouth 3” from Bale’s ear repeating ‘take the money, take the money’ over and over again for hours on end as Bale tries to concentrate on FIFA. The agent in question will be bagging £15m+ you’d have to assume, they go into their profession driven by a profound love of money, not a love of football or people.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If he needs somewhere to stay I'll convert my workshop into a Granny annexe, low rent, no bills, should fit in with local wages.

There might be a place available for him at Brighton if he's interested. As has been mentioned, he doesn't need a huge wage to pay the bills.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agents should be illegal, I can't think of a profession which wants needs or has any with any credibility, or discernible qualification.

I suspect it’s also his agent stopping him playing competitive meaningful football again.

With his mouth 3” from Bale’s ear repeating ‘take the money, take the money’ over and over again for hours on end as Bale tries to concentrate on FIFA. The agent in question will be bagging £15m+ you’d have to assume, they go into their profession driven by a profound love of money, not a love of football or people.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I never quite understood the reason for that. Seems like a modest kind of fellow with a good work ethic that keeps his head down and scores some stunning goals. What gives?

Toxic club to play for, the dream destination for just about every player, the reality somewhat different, requiring serious mental strength. Big egos, high expectations, overbearing board/hierarchy, manager ever looking over his shoulder, even if they somehow managed to enter and win the World Cup. All in all a well paid, not overly enjoyable shitemare, with some glorious weather thrown in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I never quite understood the reason for that. Seems like a modest kind of fellow with a good work ethic that keeps his head down and scores some stunning goals. What gives?

No idea, apart from looking like he has just come off the set of some film about Genghis Khan, he seems a fairly low maintenance Superstar to me, from the outside :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If you believe the Madrid take on it:-

He doesn't involve himself with the team or fans, spends all his time playing golf and has hardly learned any Spanish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here