Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we used up all our luck this season?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Go away Barberbot, bored with you now :wave:

I've been at West Ham, Fulham and Leicester. Three painful evenings. Wednesday was my 13th away game in a row without a win. Its tough following the club at the moment.
That said i've a different view to you as to our chances this season (still good), how we're currently playing (well), and i disagree that we're now a "mid table championship side". (laughable) and to my own name (not Paul , or Barber or Bot).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No doubting the 2nd half performance at Fulham was shameful. However, even in that match, if Propper’s shot was 1 inch lower just before half time we probably would have taken home 3 points.

SPOT ON . It would have been over and done.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've been at West Ham, Fulham and Leicester. Three painful evenings. Wednesday was my 13th away game in a row without a win. Its tough following the club at the moment.
That said i've a different view to you as to our chances this season (still good), how we're currently playing (well), and i disagree that we're now a "mid table championship side". (laughable) and to my own name (not Paul , or Barber or Bot).

West Ham was very different to Fulham. At Fulham we were amazing in first half and amazingly bad in the second against West Ham we were huffing and puffing as were they though they probably shaded it. We scored 2 goals from nowhere and were in shock and they just got back at us very quickly. It was a mad 10 minutes.

What I will say about Fulham & WHU is they had players (Mitrovic & Arnoutovic) who really can turn a game by themselves we have lacked that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree with this to a point

I think there are some amazing bargains to be had out there, Groß is one and although he wasn’t cheap Propper is looking a player worth twice what we paid for him.

However, sometimes you just have to spend bigger alongside it .... for example on a goalscorer. I know it’s been done to death on here but it’s the one part of our team that consistantly fails.
When I heard Barber on talk sport saying we have enough and won’t be signing anyone in January I feared the worst. A big signing lifts the team Newcastle for example,

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
There's no such thing as luck. :thumbsup:

Luck is the concept that defines the experience of notably positive, negative, or improbable events. The naturalistic interpretation is that positive and negative events happen all the time in human lives, both due to random and non-random natural and artificial processes, and that even improbable events can happen by random chance. In this view, being "lucky" or "unlucky" is simply a descriptive label that points out an event's positivity, negativity, or improbability.

FFS Murray's nailed on scoring opportunities, er sorry, misses against Leicester were negative events.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Luck evens out over the season. More to the point is a lack of goals from elsewhere, Izzy injured and new signings not hitting the target more frequently.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think if luck is a thing, we may have used our luck up, but at this point I think we're earning more for the future, hopefully to see it in the rest of the run in.

they'd say the same about Glenn Murray i guess.

Can he really? Murray's goals have been very important for us, but how many has he made himself compared to being in the right place to put them away? I don't mean to minimise the very important part of putting them away (the cliche when a good chance goes begging of 'having done the hard work' is laughably inaccurate, putting it in the goal is just as hard). But to me to be a player who 'turns a game' you need to do more of the work yourself, you need to change the game. Mitrovic and Arnoutovic don't just get on the end of things, they also bully opponents, win the ball and move it forward drive the team in attacking. They take there teams from being on the back foot under pressure and push the team forward. I don't see that in Murray, if he isn't getting service, he becomes ineffective (as do most of our strikers when played alone up front). Not sure I see it in any of our players. Izquierdo and Knockaert can be positive and forward thinking, but I'm not sure they have the bullying side of the game down.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think we had a really lucky run and the team thought they were safe and switched off a bit. That can make all the difference.

If you don't think the team are capable of that, you only have to go back to our promotion season when we threw the title away.

I do think we are now fully back on it now and I think the results will start to reflect that (hopefully tomorrow).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here