Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion-free Championship Playoffs thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, I no longer have any nerve ends left. That last half an hour was the longest of my entire life. Genuinely felt sick during injury time!

Great defending though. Our tactics were perfect over both legs.

OFF TO WEMBLEY!!

I think you've got this sewn up. Wednesday choked at Wembley last year and they'll do the same if they get lucky against Huddersfield (which I think they will).

In a one off cup final I would fancy Huddersfield against Reading. They will press the ball and test that defence at pace. Reading's defence looked ok against Fulham but it's been porous against quick breaking teams during the season. I would massively (see what I did there?) fancy Reading against Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

I'm just glad we're not involved. *lights cigar*

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just seen that quote from Wagner again about Newcastle being certain to go up, but not us.

Pretty disrespectful. Will you CHOKE tonight, Wagner ? ??? ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't watch the analysis
I didn't either, but the commentators said it was a pen - I disagreed with them.
but having seen the picture of Kermogant hand-balling it first, I think you are right. Fulham were very unfortunate.
Yeah I don't know what to make of the photo, as you can't judge the movement, but their arms were certainly tussling, which makes me think it wasn't deliberate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, I no longer have any nerve ends left. That last half an hour was the longest of my entire life. Genuinely felt sick during injury time!
That's why I was so desperate to finish top two, I just couldn't take the stress of the playoffs again.

Great defending though. Our tactics were perfect over both legs.
:lol: You got battered last night, rode your luck and won thanks to a dodgy penalty. I'd hardly call that perfect tactics.

Still, congratulations on the win.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
That's why I was so desperate to finish top two, I just couldn't take the stress of the playoffs again.

:lol: You got battered last night, rode your luck and won thanks to a dodgy penalty. I'd hardly call that perfect tactics.

Still, congratulations on the win.

Well, we got "battered" when we tried to match up Fulham at Craven Cottage earlier in the season, Stam adjusted the game-plan to stop that happening again and it worked (twice), so in my eyes the tactics were spot on. Let's not forget that had Swift not missed a sitter we would've taken a comfortable lead, we didn't, so we dug in, and Fulham were obviously going to get chances with the quality they have. Especially considering we were missing our captain and Obita (who had Fredericks in his pocket in the 1st leg), and Kelly who has been a key player on the transition for us this season.

I thought we exposed them as a bit of a one-trick pony, to be honest.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Well, we got "battered" when we tried to match up Fulham at Craven Cottage earlier in the season, Stam adjusted the game-plan to stop that happening again and it worked (twice), so in my eyes the tactics were spot on. Let's not forget that had Swift not missed a sitter we would've taken a comfortable lead, we didn't, so we dug in, and Fulham were obviously going to get chances with the quality they have. Especially considering we were missing our captain and Obita (who had Fredericks in his pocket in the 1st leg), and Kelly who has been a key player on the transition for us this season.

I thought we exposed them as a bit of a one-trick pony, to be honest.

Reckon you'll lose anyone if you don't make it through the final?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Some stand out player last night?

Fredricks at RB for Fulham. I know Bruno will NEVER retire and I don't even want to contemplate it.....but this guy would be a hell of a replacement one day.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I wasn't sure who to support until I learned that Reading was the side to Dai for.

_92732634_yongge_xiu_li_combo_rex.jpg

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Nnnnnnngggggg. There was a certain grim inevitability about last night. Conceding esky in the 2nd half has been a habit this season and our lack of a proper centre forward has cost us dear. We panicked a bit in both legs and Aluko's shooting was even worse than normal. On the plus side, there were about 30 of us at the Welly! And according to Jokonavic, we winter be releasing Cairney, Sessignon etc.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Nnnnnnngggggg. There was a certain grim inevitability about last night. Conceding esky in the 2nd half has been a habit this season and our lack of a proper centre forward has cost us dear. We panicked a bit in both legs and Aluko's shooting was even worse than normal. On the plus side, there were about 30 of us at the Welly! And according to Jokonavic, we winter be releasing Cairney, Sessignon etc.

Commiserations mate. I might put a cheeky fiver on you guys to get promoted next season, hopefully you can keep your players and add some more.

Obviously, I hope we won't be playing you :D

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And according to Jokonavic, we winter be releasing Cairney, Sessignon etc.
Needs a rich and brave chairman. Bloom took a big gamble with Stephens as well as big pay rises for Dunk and Knocky, presumably with a gentleman's agreement/release clause if we didn't go up. Hard to keep a player who has their head turned.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It's been a shit situation for you, that your one proper centre forward is a complete dick, and made clear he didn't want to be there. Massive chance for him right at the end last night too - you'd expect him of all people to bury that header 7 times out of 10.

Gutted for Fulham. Reading would add as much to the Prem as Boro.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Here we go again, a tenner on Huddersfield to win, can't stand Wednesday :lol:
My favourite game of the season was beating them at our place, lost my voice singing and calling Wallace a cheating **** which I'm delighted to say he heard!
[MENTION=24759]FloatLeft[/MENTION] having another go this evening?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seeing the teams come out into a packed stadium with no flags, clackers or other shit American influenced stuff is very refreshing. Please can we bin all that bollocks for the next big game we screw up in :smile:

Bloody naff Jeff Beck music to run out to though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here