Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Of The Day 9/3/2019 - Official Thread

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
It was close, but he looked dead level to me.

They made it sound like we burgled Selhurst and nicked their sweets. No positive comments apart from Murray's class. Nothing about Dunk's magnificent performance or our superb organisation. It's like they were all Palace fans in mourning. Consoling Roy like he'd been mugged by hoodies for his pension. Absolute tools.

I always get the feeling that Lineker and co. regard little old Brighton as gatecrashers at the big boys party, and that we will soon return to our rightful place ( ie . outside the Premier League )

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I always get the feeling that Lineker and co. regard little old Brighton as gatecrashers at the big boys party, and that we will soon return to our rightful place ( ie . outside the Premier League )

Nailed it.

Tossers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I've never understood that, especially when it comes from fans of MASSIVE clubs such as Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, etc. Basically living off past glories as justification for being at the top table, as opposed to recognising that all 20 teams in the Premier League deserve to be there on merit.

That's what also does my head in about the fans calling for CH to go. He's got a job to do this season – and that job is staying in the PL. Looks likely he'll achieve that goal, so what's the problem?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Disappointed that they didn't show the 3 penalty shouts 1 that was given and 2 that were not. Is not that one of their remits to highlight such incidents?

They did, didn't they?

They showed the Duffy one, they (obviously) showed the one that was given, and I'm pretty sure they showed the one at the very last moment of the first half, too? :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They did, didn't they?

They showed the Duffy one, they (obviously) showed the one that was given, and I'm pretty sure they showed the one at the very last moment of the first half, too? :shrug:

Garth Crooks has given that to Dunk in his team of the week awards :facepalm:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do you mean in the commentary, rather than the analysis? I thought Jonathon Pearce actually said "unquestionably ONside" :shrug:

The analysis said he was offside BEFORE the pass, and there was no reason for Van Aarholt to drop back, as he was in line with the other defenders. However, it was the run of Jahanbaksh on the left wing that threw the Palace line out of kilter which meant VA dropped back and made AK onside when Stephens passed to him.

el punal

I've never understood that, especially when it comes from fans of MASSIVE clubs such as Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, etc. Basically living off past glories as justification for being at the top table, as opposed to recognising that all 20 teams in the Premier League deserve to be there on merit.

That's what also does my head in about the fans calling for CH to go. He's got a job to do this season – and that job is staying in the PL. Looks likely he'll achieve that goal, so what's the problem?

I think the vast majority of Albion fans know that Chris Hughton is doing a great job despite the odd grumble here and there. With regard to the so-called big clubs outside the Premier League thinking that they have a God given right to be with the elite, more fool them. The clubs that you mentioned have been so badly run that they deserve to be where they are at present. As you have rightly described the “lesser” clubs, us, Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield as examples, have every right to be in the Premier League simply because we achieved promotion on merit and not relying on a managerial revolving door policy or an over used cheque book.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Do you mean in the commentary, rather than the analysis? I thought Jonathon Pearce actually said "unquestionably ONside" :shrug:

"Suspicions of offside", in the commentary, first replay of the goal, STV extended highlights 18.35. Whatever is said about that wonderful goal, it was not offside. Dead level. :):bowdown:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just watched the extended highlights on Seagulls TV.

I was amazed at how little seemed to be made of the challenge at the time.
You would have expected the crowd to be chanting Off! Off! Off! if it was felt to be such a bad challenge at the time.

It was just one of those 50/50s that often end up with one coming off worse than the other.
Ref got the call right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the vast majority of Albion fans know that Chris Hughton is doing a great job despite the odd grumble here and there. With regard to the so-called big clubs outside the Premier League thinking that they have a God given right to be with the elite, more fool them. The clubs that you mentioned have been so badly run that they deserve to be where they are at present. As you have rightly described the “lesser” clubs, us, Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield as examples, have every right to be in the Premier League simply because we achieved promotion on merit and not relying on a managerial revolving door policy or an over used cheque book.

Not having that, Bournemouth flouted FFP for their promotion and have invested feck all in the infrastructure since. “Plucky Bournemouth media darlings” is built on sand. Once they get relegated they are fecked. Good manager though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just watched the extended highlights on Seagulls TV.

I was amazed at how little seemed to be made of the challenge at the time.
You would have expected the crowd to be chanting Off! Off! Off! if it was felt to be such a bad challenge at the time.

It was just one of those 50/50s that often end up with one coming off worse than the other.
Ref got the call right.

When we played Burnley Pawson got it wrong with two sending offs early doors, that was probably on his mind....I hope

el punal

Not having that, Bournemouth flouted FFP for their promotion and have invested feck all in the infrastructure since. “Plucky Bournemouth media darlings” is built on sand. Once they get relegated they are fecked. Good manager though.

Yes, you’re probably right regarding the Bournemouth situation financially, but having said that they’ve managed to stay in the top flight now for four(?) seasons and played some pretty good football. Mind you, if they did go down they’ll be suffering as, I believe, their gate receipts only account for 4% of their turnover. The TV revenue in the Championship will be peanuts to that of the PL - ouch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here